Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone get rid of their roadster for a coupe.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Apollyon_KiN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wanted to try out a convertible, it looks so cool with the top down. Where I live it never really gets too cold, and I would never have to worry about someone with a "bigger dick" rolling up in a 360 spyder (because the most expensive car I've ever seen here is a new Lotus Elise or a few years older Porsche.)

I seriously contemplated it, but the way it makes the car look with the top up is not to my liking. Top down is beautiful, and even in the coupe I ride with the windows down all the time. I wish Nissan would have made a Targa top version =\

S2000... to me it looks like a 2 seater, convertible, Prelude ><
Old 11-03-2005, 01:27 PM
scottohio03

I like the look of both. If they would have made a t top I woudl probably get that but since not I think I will get a roadster. I ahve always wanted a convertible but never bought one.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jvanquish
lol...
i wouldnt mind driving a ZR
seriously but for 35000 I would seriously consider an s2000
+1000.....I got my coupe for $25K...Why does the damn convertible Z have to be $10K+ more??
Old 11-03-2005, 01:47 PM
GreenEnvy

I had a bad experience with the only convertible I bought about 10 years ago, not gonna buy one again. I'm sure they are much better now, but it leaked horribly. My whole back seat floor was filled with water, the passenger side seat was always soaked. Only hardtops for me.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out to buy a roadster and test drove the Porsche Boxster, the Carrerra, and a couple of other notable models. I came to find out in my short experence with them that I didn't want one.

The weather is SoCal couldn't be better for top down driving but then there's always that skin cancer thing that's going around. The dust and smoke filled air in bumper-to-bumper traffic isn't that nice to breath even with a coupe sealed tight and the re-circulation on. When the traffic isn't bad you still have all the dust and grime from the freeway. When parked the poor thing fills up with dirt and dust just sitting around with the top down.

Then there's OPM - other people's music where the idiot next to you at the light has his rap turned up so loud that your rearview mirror vibrates so much as to not be of use.

Then there's the theft thing going around where a pocket knife to the roof gets you inside only to set the ultra-sound alarm off ... but you still have to buy another top.

Only the Boxster and Carrera 911 had insulation in the roofs which blocked the heat from baking straight though even a raised rag top.

Finally the looks of the soft tops when raised wasn't pleasing and even with the tops down the lines are "different". On the Z the tail looks way too fat/heavy in my eyes/opinion so I went with the coupe.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
The weather is SoCal couldn't be better for top down driving but then there's always that skin cancer thing that's going around. The dust and smoke filled air in bumper-to-bumper traffic isn't that nice to breath even with a coupe sealed tight and the re-circulation on. When the traffic isn't bad you still have all the dust and grime from the freeway. When parked the poor thing fills up with dirt and dust just sitting around with the top down.
Skin cancer? Use sunscreen and wear a hat. Don't drive during peak sun exposure hours. Dust and smoke? Most ppl drive with the windows down in the summer anyways...well, at least that's what I did in my TT coupe.

BTW I am jealous of coupe owners when my top is up.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:35 PM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by jamnew
I was all set to buy the coupe when my wife convinced me to buy the roadster. Dam#, she was right again. I love the sound. I have been leaving work early everyday just so i can enjoy these last warm days before the ZR goes top up and under cover. A targa roof or a t-top for the coupe would really work.
We've got the same car. I did add some AAM goodies, though.

I'm a fan of the ZR. But the noise of going through the harbor or ft. mchenry tunnels can be annoying.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
aonic

I was originally getting a yellow GT ZR, but the the ZR has almost no trunk space, and the interior space is also pretty small.

and then i got a 350 Touring
Old 11-03-2005, 04:55 PM
delaine

I like the small trunk space in my ZR. Everything is compact and contained nicely. I'd probably sprawl out with too much stuff in a coupe. For me, if it doesn't fit in the trunk, then it doesn't need to come along. It's the same with the cozy interior. Room for me, my work bag, a few books and sometimes a trusted companion. Everything's close and convenient--no wasted space. And I find that I prefer not having empty space behind my seat.

As for the noise, the town I live in is not too huge and traffic isn't too obnoxious, so top-down-driving hasn't been a problem at all.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
ssk0771

It looks like No One went from Roadster to Coupe yet.

I for one use to own a coupe and now I have Roadster.

