Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

nissan reliability problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:51 PM
jdm_Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

p.s. my brother's corola eventually lost all of it's red paint and turned pink. haha
Old 02-19-2006, 12:21 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cwerdna
I do pay attention to Consumer Reports long term reliability ratings and find them to be reasonably accurate.

My 02 Nissan Maxima was a little disappointing (had 3 recalls, had to take it in for a few rattle repairs, and had a TSB done to that involved replacing the MAF sensor and reflashing the ECU [reduced pinging I was having). My Z has been more/less ok except for a few rattles and both power window motors and regulators failing. My mom's 96 Toyota Camry has had virtually no probs and my dad's 02 Toyota RAV4 has been problem free AFAIK.

My opinion is that Toyota and Honda along w/their luxury nameplates have better reliability than Nissan.

Most people are familiar with Consumer Reports, but misunderstand where the data comes from. It comes from 350Z owners such as you and I who are Consumer Reports members, and complete an annual survey. Those familiar with statistics know that this type of voluntary survey (rather than random)does not meet the strict criteria of statistics. Still, a survey of this type is much more valuable than anecdotal evidence such as I own a 2003 with 100,000 miles and it has never been in the shop once.

We can see from above the improvement that has been made with the transmission. It will be interesting to see how the 2005 transmission rates after owners accumulate more miles. Interesting that the suspension (front tire featuring) plaques 2004 with the same frequency as 2003. And the damn windows that do not go up and down(power equipment): 2005 has seen improvement.

Note that overall the 350Z rates average, while owner satisfaction is very good. Again 350Z owners will not experience exactly what is reflected on the chart. Few will be one or two standard deviations from the mean (a statistician may comment on how small those numbers are).
Old 02-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
What reliability problems? my 03 Brick runs as strong & is as tight as the day I bought it.
I agree, what problems. No issues here with my '04.5.

Old 02-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Davidv- What's interesting about those CR surveys is that last year my 04 scored pretty much like the '05 is scoring now. Reds all the one except for one which was half red I believe.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:28 AM
stein

I've owned many cars new and used and it ia all luck of the draw.
These were all the new cars I've bought and issues I've had.

- 77 Ford Pinto, 200,00 miles on it and no problems

- 88 Toyota 4x4 v6, no probems other than the power steering pump whcih blew @ -35F

- 96 hyundia Elantra wagon, Car had no issues other than being cheaply built but for a 10k car it was pretty good for the 5 years owned.

- 96 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, major electrical issues! Replaced Alt 3x, Battery 2x, Water pump 1x, both window switches went out, rotors warped 2x, very hard on brake pads, rear tails collected water and foged up, Head gasket finally went and now sits until I can repair that.

- 2000 Toyota celica GT-S, Oil lubrication issues, coolant issues, creeks, belt tensioner squeel, Car was in the shop more than in my driveway!

- 2004 Matrix XR, no problems so far, very solid. Had a minor issue with the center console opening thing but that was easily fixed.

- 2006 350z touring, nothing so far (crosses fingers)
Old 02-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by MovingViolation
Don't forget that the majority of Z owners will never belong to a Z forum. Those with the problems ***** loudest. I actually don't think that the early Z's had that many problems. Its more likely that the majority of early Z owners who had acces to the internet were a bunch of pissy little *****es.

i bet a six pack that you nailed this one.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 AM
davidf

Originally Posted by 350ztoronto
ya, im happy with the car even tho it requires a bit of attention i get alot of it in return =)
My thoughts exactly!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:23 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mecinoid
Davidv- What's interesting about those CR surveys is that last year my 04 scored pretty much like the '05 is scoring now. Reds all the one except for one which was half red I believe.
That is interesting. Is it possible that as 350Z owners put more miles on the car, they are more likely to report problems? Remember that the survey asks Have you had any problems in the last year? Just a hunch.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not had a problem with any of the problems listed in the original post or any problem plagued by any other owner on the board in over 14k miles. The only problem I have is that I want to drive the thing all the time and it costs me for the gas! Lol.

