Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hi!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Shaide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi!!!

Hey there, I don't own a 350z because when I bought my current car it wasn't within my budget. My current car is nothing fast, but it responds well to bolt-ons so it's gotten pretty fun. I drive an 03 GT Tiburon (AEM CAI, SSA Headers, Borla Exhaust, Nology Hotwires w/ Iridium IX plugs, Stage 3 Ported upper/lower intake manifold with a phenolic spacer for low end torque, and a Zone 5 Fuel tuner.

It's a decent car but I like 350z's a LOT better. 2 seater, sleeker design, -NISSAN-... etc.

I've recently gotten a much better job and I'll be coming into more money in the near future. I was considering getting myself a Z like I always wanted, I just have a few questions that I didn't find answers to when I tried to use the search feature. Here goes:

What kind of power can the engine handle stock? I know my engine will safely handle around 350-400 Whp before it goes boom... and there's a company in Florida that builds an improved short block for my car that'll handle up to approximately 800 Whp. Are there any upgrades like that for Z or can the stock engine/tranny itself handle upwards of 600/650 Whp (assuming you lower the compression on the pistons and take all other neccessary precautions, etc)?

Secondly, is there anyone that makes a shift kit for the Z's AT? That'd be the determining factor between whether I looked into a manual or an automatic.

Ummm that's pretty much it for now, thanks for your time and once again... hi!

-Shaide
Old 10-29-2005, 10:59 AM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forums. have you test driven a Z yet?

Originally Posted by Shaide
Secondly, is there anyone that makes a shift kit for the Z's AT? That'd be the determining factor between whether I looked into a manual or an automatic.
-Shaide
by shift kit do you mean a kit to allow an AT to function in manual mode? if so
the stock AT has both a standard and manual mode allowing gear shifts using
the stick or maybe i missed your question.

also you might want to look into insurance rates before you purchase. there
have been numerous posts here in the forums for younger drivers who were
quoted insane premimums. i would shop around for the best rate while you
are shopping for your Z. that way you can budget your payment + insurance
against your new income.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:01 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome

The stock block so far looks to be good to near 500 rwhp, most people stay around 450 or so to be safe. It may hold more but no one has tried yet. The internals can be built to hold near 2000hp, see Performance Motorsports 6 second Z. The Z takes very badly to bolt on mods. Don't expect much from them. Real power in the Z comes from forced induction. Minimum entry fee to the world of forced induction on a Z is near $7K with the install, supercharger or single turbo. Real power, twin turbo, has an entry fee of near $12K and goes up. If you are on some all-motor mission, you will be disappointed. The best all-motor guys are getting close to 12.9X sec 1/4 miles. There is a tranny upgrade, not a shift kit available. You can do a valvebody upgrade to improve shifts but no easy in-line type deal or controller. I believe it is near $2500 for the upgraded tranny. People will ridicule you for having an auto. I recommend the manual. Let us know if you need anything else. Oh, BTW, NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWB.

PS
If you don't believe me about the ridiculing then look at the other thread on this board called "Who else hates the badgering?" You see, that is what he gets for driving an auto. Have a nice day.

Last edited by TK2005; 10-29-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Shaide

Let me clarify shift kit... no, I was not referring to the Shiftronic/Tiptronic/Whatever each manufacturer calls it. They have those in the Tiburons also.

Stuff like this: http://www.monstermarketplace.com/go...?q=shift%20kit

TK answered it though, apparently there isn't one available yet. Thanks TK.

Yeah I'd keep the car stock for a while until I could save up enough for a TT system. Besides I'm going to have to get used to handling in different situations in a RWD car. My stupid thing is FWD. Man oh man the things I want to do...

Edit: Missed the question, yes I've test driven a Z and it was a blast. There's no "oh ****" handle so I had the salesman gripping the dashboard in his seat with white knuckles while we were taking it for a spin
Old 10-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

I wouldn't get an auto, just my input.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Shaide

Yes neither would I now that I know there's no shift kit available. I'll be going for performance, and the only reason to ever get an auto is if some form of a shift kit is available, otherwise the manual is of course more efficient. Someone should look into producing a shift kit for the Z's... a 5spd AT would be a monster with those nice hard shifts.