Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

the new Lexus IS compared to 350???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 AM
skip2daZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
faster in a straight line? who cares? they paid more for a car that doesn't look as good, and is basically a 300hp sedan. Won't handle like a Z on the track, doesn't have the aftermarket the Z has, etc.

They'll hype it up for a few months and then it'll fade.

And like someone said......do you really ever see young people in Lexus' anymore? They (toyota) has outpriced their target market...thats why they had to build the Scion brand, lol.

well im in college, and jus about every college i have been to has had more than a handful of people driving that car, in fact it might be one of the most seen cars in santa monica college alone

But when i was looking for a car, i personally liked the interior of the IS300, loved the cluster... But the body shape is just way to boring, not to mention i hated those dumb rear lights
Old 10-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Electricchild

^^^

That may have been the IS250 test... which is probably more comparable to the Acura TSX.

Yeah we are comparing the wrong cars here. A sedan vs a coupe--- 2 seater!

Well, the IS is really really nice looking... the interior is just awesome and the paddle shifters look really nice. I have to say that Lexus's new cars are looking great... the GS class and the IS class have a nice looking shape to them... and I can only hope they make the SC, ES, and LS classes look better, because I absolutely hate the look of those cars. As for the SUVs that Lexus makes, I really think the RX is very ugly... the GX and the LX are monsters, but seem really expensive for what they offer. But I guess I will never know that since I have never even driven a Lexus other than my aunt's 1994 LS and a 2003 IS300 test drive.

And just to let you guys know... the IS350 MSRP is like 36-37k !!! That's the same MSRP on my dads 330Ci... and with taxes and options and all that jazz youll end up paying over 40k for that thing. Compare that to perhaps a Track 350 or higher... ---> WHICH YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE AT HAGGLING SOMETIMES <--- and it's still a lot more expensive! I suppose the 35th anniv. edition starts at around the same price so those are on more comparable levels to the IS350.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:29 PM
LIdrew

Slower, More expensive, 4 doors and no manual tranny available. I'll stick with My Z. They did the same this with the first IS300s... No manual.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:37 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand how one could campare the IS300 with the Z. They're in different leagues. The IS350 is a luxury sports sedan, not a sports car. Performane-wise, it is very nice. It's sad to admit Toyota has a V6 motor that is superior than our VQs. Just look at the comparo between the Maxima and the Avalon. The V6 in the Avalon has slightly less displacement, is a bit more fuel efficient, and packs more power. I think it's quieter too!
Old 10-29-2005, 03:36 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people are interested in this comparison because its a new vehicle that appeals to many current and possible Z and G owners. even though it isn't catagorically the same type of vehicle its hard not to admire the attractive features of this new lexus. personally I waited till I got some inside info on this new lexus and could make an educated decision before I decided on buying my Z (this was back in feb. when I got some general specs on the new IS line from my friend who is a product planner for a toyota US distributor). why would I cross shop this vehicle?

its pretty darn fast: I don't want to quote any mainstream mags, but most of them have put both cars within a fews tenths of each other in the quarter mile with Car and Driver clocking the new IS at 13.7. of course all that is subjective and we won't really know what the new IS is capable of till some folks start bringing them down to the track. what I can say from my personal experience with the car is that it truly does haul a$$. if you mash the pedal it gives a slight delay, but after that is truly puts your into the seat. the shifts at full throttle are high rpm and abrupt, but strong. I didn't get a chance to play with the paddle shifters yet, but I've been told they don't work as well as a BMW or Porsche models. regardless, this thing really moves and I wouldn't be surprised to see low 13 sec passes in this thing with the right driver (not to mention if they end up putting a 6spd in this thing later).

its suttle but sexy: when I first saw the thing on paper I thought it looked like a mazda 6 front with a Scion Tc rear. I still think the rear deck is a bit short and bulbbish, but the overall lines of the car come together very nicely. the stance is low and tight, the wheel wells are pretty large and I could easily see 19's fitting in there. the interior is waaaay nicer than the previous generation...the seats are plush with decent side bolstering and the consoles and dash exude luxury. the only low point is the size of the back seats area which def won't fit any adults (short of an asian midget) if someone is in the front seats.

misc: when I went to check out the engine bay I found it pretty much covered in plastic paneling (which isn't untypical of lux cars but you really can't see a thing in there without removing a panel). I guess its all for sound deadening and it does work since its pretty much silent inside the car unless your at full throttle. but I can only imagine the headache it would be to constantly have to remove and reattach all those pieces and I'd better most of the car is like this. this would not be a full car to work on yourself. although you might get a considerable weight savings if you were to remove all the sound deadening materials.

potential:I doubt this car will generate the type of tuner or custom car market that the Z has. its doesn't have a preexisting alter-ego like the IS300 had the Altezza and it doesn't have the 2jz engine which was already well established. it also has an extremely invasive ECU and vehicle stability system (which you can't turn off). but what it does have is a new and highly advanced engine that was moderately detuned from the factory. I wouldn't be surprized if you could squeeze a lot more power out this engine with a custom ECU (if anyone ever develops one).

