Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Rear view problem??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 09:50 AM
bcsaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
OMG, this thread is retarded, I may have to unsubscribe.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...5_350Z_QRG.pdf
Look on page 9

Chris
Um...yea retarded it must be. Cuz I can't possibly adjust my rear view mirror to look at the whole car. Even with 2 pivot points, all you can see for a car that far away is the front windshield. And let me tell ya, its bad.
I'm gonna live with it since it's Z's design, but the thread is just to clarify the obvious. No need to call it retarded.
Attached Thumbnails Rear view problem??-rear-view.jpg  
Old 10-15-2005, 09:51 AM
bcsaga

And thanx all for being informative...
I guess I gotta try the BACK UP CAM !!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 10:17 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by bcsaga
I kinda have to rely on side mirrors to have a good rear view. (for looking at the car right behind me, not for cars in the other lane)
I'm 6'1" and I have to do the same. The only way I can use the center mirror to see the actual driver behind me is the recline my seat way back. But that throws off my feel of the pedals and is an improper way to drive.

I use the side mirrors to see behind me, not next to me. The center mirror is just for reading license plates behind me.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Z_Driver
Master

I like the rear view camara. Almost makes it worth upgrading the whole system to deal with all this stuff. Maybe, this is worth the $1600 if you get a kick a$$ stereo, DVD, gps and the rearview camara. Dang now I'm going to have to take money out of the bank. Lol !!

Well then, Christmas is around the corner. Honey ...........
Old 11-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Phamaggot

Any way to adjust the autodimming feature? I can cover the little lens while highway driving at nite and no change in dimming at all: it seems like a placebo! And -yes- I have it Power On!
(That garage door RF learning function it has is great, however!)
Old 11-28-2005, 04:33 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by D350Z10
Damnnn thats hot.. get a rear view camera!
O yeah!!! 350Mark has 1 sick Z too! I also like his unique headliner!
What a Z....inside & out! lol
Old 11-28-2005, 06:09 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phamaggot
Any way to adjust the autodimming feature? I can cover the little lens while highway driving at nite and no change in dimming at all: it seems like a placebo! And -yes- I have it Power On!
The auto dim does work as advertised as far as I have seen. It does not come on as much since I tinted the back window but sometimes when something real bright is back there it comes on.

If you cover the sensor, that would let less light in and the mirror would think there is nothing behind you and no dimming would occur. Maybe to test it you need to shine a flashlight at it, that's just a guess, I have never felt a need to test it.

Chris
Old 11-28-2005, 06:27 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by bcsaga
Um...yea retarded it must be. Cuz I can't possibly adjust my rear view mirror to look at the whole car. Even with 2 pivot points, all you can see for a car that far away is the front windshield. And let me tell ya, its bad.
I'm gonna live with it since it's Z's design, but the thread is just to clarify the obvious. No need to call it retarded.
I am calling the thread retarded for the following reasons.

Half the people that responded did not even read the question.

The initial poster (that would be you) seemed as though he was more interested in complaining about the problem than actually trying suggestions and simply gave up. This goes on quite a bit here and for those who are actually trying to help, it's a bit frustrating.

If you want to see the cars behind you. Set the mirror so that the headliner takes up half of it, like Jason said. Yes, that is right, half the mirror is aimed so you see the headliner. It does not matter because in the other half you see everything out the back window. For reference the reflection of the Z on the strut bar will probably be just below the center of the mirror. You may need to do some fine tuning but that should get you in the ballpark.

Chris
Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 AM
ZlleH

It could be broken, my auto dimming works perfectly, it even dims when it's too bright outside, LOL

Old 11-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Phamaggot

"...my auto dimming works perfectly, it even dims when it's too bright outside, LOL"

No other posts say they are familiar w my complaint. That leaves me and my 350z and my wife and her Audi A4.
Perhaps we 2 are out to lunch, or making the same stupid mistake that no one else makes.