Trust me, Roadster is much more fun and as for wind noise with top up. There is not much difference.

I had both Coupe & Roadster at the same time for about a month until Nissan took the coupe back.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Scotty1230

I'm killing myself deciding which to get. I love the open air with just the windows down and sunroof open so a top down would be amazing. But with top up, I don't know if I can get used to the shortened top where on the coupe it reaches back a little further. But on the coupe you get almost no air flowing in. This is driving me crazy
Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 PM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by Scotty1230
I'm killing myself deciding which to get. I love the open air with just the windows down and sunroof open so a top down would be amazing. But with top up, I don't know if I can get used to the shortened top where on the coupe it reaches back a little further. But on the coupe you get almost no air flowing in. This is driving me crazy
I'll decide for you.

Just get Roadster

You will not regret it. Ask anyone on this forum who has Roadster. I am sure most, if not all will tell you the same thing.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Had a rag top Fix It Again Tommy (fiat spider), and it was lots of fun but the lines on the coupe are just so much sweeter than the Roadster. I also owned an RX7 and my Z is in another universe when compared.
So far: Nismo Rear Spoiler
Nismo Cat Back Exhaust
DC Sports Headers
AEM Cold Air Intake
Jet Performance Chip Upgrade
Next up: Nismo Side Aero Package
Wheels
Old 11-03-2005, 11:14 PM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
Had a rag top Fix It Again Tommy (fiat spider), and it was lots of fun but the lines on the coupe are just so much sweeter than the Roadster. I also owned an RX7 and my Z is in another universe when compared.
So far: Nismo Rear Spoiler
Nismo Cat Back Exhaust
DC Sports Headers
AEM Cold Air Intake
Jet Performance Chip Upgrade
Next up: Nismo Side Aero Package
Wheels

Welcome!!! its your first post.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:31 PM
itburns

Hated the ZR at first, but it has grown on me. I would get a SB because it's the only color that looks good with the top up as well as down, IMO. I would never by a vert for a daily driver, though. Plus, I'm more of a performance enthusiast with the Z and therefore require the lighter, more rigid coupe.

If I could have a convertible, it would be a ZR or the Shelby GT500 convertible out in 2007.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:02 AM
FairladyZX

Z was originally designed to be a roadster. I wouldn't buy it if not for the ZR. $40k is a bargain compare with the outdated M3 vert which was on top of my wish list too .
Old 11-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Z_Driver
Master

I've always liked fastbacks. I have owned a few convertables for summer driving in California. I was always worried someone would cut the top however. It is hard to keep the tops clean too. The ones I had did not leak, but, I am lucky I was told. I owned a T-Top 300ZX, Mustang, and Firebird. I liked them all. None of those leaked. It wasn't as convenient as a vert to put down however. But, I always felt secure when leaving the car locked up. Also, if my date wanted to keep her hair pretty I would just leave their side on. That was the really nice thing about T-tops. Mostly, I hated that I had to replace a couple of convertable tops. They don't last as long as a hardtops or T-tops of course. I had one motor go out as well. Trunk space is always smaller, noise is a factor and the wife hates her hair all knotted up and I liked the top down if I could.

So, I am pretty sure I won't be getting any more convertables in my lifetime. I'll just rent one for that special Hwy 1 drive every once in a while. So, I would say I have gone from a convertable to a coupe.

They are fun with the top down. It's just all the other times that they are not convenient. If you are going to use the car as a beach car... I would suggest a 300ZX with T-tops. Your vert is just going to get messed up from salt, sun and sand anyways.

Now, if you plan on leasing the car for less than 3-4 years, buy a vert and get your fix.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Scotty1230

Originally Posted by ssk0771
I'll decide for you.

Just get Roadster

You will not regret it. Ask anyone on this forum who has Roadster. I am sure most, if not all will tell you the same thing.
I keep debating with myself saying the Roadster isn't the perfect car for me but I know when Spring rolls around I'll be rolling off the lot with one.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:44 PM
angelzhope720

I would never purchase a convertible unless it's a hard top. SLK230 was my first car, feels like a coupe with the pleasure of a roadster.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:20 PM
sexi z

I origianlly wanted a coupe, BUT my dad has big say in what car i get, and he said if ur going for a 2-seater...go for the roadster...smart man, I have no regrets.

Quick Reply: Anyone get rid of their roadster for a coupe.....