price: prices for a fully loaded IS350 OTD here in Hawaii are around $42k, so its def not cheap. but if they ever come out with a 6spd coupe version I might seriously consider it. but for now I'm more than happy to stick with my Z and hopefully give some them new IS owners a run for their $42k

sorry to go overboard here on the analysis, but I was really checking out this car for a while so I figure I'd unload my opinion on you guys. all I can say is just don't underestimate this car if you run into them.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Vamos_Rafael

yeah imo... 42000 thats more than 330ci sport, thats almost M3 level and with that money i'd get a nice preowned ///M and thats will be a totally different story ending ^^
The Z is no where near 42000 and its the best value for the performance that it delivers!
Its funny that Lexus is trying to do something as lame as this one... IMO not alot of ppl who are ABLE to spend 42000 is going to buy a lexus... BMW 330CI sport is probably what they will most likely get... or maybe Audi A4 3.0 sport or even G35...
The over all package is GOOD but if it costed 5-7 grand less then it would be a hot hot seller and would be truly competetive with G35, BMW, AUDI who are already very well established names in the luxury sport compact sedan/coupe market!
Old 10-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Miko

I dont get how it has similar TQ and just a few more horsies than the 300hp Z's and runs the same? I mean it weights like a few hundred pounds more @ 3400lbs or soemthing liek that
Old 10-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Vamos_Rafael

0-60 is 5.3 thats whats impressive to me!
Old 10-29-2005, 05:16 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OKay then lets do the mag times since it always seems to come to that. From the October 2005 Car & Driver for the IS350:

0-60: 5.1 secs
1/4 mile: 13.7 @104
Top Speed: 155 governed
Skidpad: .85g
Old 10-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Vamos_Rafael

handling not as good as Z
0-60 faster
1/4 mile faster
top speed same
price alot higher
sexiness none (4 door ghey)
Old 10-29-2005, 05:46 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah we just gotta get used to cars like that being faster and like the new Chevy Trailblazer being faster to 60 as well. At least our cars look good!
Old 10-29-2005, 06:46 PM
angelzhope720

Originally Posted by JRinTXrog
A little off topic, but if you are talking about Lexus's two seater. The wood grain interior has got to be the ugliest thing I have ever saw. When I was looking to buy a car I thought the Lexus was a good looking car, then I looked inside. I then said no way

Sorry but Lexus has no 2 seater. The SC430 is also a 4 seater, my mom used to have one.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:16 PM
arejohn

I drove one last week. It's nice, real nice. Don't see it as comp for Z but comp for g35.
Interesting brochure includes notes on last page: brake pads may last less than 20k miles, disks less than 50k, 17" tires less than 20k, 18" less than 15k.
I never priced a g35, but the base IS350 is $36k and can exceed $40K.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:34 PM
jlvvega

i think the G35 is better comparition to the is350 and still Nissan-Infiniti are very good cars
Old 10-29-2005, 09:46 PM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by JPsZ
Wrong there sir, you should check out how big a wheel you can fit on the lexus SC's aka soarers.... the same if not bigger then our cars...
+1

Here is a pic

Old 10-29-2005, 10:16 PM
ssk0771

Here are the performance results from 3 popular car magazines.

Car and Drive:
0-60mph 5.1sec 0-100mph 12.8sec (that pretty fast)
1/4 mile: 13.7sec@104mph (look at the trap speed)

Road & Track:
0-60mph 6.0sec 0-100mph 14.9sec
1/4 mile: 14.5@98.6mph
Temperature was 93 degree & elevation was 150ft high
(don't forget that the test was done on very hot day)

Motor Trend:
0-60mph 5.5sec 0-100mph 14.0sec
1/4 mile: 14sec@99.8mph.

From the looks of it, I think Z may have a chance but in general, I think IS350 can take 350Z on a straight run.

Don't forget that IS350 is 6sp auto so if person does not know how to drive a 6MT on a Z, Z will be a toast.

Just my thought.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:24 PM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by jlvvega
i think the G35 is better comparition to the is350 and still Nissan-Infiniti are very good cars
+1

Let go to G35 and TL forum and see what they have to say
Old 10-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Apollyon_KiN

Smile

Personally I don't see the IS350 RWD Manual even in the same ballpark as the 350Z or the G35. They are different cars completely. They may have some similar qualities, with respect to performance, but overall different ends of the spectrum. I was looking at the IS350 for about 3 weeks now, but the things that appeal to me are thing I wouldnt want to see on a sports car. When I built the Z I wanted then the IS350 the prices were within $1000 of each other.

When I get in my sports car, things that I want are: "cockpit style" driver area, sweet sounding exhaust, stiff and responsive handling, and a comfortable seat.

What doesn't matter so much is: Woodgrain dash components with chrome accents, 14-way adjustable seats, seat ventilation, autodimming side mirrors, extra storage area, back seats, dual zone climate control, etc...

I think if any car was is any way competition for the Z it would be more something like a Lotus Elise for a few more dollars. As of right now though, there isn't much available in that price range that offers what the Z does. When I think "sports car," one thing that doesn't come to mind is -- four doors. The new Lexus may be competition in regards to performance, but nothing else.

If I could have any car in the world for under $50k I would still get a Z.

Quick Reply: the new Lexus IS compared to 350???