Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A Poker Run...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Z_Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A Poker Run...

What is it? Anyone have fun doing this? I would sincerely appreciate any input on this matter. I have heard of them in the past, but have no idea what is involved?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
PapaTango

They are a lot of fun if they are planned right. Pay your entrance fee and you'll get a form to record your poker hand. You drive from place to place (car dealers, eateries, bars, speed shops, garages, etc, etc) and draw a card at each location to make a poker hand. Usually the route is planned to make it a pleasure drive (rural roads, scenic routes, etc). It's not a race to see who finishes first. They usually just give you a time to be back by. Prizes/cash awards are usually given for best poker hand, worst hand, whatever. Sometimes you can buy extra cards at the various locations involved to better your odds. Sometimes they include a 50/50 drawing as an extra incentive. You buy a raffle ticket and if you win you get 50% of the cash. Usually the proceeds from the event goes to a charity or something similar.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Z_Nut

Default RE; A poker run

Thank you for the quick response PapaTango! What would a normal entrance fee run? We are looking a setting up a Z Club here, and I am looking for activities that could be of interest. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 PM
PapaTango

Originally Posted by Z_Nut
Thank you for the quick response PapaTango! What would a normal entrance fee run? We are looking a setting up a Z Club here, and I am looking for activities that could be of interest. Thanks again.
$5-$10 for an entrance fee. Maybe a couple of bucks for each extra card. Make sure you give the locations that agree to support the poker run all the free advertisement you can (printed flyers, radio spots, newpaper ads). Sometimes the businesses involved will donate something for the cause that you can use for a raffle prize(s). Raffle tickets are usually a dollar a piece, or 6 for $5. 50/50 tickets usuallly go for the same.

Your best bet for info. Find your local Harley Davidson dealer and talk to their HD Owners Group leader. I guarantee you they've already run 2 or 3 of these this summer.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:05 PM
HighwaySpeed

Talking It's sex...

You have sex with her,

Here Husband/BF comes home and...

You run!!!!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:55 PM
damnyankee38

Poker Runs are a lot of fun. I used to run them all the time. A variance to the card at each spot, is to get a "ticket" at each spot and turn them in at the end to draw your hand. And then sell extra cards for a couple of bucks. Normally, I would plan a motorcycle ride of about 100 - 125 miles, something that can be done in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. They are not about "timed races". I have gotten local, and National celebrities involved to help increase the registrations. After the run, we always did a lunch. Pick a good charity to donate ALL of the proceeds to. Get local radio involved. And of course, make sure that you give credit to the sponsors of your run. You can do 50/50 raffles, silent auctions, door prizes,and a host of other "after run" events.
Good luck if you decide to put one on!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:10 AM
Blu Hvn

I organized one for my club for a convention we hosted last year. I had 7 club members posted around town with a deck of cards. As each participant arrived at the checkpoint they drew a card. At the finish line they discarded 2 cards and played their best 5.
A word of caution, to avoid cheating such as card swapping, etc., you might have each "dealer" mark the card with his name, or the particpant's license plate. or registration number, so that the 5 cards played are the 5 cards they were dealt. We gave away prizes.
Another fund raising event is quite simple. My club at each meeting or event has a 50/50 drawing. They sell tickets for $1.00 then draw a winner. The winner gets half the pot and the club gets the other half.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:09 AM
taurran

The 350z Club of Florida hosts a poker every year here in Tampa. "The Run" usually is in September but it might be taking place earlier since ZFest is moving to later in the year.

At this year's event we had 47 350z's show up, had a great time, and gave away over $5000 in prizes. All proceeds went to the Shriner's hospital (a few thousand $). We had Z's from all over the state, and from a few different Z clubs (you don't have to be a member to participate).

Here's some pics from this years Run:
http://www.350zclubofflorida.com/php....php?cat_id=20

If you live in Florida or the surrounding states, keep an eye out on our site and also on these forums for the announcement for The Run 2006. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:21 AM
DeeZ

wow sounds like fun!