Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Porsche Persons Response To Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 01:24 AM
silverstone_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant wait until i blow out a boxster with my Z, better yet, go head to head with an S type..
Old 07-02-2002, 03:19 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsches are awesome cars. They are expensive for their own reasons. One, they are not a typical assembly line car (mostly hand built). Two, there are major engineering feats and accomplishments in their designs and power train. I know for a fact I can't afford one. If I had just enough money I would still probably not have one. Even the cost of ownership is enough to bankrupt some people. I am a car enthusiast and therefore have a place in my heart for all cars. The idea is to get the best bang for my buck car within my price range. If my bank account had more 0's at the end I might have a Porsche . . . but it would be parked next to my Z in a multi-car garage! Porsche went through a period of a few years where they were in severe financial trouble in the US. (Sound familiar?). The Boxster rescued them in much the same way Nissan is banking on the Z. We are getting a great car, but no matter how bad we beat any Porsche, the driver wont be jealous of us, but he just might go buy another car to tool around in (Z).
Old 07-02-2002, 03:21 AM
Zoro

Default Nissan "Datsun"

Talk about resale value I seen a 280z in mint condition something like 1200 - 1400 miles. The price is $30.000, now I would call that damn good resale value.
I've also seen some in not so good condition "parts cars" for close to $3000 not bad for a car that cost about that to start.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:27 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Default Re: To each his own

Originally posted by bluefish
Can not wait till August....
To each his own, indeed. I can't wait to get the keys to my new Z. Let the Porsche owners sip chardonnay and nosh on brie while they extole the virtues of their overpriced cars. I'm totally at peace with my purchase, and could really care less what anyone thinks of how I've chosen to spend my $31,176.

IMHO, (and this goes for Boxster owners only) anyone who buys a car where you can't even SEE the engine needs to have their head examined anyhow.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:33 AM
ncrecordkeeper

I could really care less about resale value on a new car. They all depreciate, minus a few exceptions if you hang on for a long time. I go with my gut. I knew ever since I saw the Z that it had just the combination of unique styling and performance for me. That is the reason I chose the Z over the G35 coupe. It's lines are more unique in my opinion. I have no need for a back seat or hardly any cargo room. Just want a sweet ride I feel good tossing dollars at. Sure, it would be nicer to have the only Z this side of the Mississippi, but I'll be just as happy with it if there's two more on the block.

Personally the fact that the Porshes haven't changed in 15 years much at all detract from the car because, from a design point of view, I think they missed from the get-go. Of course, that's just my opinion. The fact that they sell proves me to be in somewhat of a minority.

I go solely with my gut. I mean, otherwise would I ever have chosen an orange car no one has even driven yet? I think not.

I currently have a Lexus; and, yes, the dealer experience is tops bar none. But how often do we really have to deal with them anyway? I can do without my pepperment and free car wash. Besides a salesman is a salesman, and a high-end salesman is just a little slicker. And I guarantee you they don't cut you any deals on parts and labor.

To each his own.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:51 AM
Dave

3 Words:

"Poor man's porsche" -- Just weren't rich enough for the 911

That however doesn't mean boxsters aren't great cars, they just aren't on par with the 911's exclusivity and performance.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:54 AM
ZZtopp

I had a chance to compare the Z with the Porsche 911 at the LA Auto show last January. With its short wheelbase and long overhangs, the beetle-like Porsche seemed VERY dated. The Z was all muscle with a new, distinct design (and to those who thinks it looks like a TT, you haven't seen it in person; it does not).

Regardless of price, the Z is simply a more modern, better design. It may not impress them as much as a Porsche when you pull up to the valet at Spago's, but if that kind of thing is important to you, you wouldn't be reading this.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:27 AM
PistolPete

Actually the boxsters hold their value better than just about anything else in their price range. Try to find a used boxster for less than 35k.

I aggree they cost too much for what they are, especially if you add any options. You can get a miata, mustang, or mr2 with a glass window for less than 25k, but the boxsters and Z3s have plastic. What a crock!

A 15 year old porsche does look pretty rough, but it is still recognizable as a sports car. A 15 year old 300Z on the other hand........

The new 350Z has similar overall shape to the current 911s, whether that makes them timeless or not we will have to see.

The last gen Z has good lines, but it is not uncommon to see them rough around the edges, or riced out.

All I know is my Z won't get here soon enough.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:34 AM
raceboy
Banned

Value?? A 911 will depreciate more in 5 years than most of the people here paid for their new Z's!! LOL Dealers are better. Not the one near me. I walked in wearing my normal shorts and T shirt. Didn't drive up in a Benz, but a brand new I35 at the time. I couldn't even get helped!! I finally asked for help to check out the headroom on the new 911's (they redesigned the seat rails for the 02's to get more headroom). The guy just opened the door and left!! My wife was pissed. The sales manager sees us start to leave so he does come over. I tell him I felt prejudged and at first he does try to help, but then he starts the hard *** close!! First build raport, then try to close!! I walked out of their disgusted. Now Porsche is starting to hurt, you can lease a freakin' Boxter for $499 a month and an "S" for $599! Plus 80% of Boxsters now are Tiptronic. A poseur car if their ever was one. My damn Toyota Spyder has a glass window and Porsche still has plastic. Hmmmm.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:09 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

The Boxster handles nice but rides like a go-cart (or MR2 spyder) and sounds like a blender.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:26 AM
Z&Jet-Pilot

4) The Dealer Experience

To me the difference between visiting a Nissan dealer and a
Porsche dealer is similar to the difference between shopping at
Wal-Mart and shopping at Nieman Marcus.
Have to give him this one! Nissan are you listening????

My wife works at the Porsche dealer, she almost died when we went to the local Nissan dealer!!!
Old 07-03-2002, 06:32 AM
1STZEVER

Z & Jet, haven't heard from you in a while. Were you successful in getting out of your pre-order. Did you sell your spot on ebay (didn't you have it listed there?)
Old 07-04-2002, 04:48 AM
m477

Boxter owners are very insecure and defensive for 2 reasons:

1) 911/Ferrari owners consider the Boxter to be a cheap car and not a "real" Porsche

2) REAL car enthusiasts see the Boxter as an overpriced poseur car that isn't in the same league as Z06, etc.

So the Boxter is basically a car for yuppies that don't know anything about cars to impress their yuppie friends that don't know anything about cars. I'm not saying it's a POS, I mean it's definitely a nice car, but it's also definitely a ripoff.