Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

help: audi tt or z

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:33 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right, My friend who works at an Audi dealership who passed on this information to me was mis-informed. The tt stands for: Tourist Trophy which is annual race run on the Isle of Man where a beefed up car was called a "TT". The event usually includes many different types of cars and motorcycles. Sorry for the error.
Originally Posted by jeffie7
Not true at all.

I'm not sure what the TT stands for (my thoughts is just a random name) but the convertable is a 2 seater while the coupe is 4.

Last edited by ZlleH; 01-16-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:50 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZlleH
You are right, My friend who works at an Audi dealership who passed on this information to me was mis-informed. The tt stands for: Tourist Trophy which is annual race run on the Isle of Man where a beefed up car was called a "TT". The event usually includes many different types of cars and motorcycles. Sorry for the error.
It's ok, I'll forgive you.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:08 PM
creationv2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help guys...
Old 01-16-2006, 02:13 PM
zzz350

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I see a TT, I always think "wow, I never thought I would see a Karman Ghia reborn, but Audi did it."
Old 01-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Lancaster

Originally Posted by MRfire
Don't worry...if you do get a Z - not everybody on this site is an a$$***....
+1...
If it's good enough for Top Gear to do a comparison, it's not really a dumb question imo
Old 01-16-2006, 02:30 PM
deluzrider

http://69.57.130.234/rfvideos/road_t...diTT_Sport.wmv

watch this than decide
Old 01-16-2006, 02:39 PM
deluzrider

http://69.57.130.234/rfvideos/road_t...diTT_Sport.wmv
watch this
Old 01-16-2006, 04:37 PM
zpennies

The TT and the Z are two different cars. To compare them head to head is not a fair comparison. I drove a TT for 2 yrs before trading it in on a Z last summer. The TT is a great car but as far as performance the Z is hands down a better "sports" car. The TT is more of a sports coupe. Each one has it's high points. The TT is abover and beyond a more luxorious vehicle. The earlier models have a strong 1.8T engine and they introduced a V6 for the later years. The TT also had a quattro (all-wheel drive) option which provided for great handling in incliment weather. The Audi Coupe was a 4 seater but for the record you could not fit anything bigger than a basketball in the backseat. They added the rear seats for insurance purposes only. With this in mind the TT did have a good amount of trunk space when the rear seats were folded down. As I said before the Z is by far a better performance sports car. The Z has the advantage as far as HP, Speed and Handling. My suggestion is if you can't tell the difference then go out and test drive both of them. Your question is not easily answered by saying one is better than the other. It all comes down to what you want in a car and personal preference. People on this forum will probably give you a 1000 different opinons- go test drive both cars and you can formulate your own.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:38 PM
oman

dude the TT looks like a VW bug, in other words UGLY as HELL!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:58 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Thumbs down Tt

A long-time friend from Florida has had two Audi TT's in recent years and he seemed to like them OK. When he visits me in Colorado, I let him borrow my 350Z and he says that his TT's are/were not comparable to my Z in any way.

Ref: Audi sucks. Wrong. I owned a A6 4.2 and currently own a S8. I've never driven or owned a car that comes close to my S8 and to a lesser degree my A6 4.2. Fast -- Very. Comfortable -- Amazingly so. Audio and GPS -- Almost as good as my 350Z.

BTW, I have friends and family who drive Audi cars and everybody I know loves them (no other TT's).

Bob
Sport Z pub
Old 01-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by DoomCue
You might want to check out this site:

http://www.myaudittsucks.com/

Yes, this is a real site.

-djb

VWs AUDIs are lemons...
One of the biggest fockin mistake in my life...a 00 VW jetta VR6.
Service engine light will never go off.
You are the reason for the check engine light cuz you rev the engine too high.......say.....WTF?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:14 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by oman
dude the TT looks like a VW bug, in other words UGLY as HELL!
+1

It looks like a VW bug that's been smooshed/crushed from the top.

Still, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and "looks" is always a subjective call. Personally, I think the Z looks a billion times better.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:23 PM
pedroosan

Stock Audi TT feels like driving a normal car (talking about MT and shifting)
Stock 350z (MT) is a lot of fun and I feel more of a challenge to drive.

If you are a "normal" average type of driver, who thinks about going to a track maybe sometime in the future, RWD is probably more fun to play with.

Personally I don't understand why everyone likes the Audi's interior and thinks the Z looks cheap inside.
I sat in an Audi quattro 1.8 and my touring z. I think the Z has a LOT MORE STYLE inside. Nice lines, uniform orange lights, RPM in the middle, volt meter, oil meter, nice finish. I don't think it looks cheap at all.

The Audi felt cluttered, confusing, messy, not really a sleek simple interior design. Too many different colors (red, white, blue? don't remember, but it was quite a mix).
The RPMs are not in the middle, because the average AUDI TT driver probably does not care about RPMS. NO Oil pressure meter, no Voltage meter, and MOST OF ALL NO Tire pressure sensors (although it was not a this year's model, and they may have added that since then?)

Especially the climate control looked messy all over the place.
Personally I also didn't like the black/chrome touch to everything. Too shiny and too round, and too much contrast. (I think the chrome in the interior is what gets people and why they say it looks more luxurious, but not for me)

The clock is displayed behind the steering wheel in an Audi (between speed and so on). On the Z the clock is only displayed on the radio and sometimes I cannot see that well under certain light conditions.

