Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Rear view problem??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 04:50 PM
bcsaga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear view problem??

Call me crazy. But I gotta find out whether it is a police car or not when a car is in my rear view mirror. I feel safe when it's not. I got pulled over so many times for BS reasons, I just avoid COPS @ all costs.

The problem is, I couldn't see anything but the front bumper area of the car behind. That was when my car was stock. Now it is lowered and I can barely see the license plate. (yes that is an exaggeration, but you get the point right?)

I am a little over 6' tall and, no my torso is not LONG, nor is my head so huge.

Do you guys have similar problems?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:58 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you look in the manual about how to adjust the rear view? It's got a picture that explains it.

Chris
Old 10-14-2005, 05:46 PM
GhostFace

why not purchase a broadway mirror, GREATLY expands your rearview range...and only costs 16 dollars
Old 10-14-2005, 05:51 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Use the method described at this site...

http://www.motorists.com/issues/safe...t_mirrors.html

It takes a week or two to get used to it but once you do, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it. It's a must for a car with low rear visibility.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:58 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Use the method described at this site...
http://www.motorists.com/issues/safe...t_mirrors.html
It takes a week or two to get used to it but once you do, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it. It's a must for a car with low rear visibility.
That is not what he is talking about, he is talking about the angle of the mirror towards the ground. In the book that comes with the car there is a card with a "how to" for the mirror. The basic gist of it is that the top of the mirror view is the headliner.

Chris
Old 10-14-2005, 08:55 PM
bcsaga

Yep. I wasn't talking about the side mirrors. I kinda have to rely on side mirrors to have a good rear view. (for looking at the car right behind me, not for cars in the other lane) I searched, and I guess the only way to get a good view is to rely on the side mirrors
Old 10-14-2005, 08:58 PM
dan_csulb
Banned

There's no way to lower the inside mirror to get better view.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:58 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

OMG, this thread is retarded, I may have to unsubscribe.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...5_350Z_QRG.pdf
Look on page 9

Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 12:22 AM
bamyi

Originally Posted by bcsaga
Call me crazy. But I gotta find out whether it is a police car or not when a car is in my rear view mirror. I feel safe when it's not. I got pulled over so many times for BS reasons, I just avoid COPS @ all costs.

The problem is, I couldn't see anything but the front bumper area of the car behind. That was when my car was stock. Now it is lowered and I can barely see the license plate. (yes that is an exaggeration, but you get the point right?)

I am a little over 6' tall and, no my torso is not LONG, nor is my head so huge.

Do you guys have similar problems?
First off, if the cops pulled you over a 1 or 2 times that's BS, I understand but if its all the time, my friend, there's something wrong with you. Either that or "blaming the cop" game is an esaier excuse for you.

Either way, yeah, the rearview mirrow angle just sucks azz. Imagine how the Lamborghini driver feels or the Ford GTs. I'm 5'4 and I still can't see past maybe ten feet from the rear bumber. Its the roof angle and unless that's change, there's nothing we can do about it.

Last edited by bamyi; 10-15-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by dan_csulb
There's no way to lower the inside mirror to get better view.
I think I tried that and the seat back get in the way. However, some guys have turned the mirror upside down and like the improved view. You have to take out the allen screw to get enough angle to spin it around however.
Then the day/night switch is on the top.

I also tried a couple of larger aftermarket mirrors. They didn't seem to make it better.

I even bought a wink mirror. I thought that would be the ticket. Not way too low. You only get about 50% of the front window that way.

I think Nissan did the best they can with this roofline. I actually have been able to adjust it so the bottom of the mirror peer out the rear. This allows me to look back up the road a little more now than when I had the mirror actually centered. If you know what I mean.

One guy suggested a back up camara to go with a DVD player etc.. $1600 was a bit stiff for me. I am sure one of you guys out there has one.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:42 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
OMG, this thread is retarded, I may have to unsubscribe.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...5_350Z_QRG.pdf
Look on page 9

Chris

hehe.. that doesnt really help much at all....

basicly, how you have to set your rear view mirror is...

The top Half of the rear view mirror has to be of the headliner... the bottom half will then be the rear window and all the way out the back...

its weird how to set it, but if you do it this way you see all the way out the back, since the angle of the mirror will reflect so there is the more linier viewing area that chart described...
Old 10-15-2005, 04:04 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Yeah what Jason said. I couldn't put it into the best words. I should go to bed.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:18 AM
350Mark

Here you go... Rearview monitor with backup camera.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:34 AM
zedated

I'm not sure I understand the problem you're having, but I adjust my mirror so the view of the rear window looks like a letterbox movie. You'll see a little headliner at the top and a little rear storage area at the bottom. (I'm 6' 2").
Old 10-15-2005, 05:16 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I bot an Austrailian left side mirror. It is convex....takes some getting used to.

I think it works great. It increased my field of view at least 30%.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:24 AM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damnnn thats hot.. get a rear view camera!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:15 AM
dan_csulb
Banned

Originally Posted by bamyi
First off, if the cops pulled you over a 1 or 2 times that's BS, I understand but if its all the time, my friend, there's something wrong with you. Either that or "blaming the cop" game is an esaier excuse for you.

Either way, yeah, the rearview mirrow angle just sucks azz. Imagine how the Lamborghini driver feels or the Ford GTs. I'm 5'4 and I still can't see past maybe ten feet from the rear bumber. Its the roof angle and unless that's change, there's nothing we can do about it.
Most of us drivers are not as SHORT as you are. If we are as SHORT as you are, we would not have the problem with the mirror anyways. Sometimes being SHORTY 5'4 is such an advantage. In this case, 5'4 clown can see mirror better than average person. The reason is you are SHORT, you have better angle.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:40 AM
bcsaga

Originally Posted by bamyi

If I've been pulled over 7 times in a year for driving 26 and 27 in 25 I think I am qualified to say it is a BS.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:41 AM
bamyi

I didn't say I have a better angle, I have the same problem that you do. In fact, I'm finding some of the advice in here really helpfull.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:46 AM
potator

Originally Posted by dan_csulb
Most of us drivers are not as SHORT as you are. If we are as SHORT as you are, we would not have the problem with the mirror anyways. Sometimes being SHORTY 5'4 is such an advantage. In this case, 5'4 clown can see mirror better than average person. The reason is you are SHORT, you have better angle.
Wow... That was... Harsh.

Quick Reply: Rear view problem??