Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

has anyone heard of tread wear like this

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 05:31 PM
swilso12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone heard of tread wear like this

hi I own a 04 350 touring with michelin pilot sport ps2s ---245/40/18s on the front ---11,000 miles on the tires. I was driving on a dusty road the other day and pulled into my drive way --turned the front wheels all the way to the right and was checking the tire tread for wear. since the surface of the tires had a lot of dust on them, the tread was very easy to see --- I saw the normal three tread groves that are in the middle of the tire and then noticed on the inside edge of both tires a black line---about 1 1/4 " from the inside edge of both tires-- what appeard to be another 1/8 ' wide shallow tread that ran around the entire tire ---on both front tires. I felt it thinking that something had been rubbing the tire but it was not a cut, and after checking both wheel wells, there is nothing there to rub the tires. When you run your finger over the "black line" you can feel that it is slightly deeper than the rest of the tire surface on either side of it -. Any idea what it is? a belt problem? this is not a tread ---if you have these tires you know that the last tread on the inside of the tire is about 2" from the inside edge of the tire. this "line" is in between the inside edge of the tire and the first tread on the inside of the tire. Also.. ther is no uneven wear -cupping, etc.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This post needs some photos.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:49 PM
swilso12

Default I know a photo would be nice

Too dark right now --will try to get one tomorrow morning. but just imagine an extra very shallow tread in the tire, 1/8 " wide and that is what is there --I almost wonder if michelin built a tread wear indicator on the inside edge of the of tire that runs all the way around the tire. I have also heard of steel belt problems on other tires showing up in some odd ways. In any event, will try to get pictures tomorrow
Old 10-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Jcolman

I've got the same tires but mine are brand new therefore no mystery tread.

However I admit that after reading your post I ran out into the garage just to take a look at my tires.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:57 PM
swilso12

Default her is a link to the photo of the tire

Ok folks I manged to get a picture of the tire follow then link and select the tire picture. expand the photo if you want to see a close up. any ideas? I am having so many problems with the front tires I am almost ready to trade it in on a g35.

http://swilso12.zoto.com/
Old 10-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Jcolman

Your tires look like they're not wearing evenly at all. The outside edges look like they're cupped but it's hard to tell in the photo. I can see the line or groove you're concerned about. I have no clue what it is. Just an fyi, my new Michelin pilot sports have two grooves down the center, not three like yours.

Have you had your car in for an alignment check from Nissan? I assume that you've heard about the warranty extension from Nissan to addess the tire wear problem. The warranty for front tire issues has been extended to the end of October for all 350Z's. Nissan may reimburse you for your front tires or replace them with Bridgstone Potenzas. At any rate, I'd have the dealer take a look at them.

ps. I love your wheels!
Old 10-23-2005, 06:20 PM
CAN0802

You are rubbing something under there. No other way to explain a darker band on a dirty tire.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:01 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very strange tire wear especially the outer edge of the tire. And the thin black line near the inner edge? You’ve got to be cutting the tire with a suspension component. A component which is above the tire, and turns with the tire.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:18 PM
lemonjihwan

same sh*t happen to my car. but my tire had an inner edge wear.
have you gotten accident before?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:51 AM
swilso12

HI folks thanks for the responses. The outer edge of the tire hardly even touches the road surface because of the camber in the fromt end.. alignement has breen checked twice and it is exactly right on to the latest specs Nissan provided for the front end. As far as rubbing on a suspension component remember that the other tire has exactly the same thing on it in the same place. several people have examined the wheels and the surrounding wheel well and cannont find any place the tires are rubbing. They cannot find anything close that might be hit as the suspension compresses over a bump or in a hard turn. I am getting ready to change these wheels out for the winder and will be going back to stock wheels and tire sizes. So, I am out of ideas.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:19 AM
yeperra

To much toe-in will ware the outside tread blocks like shown. I don't have a clue about the line on the inside.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:20 PM
ohw

Did you autoX or corner extremely aggressively? The outer edge wear almost looks like you did some very tight and hard turns, but scrubbed off a lot of speed by the front tire. Chances are that you should have heard your front tire "sing" or even "squeal". That is very difficult to do on the street with this car and this tire, unless you were doing some insane speed, or extreme maneuvers, or both. Line in the inner edge is a mystery. Can you post a more close-up picture of the tire?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:55 AM
arejohn

When did you notice this line. Could it have been done on the balance machine?