OTOH, I'm 53 and she's 50 and maybe we're older than anyone else - and so the only ones who have firm recall of the way the older manual dimmer would *dramatically* stop down on glare!

I believe I'm going call for some help. IN really terrible dilemmas like this, I through an evening coffee chat attended by my therapist, my rabbi, my wife's pastor, my parole officer, and -of course- my mommy. After such a conference, I always find the answer: in future ignore problems that lead to these conferences with all the usual histrionics: shouting, vomiting and fainting.
(... it is truly awful cleaning up afterwards...and THat was just the spectacle my mommy provides.)
Old 11-29-2005, 08:40 AM
schwank

I have the same rearview problem.... Im 6.2 I almost didnt buy the car cause you cant see out the back of it... may sound silly but the first time i sat in a Z I didnt like it.

I find if i slouch about an inch down I can see pretty good... I asked a while back in a forum if there was a seat lowering kit out there for the z (they have em for vipers, and the M coupe surely for lots of others too)

my other thought was a dash mounted rearviw, but I too have the homelink/auto dim mirror and dont really want to lose it.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There's actually another post on here somewhere (I couldn't find it) in which somebody described a fix for this. Part of the problem is that you can only lower the height of the rearview mirror to a certain point. The fix was to grind away part of the metal ball on the end of the rod that joins the mirror to the window support. Grinding away that little section allows more adjustment of the mirror position and hence he was able to put it lower. A lower mirror allows you to adjust it to look "up" out the rear hatch as opposed to a high mirror than looks "down" out the rear window.

The only downside to this fix is that the rear-view mirror obstructs more of your view out the front right side of the windshield.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Manjot

just avoid looking back.lol
Old 11-29-2005, 02:31 PM
zedated

The inside rear view mirror slides downward onto a small metal plate (the mirror base). The mirror is secured to the mirror base with a small screw. The mirror base is *glued* to the windshield.

To remove the mirror, first remove the screw, then slide the mirror upward off the mirror base and disconnect the mirror wiring (if any).

Once the mirror is removed, it should be possible to detach the mirror base from the glass and re-attach it lower (or higher) on the windshield. I don't know the best way to remove the mirror base, but a professional auto glass installer will know.

The only problem might be the length of the wiring and plastic "finisher" that runs from the headliner to the mirror.

You should be able to find a spot on the windshield that provides the angle adjustment you need to get a good rear view in the mirror. Glue the mirror base in the new spot, let it dry as needed, then re-install the mirror.

NOTE: Be careful to keep a clear view of the front of your car. Lowering your rear view mirror may obstruct your forward view through the windshield!!!

Most auto parts stores sell the special glue for this purpose. Here is what Nissan recommends:

Product Description---------------------------Rear View Mirror Adhesive
Purpose--------------------------------------Used to permanently remount rear view mirrors to windows.
Nissan North America Part No. (USA)-----------999MP-AM000P
Nissan Canada Part No. (Canada)--------------99998-50505
Aftermarket Cross-reference Part Nos. ---------Permatex 81844

Last edited by zedated; 11-29-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:21 PM
arejohn

Mirror is not mached to the size of the rear window and blocks forward-right vision.We need a smaller and lower mirror for better visibility.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Phamaggot

I don't get it: the *placement* of the mirror... its location along the vertical axis... this is what's thought to be a bit wrong and *this* is what's felt to account for the mirror's failure to "auto-dim" the reflected image at nite when glarey headlights are a problem?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:00 AM
zedated

I don't get it: the *placement* of the mirror... its location along the vertical axis... this is what's thought to be a bit wrong and *this* is what's felt to account for the mirror's failure to "auto-dim" the reflected image at nite when glarey headlights are a problem?
This thread is confusing. I think people are talking about different problems.

Fwiw, there are two sensors on the rear view mirror, one on the front (windshield side) and one on the back (facing rearward). I think the mirror dims according to the difference in light conditions between the front and the rear. Therefore, you may get less dimming if there are bright lights ahead of you.