Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
View Poll Results: Do you like cloth seats or leather seats better?
Cloth
34.19%
Leather
65.81%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like the cloth seats or leather seats better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Aloha350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ws350
Leather, because that's the only way you can get the ventilated seats. Your back won't sweat with those, even on hot, humid days.
I'm waiting for the black on black vented seats so I can put them in my roadster. The all-leather seats are too hot driving with the top down.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a matter of personal taste...Mine being cloth...Comfortable in summer and winter.

Somebody mentioned spilling coffee and soda on cloth seats...A decent car upholstery cleaner and a vacuum and you're good to go.

I have visions of many 10+ year old Z's that I've seen with leather seats that are cracked on the seat back, seat bucket, and sides. I hope Nissan uses a better quality leather than in the older Z's.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Originally Posted by Aloha350z
I'm waiting for the black on black vented seats so I can put them in my roadster. The all-leather seats are too hot driving with the top down.
I didn't even think about that! The Leather seats on the Roadster with the top down....That has GOT to be brutal in the summer...80+ degrees and you wearing shorts = OUCH DAMMIT! LOL
Old 10-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Racer Z
It's a matter of personal taste...Mine being cloth...Comfortable in summer and winter.

Somebody mentioned spilling coffee and soda on cloth seats...A decent car upholstery cleaner and a vacuum and you're good to go.

I have visions of many 10+ year old Z's that I've seen with leather seats that are cracked on the seat back, seat bucket, and sides. I hope Nissan uses a better quality leather than in the older Z's.
Exactly, Nissan's leather isn't the greatest. That was kinda my point. There cloth wasn't much better on the first year of this car as well. They went to a better / thicker cloth mid year '03 I think. Let me add, clean and scotchguard your cloth seats yearly. The scotchguard in the can for $5 at Wallyworld is good stuff. We have used it for years in the snow to keep our jeans dry etc...

I like this aftermarket leather:

These seats are 8 years old. The armrest was just recently covered in leather since the plastic started to deform because of the heat.

For you that have leather. Just make sure you clean and use a conditioner at least twice a year. You'll be fine if you do that. You will get aging cracks but the leather won't tear or wear as much. It is less likey to scratch as well because the conditioner make the leather more supple. Oh, and check your passengers to make sure they don't have any keys, pagers, or phones on their belt when they get in your car. Those are the real terrors.

I do love my heated leather seats in the winter. Heated panels will dry out the leather however as well. Once again condition, condition, condition.

I found the conditioner wipes save you a lot of time. 5-10mins to do a whole car vs. 30-40min using a rag and bottle method. A lot less mess and goes on more consistantly.

Hopefully, my comments will help you keep your cloth and leather looking like new for years to come. I can't express how important it is to clean and protect your seats. This at least double the life of the material.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-17-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:51 AM
zman27

ot: Why couldn't they have added seat ventilation (in the coupes) that BOTH heats AND cools the seats? (I like it cold!!) And, 2nite it's in the forties here
Old 10-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by r26
i don't know what kind of leather you guys are talking about but i never slip in my leather seats. and what's this real enthusiast talk; why don't you remove your passenger seat, air conditioning, power windows? that will make you a true enthusiast.

aloha.....ditto r26......also remove the power steering pump in the Z if your a freakin true enthusiasst.........or trade the Z for the go-cart Lotus Elise and say fairwell to this forum.

my little brother loves leather....he says he's a true believer of reincarnation....
in his next life he would like to come back as the leather in little girls bicycle seat. hehe

Last edited by Ztalker; 10-18-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:40 AM
ZlleH

Tell your brother be careful what he wishes for because he could come back as the bicycle seat of Rosanne Barr

Originally Posted by Ztalker
aloha.....ditto r26......also remove the power steering pump in the Z if your a freakin true enthusiasst.........or trade the Z for the go-cart Lotus Elise and say fairwell to this forum.

my little brother loves leather....he says he's a true believer of reincarnation....
in his next life he would like to come back as the leather in a girls bicycle seat. hehe
Old 10-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Tell your brother be careful what he wishes for because he could come back as the bicycle seat of Rosanne Barr
i like people with a sense of humor.......how's weather like in Canada ehh?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:07 AM
kpiskin

Originally Posted by mecinoid
Cloth - They wear better. Don't Crack like the leather seats I have in my Pathfinder. The driver seat is worn and it looks like it. The others almost look new. . If your gonna get leather get black. It is easier to use shoe polish to touch up over time. Tan, you'll never match it. If I could have gotten power cloth seats in my Z that would have been nice. However, once the seat is adjusted I rarely change it anyways.

The other reason I like them is that you don't slip all over the seats as you do with leather. Cloth seats are much cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter. My Mother and Father in law was commenting about the leather seats and how he was sliding all over the place in the back of my leather trimmed sedan. I don't think it was my driving. I was going really slow as not to upset him. That sucked !!!

I like the feel of cloth over leather better most of the time. Leather in cars in harder generally to hold up the wear. Sofa leather that is softer most of the time doesn't hold up like the car leather does.

I actually like the leather in my Firebird. It is soft and tough. However, it was aftermarket. I bought the car and got it free since they didn't want to take it back off and wanted the car gone. $1700 of leather, seats and side panels. Woot !!! Generally, I do not like leather. If I could have purchased my Pathfinder without it I would have. Unfortunately, I wanted everything else in the Pathfinder except the leather.

When you do have to replace them cloth is a lot cheaper to repair. This is due to material cost and labor cost.

I like the way some of the cloth interiors look. The designs these days are getting much better. Leather design can be just as nice but, they are different.

