^_^
thanks~
Old 02-04-2006, 02:19 AM
Nano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolia
I’m as skeptical as ever…

So you couldn’t do donuts before?

The steering is lighter? Nothing mechanical has been affected by the change, the steering effort should not change. If it has, then your power steering is working harder to boost all the time. This is not a positive thing, it actually prevent you from feeling the road and available traction up front…
Legends asides... There was a best motoring episode where they tested several tuners 350z. One of them had a custom switch in the ashtray to "completely disable the VDC". I cannot imagine any reason for that unless it really doesn't cut off 100%. (or japanese cars don't have our "stock" vdc switch, but that wouldn't make sense).

I'll try to find the video

Last edited by Nano; 02-04-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:07 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Nano
Legends asides... There was a best motoring episode where they tested several tuners 350z. One of them had a custom switch in the ashtray to "completely disable the VDC". I cannot imagine any reason for that unless it really doesn't cut off 100%. (or japanese cars don't have our "stock" vdc switch, but that wouldn't make sense).

I'll try to find the video
hmmm
thats the episode they tested the amuse 350z right?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Nano

There were 2 episodes that featured tuned 350z

"Rx8 reborn" episode and "jdm racers" episode...

I think it was in the RX8 reborn episode
Old 02-04-2006, 02:39 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by jvanquish
over all i think it makes u a SAFER driver because u r aware that u dont have any safety nets ...:
Let me be blunt. I say thats crap. Why don't you just unbolt your seat belts from the floor while you are at it?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Vamos_Rafael

because taking off the VDC doesnt do anything when you crash, it only let you feel what your car truly feels like...
the seat belt is to hold you in place when you crash... but it doesnt do anything do let you feel what your car truly feels like...
#bad_example
driving with VDC on is like strapping a bunch of weigh when you are playing sports... (it bogs you down)
driving without seatbelt is like not using protection with street hookers (cheap ones)... sooner or later you'll get the fatal blow
Old 02-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Lemans350

not a bad comparison
Old 02-04-2006, 03:35 PM
MulhollandDrive

driving without seatbelt is like not using protection with street hookers (cheap ones)... sooner or later you'll get the fatal blow
LOL.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

because taking off the VDC doesnt do anything when you crash, it only let you feel what your car truly feels like...
the seat belt is to hold you in place when you crash... but it doesnt do anything do let you feel what your car truly feels like...
#bad_example
driving with VDC on is like strapping a bunch of weigh when you are playing sports... (it bogs you down)
Holy crap JV. If you're unable to predict when your VDC is about to come ON, I'm never going to ride with you or even drive around you!

Contrary to your thinking, I say you should definitely drive with the VDC ON. Consider it's activation as your teacher hitting you with his ruler. It means you've gone over the limit and would have messed up otherwise.

I'm serious. Even driving on a full road track, I didn't feel the VDC was still ON until I tried to correct a slide during the warm up lap. The car went crazy then, but if you drive clean, it won't come ON...
Old 02-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Vamos_Rafael

actually i just watched a video of an M3 driven by a set of wussies driving the tail of the dragon... and they had DSC *ON* and it was #pathetic watching them ... i dont want to be like them lol...
http://racingflix.com/downloadvideo.asp?v=1418
there is the video master K...
lol...
but how am i supposed to predict when my VDC is going to kick ON from OFF?
over spinning the tires (i was sliding around doing donuts and drifting on ICE and SNOW so the rear had absolutely no traction) kicks it ON but its not consistent...
lol if you are never going to ride with me, can i ride with you insttead? lol as instruktor lap?
Old 02-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Kolia

I'm loading the video... Not super fast.

I wouldn't say that trying to pull donuts in a parking lot, flooring the throttle, is a "normal" and "safe" situation.

The VDC, when ON, will only interfere if you drive beyond an safe envellope. People seem to think it's super invasive but it's not. If you keep your inputs smooth, if you work with your throttle to keep the car balanced, it will let you play. You can even get the rear end to slide a wee bit. Slide more, enough for you to have to apply opposite lock, and it will activate and try to save you. Because it thinks you're trying to go right while the car is going left, it will apply brakes to make to car go right...

The same applys to TCS. The dude who said he almost got ran over by a semi while on the on ramp of a highway would not have gone much faster without the TCS. He would have done a huge burnout and maybe swerved and spun. (The only way I know to get the TCS to kill power while the car is already moving is with a terribly missed downshift...)

In fact, all the stories of someone saying he "almost crashed/died because of the VDC" where doing something really stupid in the first place... They might have won a Darwin Award without VDC... What a shame...

If you'd rather do a power slide, turn the VDC OFF...

You feel the VDC is impeding on your freedom 'cuz it won't let you do donuts in a school courtyard? What can I say. Whatever floats your boat!

Ah, VDC saves life. Proven statisticaly with same cars availlable with or without it from the manufacturers.

edit: Yeah, you can ride shootgun

Last edited by Kolia; 02-04-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Vamos_Rafael

ah master K... lol good post!
btw are you going to the Z-Day-Z at the dragon?
if so im definately riding shotgun
btw comment about the wuss M3 @ the dragon video after u see it lol...
Old 02-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Kolia

Not sure about Z Day.
It's HPDE at PutnamPark that week-end...
Old 02-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Vamos_Rafael

are u instructing that weekend?
Old 02-04-2006, 07:56 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm loading the video... Not super fast.

