Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are the RE040s really this bad? and how I almost crashed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 10:59 PM
MovingViolation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should have made this car 4X4 so I could go hunt cariboo on arctic tundra. They also should have added a breathalyzer so when I get really drunk I can't start the car. When I buy a sports car I expect it to have chains and studs included because this vehicle was designed for that kind of driving.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:04 AM
redz32/bluez33

Default 35 PSI is what to run, and don't believe the monitors

Originally posted by sbkim
You guys are really starting to scare me with all these posts about losing control. Thank god for VDC. I probably won't be here today if it wasn't for active handling (VDC for the C5)!

What is the recommended tire pressure for the z? 38lbs seems awfully high. I am running 28lbs in the rear for my C5 and the recommended pressue is 30lbs. It seems like lower pressure allows a bit more traction.

On a side note, recently got the Kumho's for the rear (originally had Pilots) in 295/35/18's and so far I am fairly impressed by ride/handling. These were about 1/3 less than the Pilots.
In regular weather, which around here is about 70 degrees, 35 psi front and rear is recommended. This is COLD tire pressure, and will go up to about 38-39 psi with heat/driving/hard cornering. So 38 is not too high, unless you start with that as your cold pressure.
Also, I have compared the cold readings from the pressure monitors to external gauges, and mine are reading about 2-3 psi lower than they should. At first, I doubted my gauge (an Accutire digital-reads 1/2 lbs accuracy) until I compared it to one of the finest gauges in the world, a Drager analog dial gauge. These are factory calibrated and lifetime warrantied. The one I checked it against is over 30 years old, which you would never know, as it looks brand new. Anyway, the Accutire gauge is dead on. Plus having 1/2 lbs is a bonus over the Drager. So don't necessarily believe your monitors, especially since their living environment is considerably harsher than the console box that an external gauge normally lives in. Double check 'em!
Kumhos-I have them on my Z32, and they're great tires, especially for the price. I don't know if I would/will put them on my 350, but they work nice on the Z32. Nice steady breakaway, no surprises, pretty decent stickiness, and not nearly as noisy as the Potenza RE730's they replaced. And consider that the RE730's lasted me 18,000 miles, and cost $560 installed, vs. the Kumhos (Ecsta Supra 712's-Stupid name, I think, but not as bad as Han-KOOK's) which already have 12,000 miles and half their tread left, and cost me $300 delivered and installed. (thank you Tire Rack and my next door neighbor Jerry's Tire) But for the 350, I'm not sure yet. Yokohama AVS Sports? S-03 pole positions? Both have treadwear ratings of about 140. (which is the same as the RE040's-Not gonna last long...RE730's were 300AAA, and Kumho's are 280AA, so do the math..) Of course, I'm running stock 225/50ZR16's on the Z32, and those pups are relatively cheap compared to what the dang non-rotatable 18's on the 350 are gonna cost....OUCH!
As for running your pressures low, not a great idea. You're putting dangerously more stress on your sidewalls under hard cornering, especially with such a low-pro tire as a 35. Run your tires at what the tire manufacturer and the vehicle manufacturer suggest. If they don't concur, find a number between those two and run them at that. But if you're stuck in the deep sand, or off roading, go ahead and run your tires soft. I don't think I'll be doing either of those things in my 350 anytime soon, though.......
Old 01-30-2003, 12:17 AM
redz32/bluez33

Default HUH?

Originally posted by MovingViolation
They should have made this car 4X4 so I could go hunt cariboo on arctic tundra. They also should have added a breathalyzer so when I get really drunk I can't start the car. When I buy a sports car I expect it to have chains and studs included because this vehicle was designed for that kind of driving.
Chains and Studs? Caribou hunting? You Canucks are far out! I think your brain's been exposed to too much ice and snow, eh? Hell, and Vancouver's the tropical paradise of Canada! That's what I love about this forum-you get all types! Keep on Z-in!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:17 AM
ttheisen93

I'm starting to wonder if the VDC isn't part of the problem, not the solution. I've been driving a base model in sub 10 degree weather and haven't had the slightest problem with traction, whether the tires are warmed up or not. I've pushed it hard on traffic circles and haven't felt any loss of traction whatsoever. In fact, it feels a lot stickier than my old Maxima. Perhaps the VDC isn't the cure its advertised to be. Anyone else with a base model want to pipe in?
Old 01-30-2003, 06:00 AM
VaZee

Haven't had too many problems either, expect may some wheel hop in first gear, but I taken 25mph curves doing 45 with no problem in 30's weather.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:48 AM
WayneTN

Default Re: HUH?

Originally posted by redz32/bluez33
Chains and Studs? Caribou hunting? You Canucks are far out! I think your brain's been exposed to too much ice and snow, eh? Hell, and Vancouver's the tropical paradise of Canada! That's what I love about this forum-you get all types!
The Canuck was just being sarcastic making fun of us for complaining about getting a sports car when we buy a sports car. He reeled you right into the boat.

WayneTN
Old 01-30-2003, 08:25 AM
MovingViolation

lol
Old 01-31-2003, 02:47 AM
redz32/bluez33

Wink Re: Re: HUH?

Originally posted by WayneTN
The Canuck was just being sarcastic making fun of us for complaining about getting a sports car when we buy a sports car. He reeled you right into the boat.

WayneTN
I knew what he meant. Actually, I swam up to the boat and threw the hook back at him. Except that canadians don't understand this, since the only fishing they do is ice fishing, and swimming in that is no fun at all.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:39 AM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Ahem...

redz32/bluez33 do you need a geography lesson?

Have you ever actually been to Canada?

You remind me of all the mush-head Yanks I meet on trips to places like Hawaii and Florida who ask me "Do y'all really live in Igloos up there?"