Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

WASH YOUR Z's PLEASE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
StillAlive2029

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mecinoid
That's about what I do with mine. It's doesn't see rain unless I can't help it.
That duty is for the Pathfinder. I use a California duster every other day and place a car cover on my baby at night in the garage so she stays clean all the time.

what is a california duster?????
Old 03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
KwanZito

I'm definitely guilty of this right now. When the weather is nice I detail the car every saturday morning, and enjoy the heck out of doing it. But right now, the weather is so bad, and there's so much sand and salt on our roads, my Z looks like crap.
I'm just glad I got to put a coat of wax on it 3 weeks ago on the one nice weekend we had, so hopefully I still have a clearcoat left!
There's so much sand on the roads i can see the paint wearing off of my mud guards after just one winter.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Soccerprep205

Originally Posted by StillAlive2029
honestly... or sarcastic?

oh well, its a BIG duster that you can dust your car with, without scratching it up. sum1 post a pic im too lazy
Old 03-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I forgot to mention I look foward to rain.. free car wash
Old 03-01-2006, 08:39 PM
KwanZito

California Car Duster:
Attached Thumbnails WASH YOUR Z's PLEASE!!!!-caliduster.gif  
Old 03-01-2006, 09:06 PM
StillAlive2029

Originally Posted by KwanZito
California Car Duster:

where do i get one?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Z Rider

Originally Posted by Soccerprep205
honestly... or sarcastic?

oh well, its a BIG duster that you can dust your car with, without scratching it up. sum1 post a pic im too lazy
Anybody else use the California duster? I have been using it ever since I have had my car and so far it has worked great. For those of you that have SB you should know by now that it is a f**kin pain to keep clean. I use the duster everyday ( z is my DD ), and if it werent for the duster, my car would look like crap. I wash mine religiously every week and the duster makes it looking spot free the whole week. Its all worth it though .......SB looks THE BEST when clean.
On a side note, even though i haven't had a problem yet, does the California duster cause scrathes and / or swirl marks on the Z's paint? Im starting to get concerned about this, since I do use it everyday. Any comments?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by StillAlive2029
Actually California Duster is the original manufacture of a mop like item on a short stick. It's impregnated with a dust attractant type of solution. (lrg blk one) You just wipe the dust/pollen right off the car. If you get heavy mud or a lot of dirt build up you have to wash the car. It's good for light dusting off of the car. Some people fear scratching of the car. I have never scratched any car I have used this on.
It helps if you keep your car waxed well. But, it seems to pull the dirt up and away not push it along.

I used a smaller one to dust off the front wheels before I bought the EBC brake pads.(blue one) I use another one of the small ones to dust off the interior. (sm blk one)

You can get them at almost any auto parts store. They only cost about $15 for the large one. Now, if you buy the original California Duster it might cost $25 but they last for about two years using it twice a week or so.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-01-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 AM
joekool

I'm from Australia and the weather has been real **** for the last week.. I just bought my Z last week so really looking forward to giving her a wash and a detail when the weather clears up
Old 03-02-2006, 04:07 AM
taurran

The fact is most non-enthusiasts don't care as much about their Z's at this point.

Most of the bandwagoners that jumped on in 03 are probably close to the point of selling their Z's and buying Solstice's. Half the time I see a Z or G on the road, the brake dust is so bad it looks like their front wheel has been painted black.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:20 AM
ML2000

I wash mine every week and wax it 2 times a month, but that's because it stay outside. I also use my carcover every night so that helps a little.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 AM
uncutZ00

remember to wax your Z's guys....

i got this big nasty rock chip/scrape on my front left side of my hood. it probably would have been avoided if i would have waxed it...

i used to wax once a week, but now i only wash once a week, and california duster it once a day
Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 AM
AndyS

My Z is black and my DD. I wash it once a month, maybe twice a month when the weather is decent. I just take it through a car wash. I love my car but I don't get bent out of shape when it's dirty. I do have a life outside of being a Z owner, my Z is not my life. Besides, swirl marks & brake dust kick ***.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Clapton9286

It's sort of hard when the temperature barely gets above freezing, and when it does its when you're working/in class.

I'm hoping to god that this weekend its around 40...my baby needs it badly..freaking salt.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Soccerprep205

Originally Posted by Z Rider
Anybody else use the California duster? I have been using it ever since I have had my car and so far it has worked great. For those of you that have SB you should know by now that it is a f**kin pain to keep clean. I use the duster everyday ( z is my DD ), and if it werent for the duster, my car would look like crap. I wash mine religiously every week and the duster makes it looking spot free the whole week. Its all worth it though .......SB looks THE BEST when clean.
On a side note, even though i haven't had a problem yet, does the California duster cause scrathes and / or swirl marks on the Z's paint? Im starting to get concerned about this, since I do use it everyday. Any comments?
Haha yeah ive used them on all of my cars. accept i was just to lazy to take a pic and post it, or go find a pic.
thx for postin the pix though. SUNNY DAY TODAY AND IM AT THE SHOP!!! haha the 1 nice day in a while here in WA, and im at the performance shop getting a boost leak fixed
Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 AM
350Zylow

i wash mine about every two fort-nights, that way i can tell when i wash it. five times a week and more is a little crazy, and it cant be good for the cc, rubber, etc. i keep about 830 quarters in my z, just in case...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:34 AM
buho62

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I havnt washed my car in at least 2-3 months.

It's still spotless =)
I bet it got those sweet swirl marks everywhere!!

I used to wash it all the time, 5 - 6 days a week. Hell, once I washed/polished/wax, next day I waxed again, next day I washed it again and I hadn't even taken my car out!!, then waxed it again, until my girlfriend didn't like that so much, she said "I paid more attention to the car than her".

So I guess I dont wash my car as often now!!

Still I wash it couple of times a week, hehe.

Last edited by buho62; 03-02-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:36 PM
j_zhou

mine likes it dirty.y

don't over wash, you'll get rust.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:44 PM
lw3

Originally Posted by taurran
The fact is most non-enthusiasts don't care as much about their Z's at this point.

Most of the bandwagoners that jumped on in 03 are probably close to the point of selling their Z's and buying Solstice's. Half the time I see a Z or G on the road, the brake dust is so bad it looks like their front wheel has been painted black.
I swear that it feels like Im the only one in houston that cleans their Z. I wash Z at least twice a week.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 PM
hbenet

Originally Posted by jdm3fiddyZ
every day after i get home....lol
+1 during summer, and during winter 2-3 times/week. All "touchless", no swirls.

Quick Reply: WASH YOUR Z's PLEASE!!!!