Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VIN number

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:41 AM
jwolf7722

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN number

I was looking at my car yesterday and found there was a piece of tape over the VIN number on the dash. This is the one on the drivers side at the bottom left of the front windshield. So i was curious and took the piece of tape off and there is no VIN number there? Is this normal? All the other VIN numbers are correct and the history report is correct. Just thought maybe this was something i did not know about. Sorry if this is a dumb ? but i am learning as i go here.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Fletch69z

That does not sound normal. Sounds like someone must have taken it off, but who knows why.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:50 AM
jwolf7722

if so can you get one put back on?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The VIN should be visible through the front windshield. Could the Z have been damaged in a accident?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:05 PM
jwolf7722

Vehicle report came back clean. So did the used car inspection? Looks like the tap has been there a while i will look harder at it later. Event the service records are all there signed and stamped by nissan. Kinda weird!!!
Old 09-30-2005, 12:20 PM
abyss

Its stolen! :P
Old 09-30-2005, 12:26 PM
jwolf7722

I dont see how that is possible the title was at fifth third which is where my loan is at. So i got the title from fifth third. Both the seller and the buyer were present at the bank. The VIN on the door is correct but all the other ones i have not checked yet. This is really bugging me i will have to look harder into things.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:35 PM
dekidex1977

Default hehe

Originally Posted by jwolf7722
I dont see how that is possible the title was at fifth third which is where my loan is at. So i got the title from fifth third. Both the seller and the buyer were present at the bank. The VIN on the door is correct but all the other ones i have not checked yet. This is really bugging me i will have to look harder into things.

A Friend of mine used to not have plates on his car,and would cover the VIN number in the windshield,he would park for free a lot of times....
Old 09-30-2005, 09:02 PM
CAN0802

It is possible that the car is stolen and has the VIN plates from the other parts of the car popped into place. The one on the dash is the hardest one to access. If you haven't actually bought the car yet, back away from the deal. Otherwise, I'd try getting out of it. That VIN plate was there from the factory, and they don't just pop out without some work.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This sounds wierd....I'd look into this as this is not normal for it not to have no vin on the dash..
Old 10-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Doesn't sound right at all .... Get it checked out.

I wonder if it is found to be stolen if you insurance company covers such a discovery?

You might not want to know.

I hope you recieved a super deal on that car.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:02 AM
jwolf7722

I looked closer at the VIN this mourning. Seems from were the tape is at it has made it hard to see the number. The number is till there and is correct its just very hard to read from all the sticky stuff from the tape. I cleaned it up a little (enoff to actually be able to see it) Any ideas on how to really get in there and clean it up. I have all the original paperwork so it looks like this was just a close call.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:45 AM
cessna

Maby the previous owner did not want the repo man to be able to confirm that indeed that was the ride he needed to repo?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:15 AM
dekidex1977

Default i think im right!!! :)

Originally Posted by dekidex1977
A Friend of mine used to not have plates on his car,and would cover the VIN number in the windshield,he would park for free a lot of times....
Old 10-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can send me the vin number and I can tell you all the things that are on that vin number... if your car is a different color or doesnt have those parts... there is an issue...
Old 10-01-2005, 12:04 PM
DZ2005

Recently people have been takin VIN numbers off cars to replicate keys at dealerships, I read an article on this a while back. Think about it, all you have to do is get the VIN off someone's car and then get that info to the dealership and get a copy made, go to the car and open it and drive off. This taken into consideration, I would think the previous owner read something similar and put the tape there. Others have been known to cut a small piece of black foam and put it there to mask the VIN so others cannot read it to make a key copy. If it were me I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe at the most contact the previous owner and ask him about it, that's where my money would be though. Your previous owner was just paranoid. Also, I think it is now harder to make a key copy as you have to have proof of owership to go along with the VIN. All in all, no big deal. Now if you really did find that plate to be missing as you had originally stated, that's a time to worry, LOL.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:20 PM
baileyrx

people who race do this also, just in case there are "spies" at the track. Urban legend has it that they(manafacturer's/dealers) go around recording vin #'s, so they can nix any warranty work if you bring it in for service.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:19 PM
AZZGUY

Default vin number

Originally Posted by abyss
Its stolen! :P
Did it have a license plate from Mexico on it?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:23 PM
AZZGUY

Default racing

Originally Posted by baileyrx
people who race do this also, just in case there are "spies" at the track. Urban legend has it that they(manafacturer's/dealers) go around recording vin #'s, so they can nix any warranty work if you bring it in for service.
My understanding has been that their are electronics in your car that record some of those things. Modern day chips and electronics are great!
Old 10-01-2005, 03:28 PM
AZZGUY

Default vin numbers

Originally Posted by DZ2005
Recently people have been takin VIN numbers off cars to replicate keys at dealerships, I read an article on this a while back. Think about it, all you have to do is get the VIN off someone's car and then get that info to the dealership and get a copy made, go to the car and open it and drive off. This taken into consideration, I would think the previous owner read something similar and put the tape there. Others have been known to cut a small piece of black foam and put it there to mask the VIN so others cannot read it to make a key copy. If it were me I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe at the most contact the previous owner and ask him about it, that's where my money would be though. Your previous owner was just paranoid. Also, I think it is now harder to make a key copy as you have to have proof of owership to go along with the VIN. All in all, no big deal. Now if you really did find that plate to be missing as you had originally stated, that's a time to worry, LOL.
Actually it isnt that simple - if you dont have that original metal tag with the numbers on that match your key - they have to go through a series of events electronically with your car in order to find that number. Not simple!

Quick Reply: VIN number