Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:44 AM
xedes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pay 458.00 per 6 months w/ Allstate.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Barmats

Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens from time to time in different businesses. Unless you have a quote in writing that is NOT "subject to change without notice", there's really not very much you can do other than shopping around for a better rate. This happened to me recently with some advertising quotes in our local newspaper, and in the end, there was nothing I could do except pay the higher price.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:42 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
So we call our agent before buying the Z and they give us a quote $25 more than our 02 Xterra so we are prepared to make a larger monthly payment. I also went to the local office and requested the qoute in person with the VIN.

1 month later we get a bill... that is DOUBLE the difference between the Xterra and the Z.

Convinced this is a mistake... I call and play phone tag with this agent. His final answer was that they quoted me on a preferred rate and when the "state office" or underwriter returned the policy they issued a standard rate (apprently having a 350Z is on their sports car list and disqualifies us for a "preferred" rate).... I told him I didn't care what the problem was on thier side, I wanted them to bill me what they quoted.

This agent calls back and leaves a voicemail saying they can't do any better on my rate even though the quote was their mistake. His only consolence was "I have some friends in the insurance business and can call around to see if I can get you a better rate."

It doesn't matter that we have made a combined $5000 in premiums in the last 6 years and our house is on this policy... they can't do any better on my rate. If this was a new policy they qouted someone, it could be reported to the state for bait and switch. What bull****....

I think my next step is telling him that he will need to call his friends and get a better rate and shop on my own. Basically my rate went from $63mo to $119 with minimal coverage.
So, had the agent told you the cost was going to be $119 per month, or $50 more than your current rate instead of $25 more, you would have decided NOT to buy the Z, correct? Otherwise, I don't see what the problem is.

You can call any agent today and get a quote and when the actual bill arrives it will be different. It happens all the time. Classifications change, rating change, there's always something causing my rates to go up or down every six months. I'm sure that the fine print on any quote from an agent has a clause in it that states that it's only an estimated rate based on certain factors and that those factors can and will change. Same goes for the insurance company.

As for your bait and switch analogy. Unlike buying a product that your "stuck with", you can change agents/insurance companies at will. Nothing is holding you to that policy, other than maybe the realization that the same thing or worse might happen if you switch to a new agent or ins. co.

Call around and talk to some other agents, that should tell you whether you have a beef with this guy or not.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
So, had the agent told you the cost was going to be $119 per month, or $50 more than your current rate instead of $25 more, you would have decided NOT to buy the Z, correct? Otherwise, I don't see what the problem is.

You can call any agent today and get a quote and when the actual bill arrives it will be different. It happens all the time. Classifications change, rating change, there's always something causing my rates to go up or down every six months. I'm sure that the fine print on any quote from an agent has a clause in it that states that it's only an estimated rate based on certain factors and that those factors can and will change. Same goes for the insurance company.

As for your bait and switch analogy. Unlike buying a product that your "stuck with", you can change agents/insurance companies at will. Nothing is holding you to that policy, other than maybe the realization that the same thing or worse might happen if you switch to a new agent or ins. co.

Call around and talk to some other agents, that should tell you whether you have a beef with this guy or not.

I suppose you guys only read the first post and not the update I added today:
I went with a local insurance broker that shops coverage for me annually. We have an A+++ provider through the brokerage that covers both new 2006 vehicles (350Z and Nismo Frontier) with a 300k CSL comprehesive for $126mo.

When we prepay this year, we get a 10% discount and our effective montly rate for both vehicles is ~ $112mo. !!!

You guys need due diligence when shopping insurance. The saying goes it's easier to get something when you already have it applies. Go to a reputible insurance brokerage and let them shop it out for you. It could mean the difference in paying that money to an insurance company or toward a new set of wheels or turbo kit.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:58 PM
UGOTZ'D

I Pay 351.04/mo For Full Coverage So I Would Love To Pay 113/mo!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:00 PM
michaeljr6

i pay 3k a year

age 20
Old 02-24-2007, 01:07 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
You guys need due diligence when shopping insurance. The saying goes it's easier to get something when you already have it applies. Go to a reputible insurance brokerage and let them shop it out for you. It could mean the difference in paying that money to an insurance company or toward a new set of wheels or turbo kit.
That applies to just about anything

Glad to see you found something that you're happy with.

As for everybody else who posts what they pay or what they wish they paid - you're comparing apples to oranges. So many things affect your rates, from where you live, how old you are, how many cars, your driving history, even your credit rating. No two people pay the same thing!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Armando

I have Geico and pay $73 a month for the Z
Old 02-24-2007, 01:28 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
As for everybody else who posts what they pay or what they wish they paid - you're comparing apples to oranges. So many things affect your rates, from where you live, how old you are, how many cars, your driving history, even your credit rating. No two people pay the same thing!
I moved 30 miles in the same state and my insurance droped 25% from that alone. As DavesZ#3 said, your credit rating is now being used in many states and can significantly affect the cost of any insurance you have, cars and homes. It is extremely important to get a knowledgable insurance agent that you trust.

The OP's agent should have provided more accurate info to his existing customer. A hint: if you have two cars and the cheaper, less sporty one is listed as your main car. Your insurance will probably be cheaper for both than the Z alone.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Bevo

I have Allstate with full coverage and I pay 1,350 a year.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:46 PM
4NTOY II

What Id do for a rate like that, Im paying 1500 per 6 months with a fairly decent record. Thankfully tho itll drop to 895 per 6 months next term.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This evidently very common. 21st did the same thing to me. I had the Vin, time, date, and name of the quoting agent...all to no avail. I dropped them in a heartbeat, after being with them forever. A supervisor argued that it was just a "preliminary" quote and not binding. I did however talk them into not charging me for the early cancelation of my coverage after many phone calls.(since renewal is the only time you can change companies without charge). "It's registered with the state and we have no choice but to charge you", was the arguement. Bad way to treat a long time customer.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Z4LIFEBR

damn you guys from the south pay cheap insurance..i live up here in boston and pay $400/ month....im 21 and had 2 tickets in 4 years...
Old 02-25-2007, 03:29 PM
BabyZiLLa

All of you cry me a river. I pay $495 a MONTH with a clean driving record cause im 21, Male, Living in this sad excuse for a provence called Alberta.