I had a 2001 Prelude and I drove that sucker hard, as it was tracked and auto-x'd. But I always took care of her in terms of oil changes, maintenance, etc. In 82k miles in four years, all I ever had to replace was a faulty auto-tensioner for the timing belt which was replaced buy a TSB and my extended warranty. I paid for the water pump to be replaced and thats it. Also, I think my ECU or my VSS went out around 40k but that was covered under warranty. And I snapped my power-steering belt at a drag strip one night, but that was at 60k and I replaced it myself. So to fix the car, it cost me approximately $600 over four years. I'm hoping to see that kind of longevity, maybe more, from the Z.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by davidv
That is interesting. Is it possible that as 350Z owners put more miles on the car, they are more likely to report problems? Remember that the survey asks Have you had any problems in the last year? Just a hunch.
Yeah, that was kinda my thoughts unfortunately. I guess I feel good that mine has been trouble free.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:37 PM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwerdna
My opinion is that Toyota and Honda along w/their luxury nameplates have better reliability than Nissan.
I actually don't like Nissan and do like Toyota's and Honda's. I only like Nissan's sports car line up...Z, Skyline, 240SX's. I bought the Z because I love it, not because its a Nissan. Flame suit on!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by engiNERD350Z
I actually don't like Nissan and do like Toyota's and Honda's. I only like Nissan's sports car line up...Z, Skyline, 240SX's. I bought the Z because I love it, not because its a Nissan. Flame suit on!
I'll give you a little help:

OK guys,

Get him !!!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Incoming .....

Old 02-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^What are you gonna do, spy on him being flamed?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:48 PM
dbpoet

No problems with my 03 DB Touring. 30K and running like a top.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Armitage
^What are you gonna do, spy on him being flamed?
Yeah, I just want to get a good view out of the way. LOL !!!

I had this one on standby:

Last edited by Z_Driver; 02-19-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:22 PM
engiNERD350Z

Originally Posted by mecinoid
Yeah, I just want to get a good view out of the way. LOL !!!

I had this one on standby:

Haha, guess I had it coming. Although, if I may add, this is my second Z and will probably go for a 3rd. The first was a 1991 300ZX 5-speed. So I am a true Z enthusiast...just too bad Toyota didn't make it J/K!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:48 PM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by engiNERD350Z
I actually don't like Nissan and do like Toyota's and Honda's.
I have to somewhat agree to that, I think Toyota and Honda put more engineering effort than Nissan. Nothing against Nissans, I actually like their offerings, but wished as a company they did more research and development.

Reliability of Infiniti brand is better than Acura for what I have seen in the past. So they are not bad at all in reliability.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by spcemn_spiff
I have to somewhat agree to that, I think Toyota and Honda put more engineering effort than Nissan. Nothing against Nissans, I actually like their offerings, but wished as a company they did more research and development.

Reliability of Infiniti brand is better than Acura for what I have seen in the past. So they are not bad at all in reliability.
You also have to realize that Nissan was on the brink of failure not too many years ago... They have litterally reinvented their entire product line in less than a decade! Many credit the Z and the Titan for saving the company.

I think its really impressive how well the market responded to the Titan, even though it has some problems of its own.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:35 PM
engiNERD350Z

Originally Posted by jakesford
You also have to realize that Nissan was on the brink of failure not too many years ago... They have litterally reinvented their entire product line in less than a decade! Many credit the Z and the Titan for saving the company.

I think its really impressive how well the market responded to the Titan, even though it has some problems of its own.
Yes, I would have to agree with that. Nissan came back very well from almost going bankrupt. Their designs, although some may be hate it or love it (i.e. Nissan Armada), are more modern or futuristic of the big 3 Japanese manufacturers. Toyota has great quality yet lacks the excitment (IMO), especially with the younger crowd 20's-mid 30's. Their new Tacoma is being advertise with a "younger" feel to target the younger generation. They are straying away from the moms and dads who buy a Camry just because "it's reliable". Honda is gaining a reputation in gaining ground with Toyota in terms of quality, have great designs, but lack the big displacement torque better known as "kick you in the back of your seat feeling" that we 350Z owners love. Just my $.02.

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 02-20-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: nissan reliability problems?