I wouldn't say that trying to pull donuts in a parking lot, flooring the throttle, is a "normal" and "safe" situation.

The VDC, when ON, will only interfere if you drive beyond an safe envellope. People seem to think it's super invasive but it's not. If you keep your inputs smooth, if you work with your throttle to keep the car balanced, it will let you play. You can even get the rear end to slide a wee bit. Slide more, enough for you to have to apply opposite lock, and it will activate and try to save you. Because it thinks you're trying to go right while the car is going left, it will apply brakes to make to car go right...

The same applys to TCS. The dude who said he almost got ran over by a semi while on the on ramp of a highway would not have gone much faster without the TCS. He would have done a huge burnout and maybe swerved and spun. (The only way I know to get the TCS to kill power while the car is already moving is with a terribly missed downshift...)

In fact, all the stories of someone saying he "almost crashed/died because of the VDC" where doing something really stupid in the first place... They might have won a Darwin Award without VDC... What a shame...

If you'd rather do a power slide, turn the VDC OFF...

You feel the VDC is impeding on your freedom 'cuz it won't let you do donuts in a school courtyard? What can I say. Whatever floats your boat!

Ah, VDC saves life. Proven statisticaly with same cars availlable with or without it from the manufacturers.

edit: Yeah, you can ride shootgun

So... are you saying the Z is a more inherently unstable car than some others that don't have any type of stability control system? I think you're going a bit over the top on the preaching of it's praises; people ARE capable of driving cars without electronic nannies. Most cars don't have them. The VDC is more invasive than I'd like it to be. I may come off from a stoplight just ever so slightly hotter than usual and the tires spin a bit... Ooops, there goes VDC shutting me down. Don't need that, yet I do still drive with it on for the most part. If I want to play, I shut it off, but I for one would like to know it's REALLY off if I want it to be, thus I'd like to put in a switch. I'd never disable it permanently, as it does keep you safer in most daily driving circumstances. Sure, I agree that knowing it's off keeps you more on your toes, but everybody isn't always "on" and you can't predict the actions of those around you; it only takes one stupid mistake or momentary distraction to end up in big trouble, so for around town driving, I don't see any reason not to have it on. Still, there are diffeerent schools of thought here... can we become too dependent on such systems? Do people tend to drive with less care than they would otherwise, knowing the VDC is going to correct for them?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
So... are you saying the Z is a more inherently unstable car than some others that don't have any type of stability control system? I think you're going a bit over the top on the preaching of it's praises; people ARE capable of driving cars without electronic nannies. Most cars don't have them. The VDC is more invasive than I'd like it to be. I may come off from a stoplight just ever so slightly hotter than usual and the tires spin a bit... Ooops, there goes VDC shutting me down. Don't need that, yet I do still drive with it on for the most part. If I want to play, I shut it off, but I for one would like to know it's REALLY off if I want it to be, thus I'd like to put in a switch. I'd never disable it permanently, as it does keep you safer in most daily driving circumstances. Sure, I agree that knowing it's off keeps you more on your toes, but everybody isn't always "on" and you can't predict the actions of those around you; it only takes one stupid mistake or momentary distraction to end up in big trouble, so for around town driving, I don't see any reason not to have it on. Still, there are diffeerent schools of thought here... can we become too dependent on such systems? Do people tend to drive with less care than they would otherwise, knowing the VDC is going to correct for them?
What are you talking about?

Who said anything about people not being able to drive without VDC? Did you realize you take position against me and then go on defending VDC systems?

As far as I’m concerned, the VDC not OFF when OFF thing is not an issue. It’s definitively OFF after I’ve pushed the button.

Ah, and by the way, a RWD car is inherently unstable… It’s basic dynamics…
Old 02-04-2006, 09:34 PM
bacalhau16

yeah when i turn my VDC button OFF, it definitly is OFF, because i can drift a corner without being corrected. now in my last Z, when i turned it OFF and then did a crazy donut in a parking lot, both VDC light and the SLIP light did turn on, but yet didnt prevent me from doing a nice power slide to end my show.
so by disconnecting this switch, we would have gained nothing, because all you have to do is hit the button to OFF, in the first place. Unless, that is because your button was broken, and when u turned it OFF, it wasnt OFF!
anyone follow that?
Old 02-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Vamos_Rafael

What are you talking about?

Who said anything about people not being able to drive without VDC? Did you realize you take position against me and then go on defending VDC systems?

As far as I’m concerned, the VDC not OFF when OFF thing is not an issue. It’s definitively OFF after I’ve pushed the button.

Ah, and by the way, a RWD car is inherently unstable… It’s basic dynamics…
hmmm...
but RWD is the best concept for a car's drive train ...
because front wheel does the steering and rear wheel does the power delivery...
thats why i cannot buy a FWD... it doesnt make anysense conceptually...

I think I should plug the VDC plug back on... but like "mustgofaster" mentioned it kicks in so early... that whenever you have the throttle past 10-20% it cuts you off... IMO the BMW's DSC and Sport botton set up is much better... but then I'd drive with Sport mode on all the time hahaha
Old 02-05-2006, 05:45 AM
Kolia

hmmm...
but RWD is the best concept for a car's drive train ...
It really depends on the application. But for maximum cornering and motricity, AWD is unbeatable.

Quick Reply: Picture by picture VDC disable (Final Edition) ! ^_^