2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

DYNO #s wont be dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 10:08 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sakred
well all i did was remove the air filter and put the epty case back on the air box. magically i gained 10 WHP and 6 ft/lbs.

Hammad
Well that's nice and all. But obviously not practical for "real world driving" sucking in all that dirt, dust, moisture, etc. For a second there, I was about to run out and try this mod.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:14 PM
qirex

how about a K&N drop0in filter element?
Old 12-21-2002, 01:16 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N isnt that special, its nice an all, but it wont get 10hp, it probably wont get 1hp. its mainly sold as a rechargable filter. its ability to suck in more air is highly overrated IMO.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:52 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ares
K&N isnt that special, its nice an all, but it wont get 10hp, it probably wont get 1hp. its mainly sold as a rechargable filter. its ability to suck in more air is highly overrated IMO.
if it loses power and torque i will not be surprised.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:25 PM
can350z

Default K&N panel experience.....

Have seen 3-5 hp gain on Maxima's at Stillen dyno days... Would be willing to bet that the Z see's at least half of the gain when running without filter.... 5-6 Hp... dyno time is required to prove either way.......

R
Old 12-21-2002, 05:20 PM
LA-Z

U to tha L, nice to see ya on the Z board ! (i'm a constant troll over at S2ki.com but I try and behave.) Hey, does your o.g. offer still stand?
Old 12-21-2002, 05:58 PM
ChurchAutoTest

Well I already got a drive in a Z LA...

But I'll still give you a break if you come in.

SC
Old 12-21-2002, 08:53 PM
harryb92

Your numbers are high because you ran it in 4th gear. 1:1 ratio for Z in 5th gear
Old 12-21-2002, 09:04 PM
ChurchAutoTest

harryb, there is no technical reason I am aware of for a non 1:1 ratio gear to return a higher reading than a 1:1 ratio gear. In fact, if anything, the 1:1 ratio should return the highest reading due to better transmission efficiencies - assuming similar load times.

However, running the Z in 5th gear is really too hard on the engine while on the dyno IMO because the load time is too long. Its a very tall gear and the cooling available in most dyno shops simply isn't good enough to sustain sufficient airflow on the engine - the VQ35 produces a _lot_ of heat.

You might want to read the thread I posted in Performance on dyno testing procedures for more detailed explanations on some of these things.

Shawn
Old 12-22-2002, 12:39 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ChurchAutoTest
harryb, there is no technical reason I am aware of for a non 1:1 ratio gear to return a higher reading than a 1:1 ratio gear. In fact, if anything, the 1:1 ratio should return the highest reading due to better transmission efficiencies - assuming similar load times.
The "technical" reason is torque multiplication.

If dynoing in different gears doesn't change hp output on a dyno, then why did my maxima dyno 10whp HIGHER in 3rd gear than 4th????
Old 12-22-2002, 08:00 AM
ChurchAutoTest

Torque multiplication has nothing to do with it on modern dynos. Dynojets calculate the gear ratio by using the wheel speed and engine rpm and divide measured wheel torque by the gear ratio. Hub dynos like the Dynapack require you to enter the gear ratio into the system so that it can be factored out (in the torque rating, hp measurement on that system doesn't care about the gear).

If torque multiplication played a role, your 3rd gear run would be putting down about 20% more wheel torque than your 4th gear run (IOW the ratio of the gears should tell you the ratio of the measured torque). I've made dynojet passes on some cars that have returned the exact same hp ratings in 3rd and 4th gear (on a 5-spd tranny).

I suggest checking out my dyno post in the Performance forum for things to consider when dynoing. Things like load time, engine temperature, etc. all play a role in how much power your engine puts out. What were the coolant temps on your 3rd gear and 4th gear runs?

Rgds,
Shawn
Old 12-23-2002, 10:17 AM
LBC TRD

Default shawn church?

name sounds familiar.. i had a 99 prelude turbo that charles madrid did out of atomic performance.. i swear that where ive heard your name..?? or pit crew? i forget.. anyways i heard you were a good driver..
Old 12-23-2002, 12:12 PM
ChurchAutoTest

Don't think I've ever met Charles and I don't know anyone at Pit Crew directly (although I'm familiar with both parties' work). However, the import world in SoCal, despite being the arguable center of the phenomena in the US, is still small enough that names get around pretty fast.

I've worked with a lot of folks from companies like Portflow, Alaniz, Erick's Racing, DPR (way back in the day), Jackson Racing, etc. Plus, I'm out at Willow Springs or Buttonwillow a number of times during the course of the year.

If you get a chance, stop by. I'm only in the shop by appt, so call in advance though. Even if I'm not there, I'll make time to come down and show you the equipment. Not much to look at besides the dyno :-)

Shawn
Old 12-23-2002, 02:59 PM
LBC TRD

Ok.. now i remember.. my freind used to have a gs-r and he would always talk about your jrsc that was making over 200 at wheel ( he said u were making the most power of anyone at that time w/ the jrsc ) he had your dyno as his wallpaper on his computer! haha.. didn't u have a d16z making 160+ at wheel too? yup.. the good old vtec days.. jk

but yeah, atomic did a rediculous custom turbo on the prelude w/ a kiwi manifold like 4 yrs ago before anyone heard of his shop and kiwi.. tanabe sponsored it for a little while.. it was in superstreet a couple times.. etc..and was running 13.7's on the street w/ a stock motor.. since then i got into dirtbiking a lot and bought a tundra and sold the prelude..

now i traded in the tundra and sold the bike for this Z.. which is hands down one of the sweetest cars ive been in.. and now i own one! but for sure you'll be hearing from me about the visit and possible dyno time (some HKS products)..
Old 12-23-2002, 03:29 PM
ChurchAutoTest

Yeah, it was an all-motor GS-R making 200 whp. Still have the CRX. Its a d16y8 with SC making 185 whp in a 2000 lbs package :-)

I look forward to meeting you in person. Happy Holidays!

Shawn
Old 12-23-2002, 04:03 PM
LBC TRD

Thumbs up

oh yeah the gsr was all motor.. my friend was going to make an all motor gsr too and your was what was his inspiration! lol.. but i remember we used to go on the sc gsr forum and talk crap to them about how guys were making more power than they were NA.. im 21 now so all this was when we were in high school yeah dude for sure i'll go down to your shop sometime after x-mas.. i told my freind w/ the gsr he wants to go too..

btw. what did the gsr have.. the b18c w/ the b16a head and head work? musta had some high compression..

Tai
Old 12-23-2002, 04:54 PM
ChurchAutoTest

Original head (with porting), 11.7:1 compression and some decent sized cams :-)

Shawn
Old 12-25-2002, 08:20 PM
Emax02

Originally posted by integrate
Yes, they do read higher, and according to Ultimate Lurker (who owns the dyno), numbers tend to read about 8-10 rwhp higher.

Looking at your #'s and SAE correctred numbers I would say that dyno reads about 25-30 WHP off.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:26 PM
sakred

what did you base the 25-30 whp number off of ??
Old 12-26-2002, 07:45 AM
Emax02

Originally posted by sakred
what did you base the 25-30 whp number off of ??

Off of everyone elses SAE corected dyno #'s.

Quick Reply: DYNO #s wont be dissapointed