Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

does my 350 have a jerking problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 12:13 PM
kbiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcolman
I have to dissagree with this. This is probably the reason his car jerks. I would suggest just the opposite, especially when starting out in first gear. Feather the clutch a little more to smooth out your start. The Z doesn't have the smoothest clutch I've ever driven but it's not bad. The high release point doesn't help either. You might want to try the clutch adjustment procedure that is posted in the engine section. It really helped make my clutch smoother.

Yeah in first gear don't drop it You won't learn anything by doing that... In first gear you do have to give it more gas and actually make the clutch slip a little more than many other manuals... shudder in first gear isn't difficult to produce. My buddy had a Z about the time I got mine and within about 6 months he developed permanent shudder in every gear and then Clutch Rattle... turned out he had burned his clutch. Not that bad but there was clutch material on the plate and uneven wear on the clutch... it cost a bundle and he sold his Z. Now he's got a Boxster which is much easier to shift

It's been my experience that most people who consider themselves competent in driving stick actually have some bad habits that really reveal themselves when driving a Z. I know there's a ton of Z drivers that have no clue what rev matching is (the blip). You don’t have to master the heel toe shift but I think Rev Matching is mandatory.

I'll have to check out that clutch adjustment. Sounds interesting... cool tip!
Old 11-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should take you car to a small incline hill, stop your car and learn how to keep your car not moving using clutch and gas there without using a brake.