Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

how is it measured - tire wear

Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 AM
LugZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how is it measured - tire wear

Other than the obvious *with a ruler* for the smart asses on this site, how does the dealership measure your tires to see if you are eligible for tire replacement? Do they measure the tread depth of the rear tires which read tire wear more accurately than the front even though they are the drive tires or do they do the front? Also...do they measure from the feathered shoulder or the middle of the tire or outside shoulder?

Discuss?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:13 AM
SekZee

i was wondering about that too, nobody seems to know the answer, besides the smarta$$es who replied with something like: "with the ruler", "do a search".... typical forum bulleys who dont know anything.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:27 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

When I called my dealer and talked to the service manager she was skimming thru her letter from Nissan. I recall her saying that the measurement was taken from the inner tread blocks, not the edge. It is also taken on the front tires.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:32 AM
LugZ

Good stuff Dave. I ask because I want to know before hand whether I will get free tires or not and if Nissan has devised a consistent method of measuring the tires. You take measurment from the inside...you might only be entitled to 50% off the new tires. You take measurement from outside shoulder...you may be entitled for 100% free tires. If no system is in place, easy for dealerships to manipulate how much customers has to pay. But I am sure that this issue has been addressed by Nissan to uphold their integrity.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:46 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tread depth is taken with a tread depth gauge. In general it is taken in multiple spots and the lowest number is your tires tread depth because the lowest number is all that matters. Even if 90% of the tire has a tread depth greater than 5/32s if the inside tread depth is less than 5/32s the tire is illegal to drive on and should not be serviced by any tire shop other than replacing it.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:55 AM
LugZ

Originally Posted by King Tut
Tread depth is taken with a tread depth gauge. In general it is taken in multiple spots and the lowest number is your tires tread depth because the lowest number is all that matters. Even if 90% of the tire has a tread depth greater than 5/32s if the inside tread depth is less than 5/32s the tire is illegal to drive on and should not be serviced by any tire shop other than replacing it.
do you work in a tire shop?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:59 AM
King Tut

Not currently but I worked at Wal Mart Tire and Lube for about a year a couple years back.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:30 AM
tree phidday

I have 3 years free tires from Weston Nissan :-D. Also a 6 yr warranty on everything on my baby plus 3 yrs free oil change, tune-up, tires balance/rotate. Meng life is sweet.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:32 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Are you mixing apples and oranges?

1. Replacing tires under warranty. The tires may be feathered, cupped or “growl.” They should be replaced for free whether they have 200 miles or 20,000 miles.

2. Reimbursement by NISSAN for tires which you purchased to replace bad front tires. New tires have ¼ inch of tread. You replace the tires when they have 1/8 inch of tread or half the useful life. You paid $400 for new front tires, so NISAN will reimburses you half the cost or $200.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:34 AM
TeCKNeiC

Originally Posted by tree phidday
I have 3 years free tires from Weston Nissan :-D. Also a 6 yr warranty on everything on my baby plus 3 yrs free oil change, tune-up, tires balance/rotate. Meng life is sweet.
How did you pull this off? Extended warranty from Nissan?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:54 AM
kempilot

when i bought my z in august , i purchased tire service that covers any thing to do with them i.e. uneven wear , nails , blowouts etc for an extra $15 per month .
i did this because i read all the threads on this site about feathering etc. and the nightmares people are having dealing with nissan about tires . $15 per month was worth it to me .......
Old 09-20-2005, 11:45 AM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by LugZ
do you work in a tire shop?
No but i did say in a holiday inn last night
Old 09-20-2005, 12:50 PM
King Tut

Originally Posted by plumpzz
No but i did say in a holiday inn last night
You must have because you didn't get any smarter like you could have. The commercials says:

No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn EXPRESS last night.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:54 PM
CAN0802

Since when is it illegal to drive on tires with less than 5/32nds worth of tread? It isn't illegal until you reach the wear bars, which will show as being even with the tread at 2/32nds. Should you drive on them with that little of tread left? Not if you live in an area where it rains a bit, but you are still within the letters of the law. Where'd 5/32nds come from?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:57 PM
King Tut

Originally Posted by CAN0802
Since when is it illegal to drive on tires with less than 5/32nds worth of tread? It isn't illegal until you reach the wear bars, which will show as being even with the tread at 2/32nds. Should you drive on them with that little of tread left? Not if you live in an area where it rains a bit, but you are still within the letters of the law. Where'd 5/32nds come from?
That was Wal-Mart policy anything under 5/32s we didn't work on period. I guess I shouldn't have said illegal as every state will vary. Liability is key and Wal-Mart is a worldwide corporation. Here is my state's law:

Tires: Your tires should have visible tread of at least 2/32 of an inch across the base with no worn spots showing the ply. Smooth tires on wet roads contribute to thousands of serious crashes.

http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool..../driver/en/5/1

I don't know what every state's law is but I wouldn't be surprised if some are more strict. I would never wait until 2/32s to replace tires. My life is worth more than tires.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Aced16

Originally Posted by tree phidday
THEOR CROOKS THERE!!!!!!!! took mine in just a week ago for my REDICULOUS feathering problem and they wanted to tell me that since i had intake and testpipes they wouldnt switch the tires! and it was blaintinly obvisous that i had a feathering problem, the insides were down to the inner wooven treads!!! JERK OFFS! wont even deal with them again!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:10 PM
CAN0802

That was Wal-Mart policy anything under 5/32s we didn't work on period. I guess I shouldn't have said illegal as every state will vary. Liability is key and Wal-Mart is a worldwide corporation. Here is my state's law:

Tires: Your tires should have visible tread of at least 2/32 of an inch across the base with no worn spots showing the ply. Smooth tires on wet roads contribute to thousands of serious crashes.

http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool..../driver/en/5/1

I don't know what every state's law is but I wouldn't be surprised if some are more strict. I would never wait until 2/32s to replace tires. My life is worth more than tires.
2/32nds is the federal rule on wear, hence the wear bars. Like you though, I wouldn't get anywhere near that far down on the tread, as my luck would have it that it actually rains that day here in San Diego.