Old 12-26-2002, 04:17 AM
Eric1h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Preludes are also pretty quick cars...........but I'm not a big honda fan
Old 12-26-2002, 04:54 AM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by bhobson333
I've been taking it easy on my tranny, letting it loosen up a little. It's still a little crotchety going into the gears, though it's loosening up as it gets more miles. I'm hoping the syncros will smooth out to the point where I'm comfortable speed-shifting by the time we hit VIR. I have heard that after a few thousand miles it smooths out signifigantly and I don't want to push the syncros until they're ready.

I'm a little sensitive about syncros.
I couldn't agree more Brian. This is exactly "wear' I am at right now. I have noticed the shifting getting easier all over. I expect with time I will be able to speed shift like I can in my NX (which also has a short-shift kit and one of the finest boxes I've ever used - even the BMW boys are amazed) and gain that extra little sense of speed. I also drove the car hard yesterday and I think it is beginning to easy out. It is true, that if you work in the upper rev range, you are rewarded for it. I guess I was expecting more power lower down as the dyno sheets I've seen show the power dropping off suddenly at around 5500 (I think).

Also, in reference to Hondas, let me say this: On the racetrack Acura/Hondas are very hard to beat because of their wishbone suspension and relatively low weight. The Type-R was in a world of it's own until the Mazda MP3 came along. And the old CRX Si (in the right hands) will stomp my NX any day of the week even though it has 25HP less. Also, the GSRs have both a weight and a power advantage. The Honda engines may not sound sexy, but the lightness of their engines make them very suited to the FWD world.

Honda Accords do exactly what Maximas, Camrys, etc. do, which is to get people from A to B in comfort and safety. They are not intended to be performance cars even if they have a little spunk.

Fly

Last edited by Flyingscot; 12-26-2002 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:57 AM
Eric1h

Originally posted by Flyingscot
I was expecting more power lower down as the dyno sheets I've seen show the power dropping off suddenly at around 5500 (I think).

Fly

Nope, our HP peaks at 6000rpms the closer the revs stay to that the faster you go

Teh torque curve is the one that drops off at around 5000rpms, but at that point you dont need as much torque, because youre alread hauling azz

Last edited by Eric1h; 12-26-2002 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:07 AM
Flyingscot

okay, Eric. You got me there!

This is another reason I want to Dyno my car so I can see it for myself. BTW, I've contacted a shop in Richmond, VA. They are nice folks and I trust them. If you guys are interested, I could probably set up a Z dyno day so we can keep the costs down. I'm in the process of getting more details. Last time I spoke to the owner, he mentioned something like $80 for 3 pulls. I thought it was fairly reasonable.

Fly
Old 12-26-2002, 06:24 AM
buzzdsm

Default Another prospective

I think a lot of people have gotten used to Vtec and whatever Toyota has in their motors. I had a Civic Si and it seemed like it was very fast (it really wasnt') because of the Vtec motor.
Another thing that a lot of people don't realize is sound. Sound will make your car feel fast. After I put a cold air intake on the Si I swear it made the car seem like it had another 50HP when in reality it probably gave me 5.
I will say I drove a Z-28 the other day and wow! That thing pinned me in my seat but I sure wouldn't own one.

I don't know understand why people hae other car companies. Usually each company has some good and some bad models. For example I think the xterra is an overated piece of SUV crap but I like all the cars that Nissan makes.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:28 AM
bhobson333

Originally posted by Intrepid
This topic has been discussed over and over and over already.
The most recent thread is here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=14693

It's best to search for a topic of interest first, before starting a new thread.
Duuuhhh! You just scolded us for doing what this board is all about, and then referred us to this very thread! We're having fun; if you don't like it you can find another thread to read.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:56 AM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by Tony Alonso
I've read this thread and other similar ones on this topic with great interest. Did anyone notice in December's (I think) Car and Driver that had the comparison of the Beetle, Mini, and Vibe? They had some interesting graphs documenting the acceleration G force over the RPM range, which was the closest thing I have seen to quantifying "seat-of-the-pants" feel for acceleration. I think it would very enlightening to see a graph like this for the 350Z.

Is anyone aware of such measurements for the Z in the popular press?

Thanks!
Nope, but it would be useful stuff. I'd also like to see the Best Motoring video, which provides a direct track comparison to the other cars that we all know are very capable machines, e.g. S2000, Boxster and M3.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Flyingscot

Eric and Brian, I enjoyed meeting you at lunch - three Zs in one parking lot is quite a site. Although, 6 - 10 would be better!

Eric,

I think our cars are very close in performance (assuming you were actually trying hard enough). I changed a little early (around 6000rpm) in 2nd and I noticed you were walking away a little in 3rd. It would be interesting to see what 80mph+ would be like.

Cameron
Old 12-26-2002, 10:22 AM
Eric1h

YEAH that was fun! hehehe, I was trying pretty well, i let off of it at about 70(in a 55) and shut it down at about 80ish.

Nice finally meeting you Cameron, we'll have to do it again, seeing as how you work 3 miles from my house.

Brian, as always it was fun