Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF??? wrong way wiper rubs paint off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Jcolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF??? wrong way wiper rubs paint off!!!

I'll try to make this short and simple. I bought my car a few weeks ago. It's an 03' touring, brickyard. I noticed that the rear spoiler had a spot about two inches long where the paint was completely rubbed off. I figured that the previous owner had done something stupid and I wasn't too concerned about it since I planned on having the paint touched up on the front bumper and hood anyway. I told the body shop to touch up the spoiler at the same time.

I get the car out of the paint shop today...it looks great. They had just finished it when I picked it up. I drove the car to my office and on the way it starts to rain a bit. By mistake, I turn on the rear wiper instead of the front. As I do so, I noticed that it didn't clear the rear windshield, in fact, it was running backwards, down the rear hatch! I didn't think too much more about it, as I figured I'd take a look at it later. When I get to my office I notice that the new paint is completely gone from the spoiler! I put two and two together and realize that the frigging wiper, going the wrong way, is rubbing the paint off!!

Needless to say, Nissan will be repainting the spoiler and fixing the wiper.

Anyone else with a wrong way wiper issue?
Old 10-06-2005, 03:13 PM
bruce350z

hahahahhaha ahah, awww **** man thats funny.

yea i hope nissan takes care of this for you piece its really jacked up.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How in the hell did that happen?? Guess you never noticed this before the paint job??

This would make one helluva strange TSB, if other people got this problem...yeesh!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:51 PM
ZsAllright

Where does the wiper "rest" when off ?...vertically up the right (veiwed
from rear) side of the rear window, or horizontally at the bottom...

If it rests at the bottom then someone took it off/put it back on
in the wrong position?

JR
Old 10-06-2005, 04:54 PM
AdrenalineFX51

Omg. Could you possibly get pics of this? That is.... just.... wow.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:33 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Better check the wiper blades on the front windshield.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:12 PM
TonyToca

holy crap...I had the same thing happen to me with a new 05 enthusiast. Instead of the wiper being vertical like it should, it was horizontal when off. Only I didn't notice this until I turned the wiper on as well. I had about a 6-7 inch scratch along the back of the spoiler where all of the paint was scratched off. Dealership wanted me to drop my car off and have them pull it off and repaint it. I emailed every name I found at the dealership including the owner. Eventually the ordered me another factory painted spoiler and dropped my car off and it was ready in about two hours. Just raise hell with them until you get what you want.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:22 PM
alex12

whoa. that's pretty strange. +1 on the pics
Old 10-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Jcolman

The blade rests horizontally. I guess it's suppose to rest vertically?? This was the first time I used the wiper.

I hope to hell the dealership doesn't give me a bunch of crap about this, although I suppose they could claim that someone took it off and put it on wrong. Thanks Tony for posting your story...glad to know that I'm not the only one with this little issue.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Jcolman

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. I've got a digital camera at work.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Zmeflyby

never heard of this problem before...
Old 10-06-2005, 07:43 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmeflyby
never heard of this problem before...
It's not a problem. The wiper arm was installed wrong (It was probably installed this way by the original owner so that the wiper was out of their view, with the understanding that the wiper didn't "work" anymore). The wiper makes it's initial sweep from the parked position in a counter-clockwise direction. When mounted such that the blade faces vertically up the right side of the window, a roughly 90 degree sweep would take it to the bottom of the glass and then back. With it mounted across the bottom of the window, the counter-clockwise initial sweep takes it right down the paint and off the back of the car.

That's a bummer man. It's a shame they didn't catch it before you damaged the paint. Not much Nissan will do for you on that one I'm afraid (unless you have some documentation that says they worked on the rear wiper system).
Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by kcobean
That's a bummer man. It's a shame they didn't catch it before you damaged the paint. Not much Nissan will do for you on that one I'm afraid (unless you have some documentation that says they worked on the rear wiper system).
You're probably right. Looks like I'll probably have to pay for another paint job.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:42 PM
TonyToca

Mine was brand new off the lot when I bought it, same situation. It couldn't have been a previous owner that did it, although I didn't find out how it ended up that way...JColman, like I said, just write out a very well thought out, detailed email and send it to every email address you can find at that dealership. i.e...owner, manager, asst. manager, your sales guy...until you can't find anyone else to send it to. Once I did that, I got the response I wanted within half an hour. My sales guy called me and told me it wasn't a problem and that a new factory painted spoiler had already been ordered for me!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Acree

dude... screw teh wiper. just take it off.

Last edited by Acree; 01-10-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:48 AM
Racer Z
Banned

Originally Posted by Acree
dude... screw teh wiper. just take it off.

BAD idea...The wiper comes in handy when it rains.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:32 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyToca
Mine was brand new off the lot when I bought it, same situation. It couldn't have been a previous owner that did it, although I didn't find out how it ended up that way...JColman, like I said, just write out a very well thought out, detailed email and send it to every email address you can find at that dealership. i.e...owner, manager, asst. manager, your sales guy...until you can't find anyone else to send it to. Once I did that, I got the response I wanted within half an hour. My sales guy called me and told me it wasn't a problem and that a new factory painted spoiler had already been ordered for me!
Wow..that's messed up that you new car came like that. I think the diff. between you and JColman though is that he bought his used, and since it's an '03 it was probably sold "as-is" with the remainder of the factory warranty, if it was purchased at a dealer at all. I don't think he ever said if this was a private sale or not. A good dealership would fix it just to keep the customer happy, but you know dealers...
Old 10-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Jcolman

Originally Posted by kcobean
Wow..that's messed up that you new car came like that. I think the diff. between you and JColman though is that he bought his used, and since it's an '03 it was probably sold "as-is" with the remainder of the factory warranty, if it was purchased at a dealer at all. I don't think he ever said if this was a private sale or not. A good dealership would fix it just to keep the customer happy, but you know dealers...
It was a quasi-private sale. I bought the car thru a small dealer..actually more of a race shop/repair shop that sells cars for it's customers. Anyway, the dealer is 200 miles away so I'm not about to drive all that way for a minor paint repair.

I think I'll just take the car back to the paint shop and see if they'll give me a break and repaint it for a nomimal fee.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:11 AM
TonyToca

Good luck...hopefully they'll cut you a good deal.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Acree

Originally Posted by Racer Z
BAD idea...The wiper comes in handy when it rains.
Rain-X. i've had my car like for over 6 months and it's still one of the best things i've done. and i've always been able to see out of the rear.

Quick Reply: WTF??? wrong way wiper rubs paint off!!!