Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Driving the MT is a 100000X more fun than my AT...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 11:26 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeys_z
There is no such thing as an automatic sportscar!!!

So a auto supra tt was never a sports car? Auto z32tt was never a sports car? Auto porsche tt is not a sports car? Auto c5 & c6 corvettes arent sports cars? Do some research before you embarass yourself dude.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:03 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My AT shifts when I want it to shift, up or down.

And with the Valve Body upgrade, it's way firmer...

And I have the luxery of driving stop-and-go traffic in a very comfortable way.

And drag racing, it shifts faster than a human driver could

I used to drive MTs, a modded Matra Bagheera, Porsche 924S, Mazda Formula 4, Eclipse, ... I drove Supra TT AT, SCed Trans Am AT, ... and now the 350Z AT. I really like the 350Z AT with the VB upgrade (my Trans Am had the same) and I think it is the best of all the ATs. For this city, I definitely prefer it above the MT while it still allows me to have great fun at the Drag track and in the mountains.

Danny
Old 02-23-2006, 02:46 PM
aonic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much is a VB upgrade, Danny?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:58 PM
mc4life

yea how much is that?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
mikewagon

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
You can get a shift boot that makes it look like a manual. There's this guy on the G35 boards with a fake clutch pedal on his auto G35c.
fake clutch huh??? you gotta find some pics........and i'll find one of uncle ben.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:00 PM
lzaffuto

My ideal transmission would be a DSG like gearbox... with NON-sequential functionality. Think of a six speed manual Z. Now remove the clutch pedal. That's it. A traditional manual car except the computer controls the clutch. No cheapass paddle-shifters or buttons here, a real honest to god stickshift without a clutch. Ex: You can still go directly from 6th to 4th bypassing 5th if you want to. Just have a button on the steering wheel next to the cruise control to set it in "auto" mode where it acts like an automatic. That'll be the first and only automatic I'll ever own as my primary transportation. Let me know when someone designs one.

Anyone else like the idea, or is it just me? The biggest complaint almost everyone has with a manual transmission is the clutch. Remove that, keep everything else, and why would anyone want a traditional "park-and-drive" auto in anything meant to be even mildly fun to drive? If someone could pull it off, they'd make lotsa money.

Last edited by lzaffuto; 02-23-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:13 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Where's Aggro_Al?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:25 PM
MYZISHOT

I have an auto and it's awesome so shut up!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:29 PM
BENSIN

Originally Posted by MYZISHOT
I have an auto and it's awesome so shut up!

OH Snap! n*gga didn't!!! HE DID!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:06 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by yobri
Where's Aggro_Al?
Probably defending the world against auto haters on the other board.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:31 PM
mc4life

Dam I guess that makes me a hypocrite and a hater then...
Old 02-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by lzaffuto
My ideal transmission would be a DSG like gearbox... with NON-sequential functionality. Think of a six speed manual Z. Now remove the clutch pedal. That's it. A traditional manual car except the computer controls the clutch. No cheapass paddle-shifters or buttons here, a real honest to god stickshift without a clutch. Ex: You can still go directly from 6th to 4th bypassing 5th if you want to. Just have a button on the steering wheel next to the cruise control to set it in "auto" mode where it acts like an automatic. That'll be the first and only automatic I'll ever own as my primary transportation. Let me know when someone designs one.

Anyone else like the idea, or is it just me? The biggest complaint almost everyone has with a manual transmission is the clutch. Remove that, keep everything else, and why would anyone want a traditional "park-and-drive" auto in anything meant to be even mildly fun to drive? If someone could pull it off, they'd make lotsa money.
The have one. It's called the Toyota SMT and it sucks. I don't think Toyota uses it anymore and they probably would like people to forget about it. There's also the Zeroshift transmission but you won't find it on any production cars.

http://www.zeroshift.com/products/index.htm
Old 02-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Fletch69z

6MT rules, .
Old 02-24-2006, 08:01 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The BMW smgII's rock. The new M5 shifts faster than mario adretti which is one of the fastest shifters in the world...
Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 AM
lzaffuto

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
The have one. It's called the Toyota SMT and it sucks.
The Toyota SMT? If you're talking about the one on the MRS it is still sequential and it uses buttons on the wheel and a stick with only + or -- just like every other DSG out there(and traditional autos like the Z). It did suck, but it was also first generation technology for a car in that pricerange. The DSGs in newer cars are much better, and they'll be superior to regular automatics in time as the technology advances and filters down. I just hope someone releases a non-sequential one eventually... no + or -- ... just a real 5 or 6 speed stick shift pattern.

The Zeroshift looks interesting though.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:32 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dscheers

And drag racing, it shifts faster than a human driver could
wow, thats a pretty lofty claim....
Old 02-24-2006, 01:40 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO automatics (I'm not talking about SMG's or DSG's or anything like that)are put in most mass manufactured sports cars for sales purposes. sure cars like the s2000, viper and lotus would sell a hell of a lot more if they were offered with an automatic, but the manufacturers decided against it because they wanted to keep the "sports car" perception untainted. they're essentially saying if you can't drive a stick then don't buy this car. and I actually really respect them for that.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:09 PM
mc4life

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
IMO automatics (I'm not talking about SMG's or DSG's or anything like that)are put in most mass manufactured sports cars for sales purposes. sure cars like the s2000, viper and lotus would sell a hell of a lot more if they were offered with an automatic, but the manufacturers decided against it because they wanted to keep the "sports car" perception untainted. they're essentially saying if you can't drive a stick then don't buy this car. and I actually really respect them for that.
yess and I am a victim of that...if they made them all stick shift I would of had a MT right now and there would be no MT AT wars at this forum!!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 08:42 AM
dscheers

Originally Posted by aonic
how much is a VB upgrade, Danny?
The Stillen one is 675$

http://www.ultimatez.com/shop/index....08&cart=437467

There are others too, heard that the Level10 might be even better... 800$ at http://www.levelten.com/store/

Speaking of LEVEL 10, they also have a mod which let you shft up and down to ANY gear with the 5AT, so from 5 to 2 if you wanted...
http://www.levelten.com/store/import...shiftronic.htm
Old 02-25-2006, 08:44 AM
dscheers

Originally Posted by lzaffuto

Read what Audi has done with it: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=91

Quick Reply: Driving the MT is a 100000X more fun than my AT...