Leather will crease over time but not crack unless you do nothing to treat them. I usually clean and condition once every 6 months, and I still can't tell new leather seats from my 2003 leather seats.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:26 AM
ZlleH

It's about 50 F here right now. Probably have another month left driving the car before I have to put it away. I'm thinking of taking the leather seats out and putting them in the house along with the battery.

Originally Posted by Ztalker
i like people with a sense of humor.......how's weather like in Canada ehh?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Rasengan

i really wanted the leather but i didn't want to pay for the Bose so i figured i'd buy the Enthusiast and get the leather aftermarket...anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by kpiskin
Leather will crease over time but not crack unless you do nothing to treat them. I usually clean and condition once every 6 months, and I still can't tell new leather seats from my 2003 leather seats.
OK let's call it crease then. I hate it when there are 20-30 creases in the driver seat leather and 1-2 in the passenger seat leather after 5 years.
I condition the seats every six months at least.

See pictures below:

Drivers Side 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Leather with 39K miles on the vehicle:

Passenger Side 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Leather with 39K miles on the vehicle:

Rear Seats 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Leather with 39K miles on the vehicle:

I admit the seats look pretty good after 5 years of heavy use. Short trips or trail runs. I use the Z during the week. Wife uses Pathfinder to go to work 5 miles away.

I just would to prefer to not have the creases or at least the same amount creases throughout the vehicle.

Just something those considering leather need to know.

BTW as noted above the Pontiac Firebird has no creases in this area. Either does our '99 Sable with leather. Unfortunately, in order to get the upgrades they make you buy leather. Glad my 350Z has Cloth.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:35 PM
ZlleH

I don't know about the other leather guys, but i'd take leather seats with creases over cloth any day.

OK let's call it crease then. I hate it when there are 20-30 creases in the driver seat leather and 1-2 in the passenger seat leather after 5 years.
I condition the seats every six months at least.

I admit the seats look pretty good after 5 years of heavy use. Short trips or trail runs. I use the Z during the week. Wife uses Pathfinder to go to work 5 miles away.

I just would to prefer to not have the creases or at least the same amount creases throughout the vehicle.

Just something those considering leather need to know.

BTW as noted above the Pontiac Firebird has no creases in this area. Either does our '99 Sable with leather. Unfortunately, in order to get the upgrades they make you buy leather. Glad my 350Z has Cloth.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:43 PM
potator

Originally Posted by zedated
The seats in the Z cradle you very well; no slippage whatsoever with leather. Leather is very durable and looks great much longer than cloth will. Yes, eventually, it can crack and look ugly if you don't take care of it. I sold my 10-year old Jeep GC with leather and the seats still looked fantastic.
I agreed with everything up until the bold part.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I like the look of leather better. I just don't like the wear qualities or freezing your butt off in the snow when I am 4 wheeling or go snow sking. But, that is why I have seat warmers and let the Pathy warm up for 5 mins before I jump in. My rear passenger are always asking me to turn on their seat warmers. Lol !!! Not in a Pathfinder baby.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:45 PM
zedated

Originally Posted by potator
I agreed with everything up until the bold part.
Out of curiosity, why do you think leather is not more durable, etc? Cloth wears, tears and stains. Leather may wrinkle, but that's normal and even desirable (it adds character to the leather). Also, leather is very forgiving of spills where cloth is not so forgiving. Maybe I've just had better luck with leather than cloth!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by zedated
Out of curiosity, why do you think leather is not more durable, etc? Cloth wears, tears and stains. Leather may wrinkle, but that's normal and even desirable (it adds character to the leather). Also, leather is very forgiving of spills where cloth is not so forgiving. Maybe I've just had better luck with leather than cloth!
You've been lucky. I have had people mess up the leather in all the leather trimmed cars I have owned. Everyone of them. Never have a messed up cloth seat. Cell phone, pens, leathermans, belts, you name it. The cloth is a lot more forgiving. I am getting tired of getting them fixed because of others. It's not cheap either. I feel like a noob always asking my buds to take off their cell phone and check their pockets for pens etc. I always have to take off my cell before I get in the car as well. I have forgotten to take my cell phone or badge off once or twice and scratched the leather. That always makes my day. My wife drags her purse/backpack across the leather and it mars it up as well. I generally can hide those after 15-20mins of scrubing. Some I have not been able to fix. Those are where the strap drags across an edge.

Tan leather does stain. We do not allow anything but water in our cars.

Oh well, it's just a truck.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-18-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Chicken

Originally Posted by gabez33
I thought I like cloth better, till I had leather...now I will never go back to cloth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1, no need to say more.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:41 PM
05-Z

Leather all the way. I swapped out my cloth for red leather, one of the best mods for the $$$.

Now my interior smells and looks great, sort of like adding hardwood floors to a home; most people appreciate it
Old 10-18-2005, 09:52 PM
zedated

You've been lucky. I have had people mess up the leather in all the leather trimmed cars I have owned. Everyone of them. Never have a messed up cloth seat. Cell phone, pens, leathermans, belts, you name it. The cloth is a lot more forgiving. I am getting tired of getting them fixed because of others. It's not cheap either. I feel like a noob always asking my buds to take off their cell phone and check their pockets for pens etc. I always have to take off my cell before I get in the car as well. I have forgotten to take my cell phone or badge off once or twice and scratched the leather. That always makes my day. My wife drags her purse/backpack across the leather and it mars it up as well. I generally can hide those after 15-20mins of scrubing. Some I have not been able to fix. Those are where the strap drags across an edge.

Tan leather does stain. We do not allow anything but water in our cars.

Oh well, it's just a truck.
Fwiw, leather can be repaired such that you can't tell it was damaged. A dealer service department scratched one of my seats once, so they had it smoothed and recolored to match. If you didn't know it was there, you wouldn't have noticed.

Quick Reply: Do you like the cloth seats or leather seats better?