Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

91oct versus 100oct with no tuning, big gains!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Blue350zCali

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
It was only a month apart and no, no reflash.
That's not what the dyno states.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Mr_Q

Originally Posted by Blue350zCali
That's not what the dyno states.
Sorry, you are right. I am getting this from him and I heard wrong. Seven months is correct.

Although to defend him, he has a dyno sheet from a YEAR ago that shows nearly the same baseline. As testament to how accurate and repeatable the dynopack is the shop uses.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:59 PM
DomZ

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
Funny. You show them the proof yet they do not believe. Now I know how Mulder felt having to deal with Scully.

As for going over in suggested octane rtaing...if your ECU can advance timing based on incoming fuel quality, it will. That is true. This will give you more power. It's why cars in certain parts of the country actually post stronger dyno numbers across the board, all models. Because of the different fuel mixtures.
I've been saying this for months, but noone listens to me...The Z's ECU if any can adjust timing based on fuel anti-detonant (octane)
Old 10-13-2005, 06:07 PM
DomZ

To reply to what speedracer said. I have tried out mixing 103 octane with 93 octane at the track and I can honestly tell you after a few run the ECU notices. I don't know what octane the ECU can adjust for, but I assure you its more than 93.

My last night at the track the weather getting cooler, but more humid as the night went on; My runs went 13.8, 13.7, 13.6, 13.5, 13.4, 13.5 in order. Now, the 60's were relatively the same (minus the 13.8, I think that was a 2.2, every other run was 2.0 or 1.9, mostly 1.9's). The weather was getting cooler but denser and more humid so I wasn't gaining much there. Now I know this is nowhere near scientific, but every time I go to the track I'm learning a little something about the ECU and how it performs. I wish I knew one of the Nissan engineers that deisgned the ECU so they could answer some questions for me.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:10 PM
hypeiv

we need mythbusters
Old 10-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Tattude

Originally Posted by DomZ
My last night at the track the weather getting cooler, but more humid as the night went on; My runs went 13.8, 13.7, 13.6, 13.5, 13.4, 13.5 in order. Now, the 60's were relatively the same (minus the 13.8, I think that was a 2.2, every other run was 2.0 or 1.9, mostly 1.9's). The weather was getting cooler but denser and more humid so I wasn't gaining much there. Now I know this is nowhere near scientific, but every time I go to the track I'm learning a little something about the ECU and how it performs. I wish I knew one of the Nissan engineers that deisgned the ECU so they could answer some questions for me.
All the numbers we DON'T need... Trap speeds are the ONLY indicator of HP gain...
Old 10-14-2005, 04:34 AM
Tattude

"It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings burn less easily, yet are popularly thought of as more powerful. Using a fuel with a higher octane lets an engine be run at a higher compression ratio without having problems with knock. Compression is directly related to power, so engines that require higher octane usually deliver more power. Some high-performance engines (OURS) are designed to operate with a compression ratio associated with high octane numbers, and thus demand high-octane gasoline. It should be noted that the power output of an engine also depends on the energy content of its fuel, which bears no simple relationship to the octane rating. Some people believe that adding a higher octane fuel to their engine will increase its performance or lessen its fuel consumption; this is false - engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for."

Originally Posted by hypeiv
we need mythbusters
No we don't...
Here is a good, helpful web-site for everyone.
http://www.answers.com/topic/petrol
Old 10-14-2005, 06:10 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by Tattude
Here is a good, helpful web-site for everyone.
http://www.answers.com/topic/petrol
Good one.

To add to whats been said earlier, Higher Octane rating as said in the link just prevents detonation or knocking and knocking is caused by hotspots in the cylinder that ignite air fuel mixture before the spark plug ignites it. Higher octane prevents this premature ignition, so that ignition starts only when its intended, i.e when spark plug sparks.

Contrary to popular belief higher octane fuel does NOT have more energy (calorific value), in fact a little less energy because of increase in percentage of additives to increase octane rating. So theoretically, it wont ever produce more power. If an engine is designed for 87 octane fuel, it wont gain ANY power because higher octane fuel. And an engine designed for 91 octane will ping or knock if run hard while running on 87 octane, this knocking is causing loss of power and damage to cylinder walls, pistons etc. So all the higher octane fuel is resisting to burn earlier than intended which results in getting the rated power output for that engine.

Danke
Old 10-14-2005, 07:36 AM
DomZ

Originally Posted by Tattude
All the numbers we DON'T need... Trap speeds are the ONLY indicator of HP gain...

Well, trap on the crappier runs was 100, 101 for the mid, and got to 102 by the end of the night....
Old 10-14-2005, 08:00 AM
arejohn

What do you mean buy timing was locked. IF timing did not advance with the 100oct, no way you got this power increase.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Tattude

Originally Posted by DomZ
Well, trap on the crappier runs was 100, 101 for the mid, and got to 102 by the end of the night....
1mph on trap can be accounted for by the cooler air.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Tattude

Originally Posted by arejohn
What do you mean by timing was locked. IF timing did not advance with the 100oct, no way you got this power increase.
Exactly... But, he has an E-manage which explains a little. We have NO idea what and how it was programmed
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 PM
leftturn

Default Just Maybe

Just to throw my 2 cents in. I was reading an article on the new SAE horsepower ratings and one of the things that was mentioned was the octance. The jist of it was that there was a loop hole in that the manufactures were allowed to "rate" the engine with a different oactane than what was listed as recommened. The new SAE rating calls for the test to be done with what is recommended. Given that Japanese engines tend to be higher compression, that might explain why they also tended to lose hp. Especially Honda with their high compression high revving engines. Anyway this might just be true.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Mr_Q

So this guys Miata gained a mystery 13hp over 7 months. That's what everyone is saying? Since apparently no one believes higher octane fuel can boost HP?

Even though he has used the same dyno pack since the beginning and has always gotten the exact same numbers from it over and over again over the last 2 years. One of the most reproducible dyno packs I have ever witnessed myself too.