In the Z you may have to get used to the slightly smaller mph meter, as the RPMs are in the middle and largest. It's no problem at all, just stresses the sport tendency of the car.

In terms of performance I don't have to say anything. Just looking at the specs will tell you everything.
Also the wheels are larger at least on the touring and on all 2006 models (18).

While there may be many AudiTT male drivers out there, I think the reputation is definitely going in the direction of being more of a girls car, and not just on this forum, but in general.

The Z is great for modding and tracking or for just driving it everyday without modding and tracking it.
There are so many modded Z out there and especially in Japan, so many race versions... The z just kicks a**

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
The only audi tt that might be fun is maybe the 3.2 V6 with the DSG and shift paddles I believe.
But then you are talking about a lot more money than the Z.

Last edited by pedroosan; 01-16-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:57 PM
NzZ

Check this out maybe it will help.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...8&q=top%20gear
Old 01-16-2006, 08:16 PM
attamz

There is going to be alot of bias on this site. My previous car was a audi tt coupe. I now have an 03 350z. Performance wise the z wins. However this can easily be changed with a few simple modifications to the tt. My personal opinion is that the only advantage the z has over the tt is performance. Every other aspect of the audi was simply superior to that of the z. For a daily driver I would pick the tt again in a heart beat. Nevermind the fact that the car was unbelieveable in the snow! The z renders its self useless for months here in newengland. The audi is also a much more solid and safer car than the z. Also alot of people are mistaking themselves by stating that the tt is prone to problems. I believe this is due to their lack of understanding of the mechanical aspects of the car. Sure there are people who have had problems with the tt (aka www.myaudittsucks.com) however the z is no different. There are people who have bought lemon z's. Each car will have its quirks, I believe my z has had many more than the tt.

Last edited by attamz; 01-16-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:04 PM
rolling

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Not true at all.

I'm not sure what the TT stands for (my thoughts is just a random name) but the convertable is a 2 seater while the coupe is 4.
TT sounds like "Tittiy" aka TIT aka ******* kinda look a bit feminene to me.. in any color but Black the hard top version to me looks like a bug (barf) witha big body kit..

i drove one forthe hell of it, felt unstable at speed and slow compared to the Z
i was expecting better...

go for the Z unless you like the TiT beTTer
Old 01-16-2006, 10:11 PM
rolling

gawd i cant type on this tiny palmtop computer sorry!!

what happens when you ask this question on a TT site????

where do you go for a "neutral" opinion? try E-pinions dot com..
/
Old 01-17-2006, 05:06 AM
delorean696969

As a vw fanatic; I've owned 3 TT's. Yes, that's right 3. The last one was totalled by a 16 year old slamming into the back of me at 50mph. Anyhow; the TT's are fantastic cars. Personally, I prefer the roundness to their design and unmistakeable face. The interior is top notch and very reminancent of older vw's. However, make no mistake; as with any VW/Audi or german car in general; this car requires heavy maintaince. Common problems with the TT are: faulty MAF sensors, window regulators, coil packs, alternator, coolant temp. sensor, and recall problems with the suspension & rear spoiler. More importantly, the service manual requires the timing belt to be changed at 110k, however this is very wrong. A lot of the problems you hear of are timing belts snapping and bending the valves; requiring a complete engine overhaul or short block replacement. Ideally, if you have the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners replaced every 60K, you have nothing to worry about. A lot of the electrical problems you hear about are low battery related. If the battery gets to low in a TT, then everything goes haywire! Including the motion sensors, gauges, alarm, etc. However, the TT has personality; which in my opinion goes a long way. Additionally, the TT goes in the snow and any weather with ease. And the rear hatch space is enormous! I've actually hauled lumber in a TT!

In retrospect; the Z is a fantastic automobile as well. I just purchased a brand new base 06 and love it! The sound, the torque, and handling are top notch. I also enjoy the maintaince and reliability ease of a japanese car. Put gas in it and change the oil and you're good to go. I also really like the bi-zenon headlamps and the LED parking and brake lights. It truly looks futuristic at night time. Comfort is adequate as well, 1000X's better than the s2000 I owned for 1.5 years. However, snow is not a fun experience in the Z. But i've owned 3 rx-7's as well; so I'm used to fishtailing my way down the interstate. Additionally, the rear hatch space is somewhat limited and disappointing. It seems like they could have made better use of the available space.

So why did I buy a Z instead of another TT? Simple; the bang for your buck factor. Currently, they no longer produce the entry level TT with a manual tranny. You're forced to purchase an auto! Which sucks ***. You are required to upgrade to the 225HP TT coupe to get a manual tranny which will run you close to 38K! I picked up a brand new 06 base Z for 26k that had most everything on it I wanted. Including bi-zenon HIDS and 18inch wheels and 300HP! Honestly, for the money; I don't think you can find a better sports car. However, drive both cars and make your decision. The TT has "spunk", however the "Z" has testosterone.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:22 AM
Dubai

OH yeah wait a minute, I think you're in a Z forum and everyone will be biased for his Z.... same replies you'll get from audi's owners if you asked your question in audi forum.

Make your own mind
Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 AM
lurch

audi is just a better looking vw, but the vw is more for GIRLS except for the
r32; IMO.

Quick Reply: help: audi tt or z