Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Storing Z for the winter...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 01:40 PM
RayRey21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing Z for the winter...

Here in the northeast our Z cars are not a all year around vehicle....now i've heard alot of talk when storing the Z that you should put the car on jack stands to prevent flat spots on the tires.....sounds resonable enough but the car would not be in a a state that it was designed for.....and for a long period of time....just wondering what your thoughts are on this....or recommendations..

thanks!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:46 PM
julian

having your suspension in full rebound is worse than having flat spots on your tires. once the tires get warmed up in the spring the flat spots should go away anyway. and in any case, tires are easier to replace than suspension bushings. just change your oil, put in fuel stablizer, charge your battery every couple of weeks and leave it at that.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Lemans350

There are many many opinions on this, i have been storing cars for a long time and i always fill up the tires to max pressure and leave it. Most of the time you're car is going to remain stored for 6 months or so, which should not be long enough to cause flat spots.

The other thing i have done is have a spare set of old tires/wheels to leave it sit on if you are really worried about your expensive set.

Other storing tips from my personal experiance (others may agree or disagree):

- Have a tarp down on the ground if you are storing on a concrete floor, this will keep condensation off the underside and prevent rust.
- Use a car cover or sheets to keep the dust off
- Plug the exhaust with steel wool, still allows it to breathe, but keeps any critters out of there
- Fill the tank of the max, add some fuel stabilizer for safety, although short term storage doesnt absolutly require this.
- Leave the car alone, dont start it
- Keep a good automatic battery charger on it (I use the Battery Tender brand)

Last edited by Lemans350; 01-04-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the post above. Just 3 other things to add:

-Place pink insulation styrofoam underneath the tires, this will prevent flat tires
-Place some Arm and hammer in the car to absorb any unwanted smell
-Take out all the floormats, these floormats could be filled with moisture and mildue(spelling) and cause bad smell in the cabin.