2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Obsession With Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 02:05 AM
joeandcarol2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by tbcz

joeandcarol2,

I pretty much agree with you about the relevance of a few tenths of a second to my enjoyment of the car. Hell, I had a Mazda 323 hatchback back in the late '80s, and the thing could barely get out of it's own way. But you know what? It was a hoot to drive. There's a reason why the Miata has been hailed by every major car mag as a landmark, and it sure ain't because of it's lightning acceleration.

Still, I hope you understand why I edited your post earlier. There are those who feel that a sports cars greatness should be measured with a stopwatch, and that's fine. Disagree with them, tell them why you think they're wrong, but please don't insult them. I wouldn't let them do it to you either.
Thanks, I'm not upset. I should have stopped short of using the "I" word in making my point. Hope everyone is having a nice holiday weekend. I am.
Old 07-06-2002, 04:02 AM
Boomer

Default Obession w/#s

I just read my Car and Driver. I am saved: the Z equals or betters my beloved MR2 Turbo.

The MR2T went 0-60 in 6.2 secs basically stock; and
did the 1/4 mile in 14.7 secs; again worshipers of the Mister Two Mark II , don't put out a contract on me. These are bone-stock times.

Carand Driver says the 350Z does 0-60 in 5.4 secs, given that I ordered an auto trans, with parasitic losses of .5 of a sec thats 0-60 in 5.9 secs, a winner! The 350 does the 1/4 mile in 13.9 secs and figuring the same parasitic losses, the auto should run the 1/4 mile 14.4 secs, another winner(bone-stock)!

Based on the data, both objective and subjective, C&D praises the 350 as the new incarnation of the original 240Z.

You know what, I really don't care much about numbers. An example: My first new car was a two seater British sports car that ran 0-60 in 10.5 secs and the 1/4 in 17.5! Bog slow and incredibly fun to drive. Both my wife and I agree, it was our favorite car of all the sports models we ever owned. When C&D said how well the 350 handled and how comfortable it was to go fast in it, my appetite for the car has increased 10 fold.

Don't get me wrong, numbers are great when they approach or surpass much more expensive cars; but for me it is the driving experience that pulls my chain, one of the reasons I chose a 5spd auto for variety as well as convenience.

I also became addicted to the MR2T's roll-on acceleration in all gears since it was terrific. At 2400 rpm the turbo lag disappeared and the car pulled like a freight train all the way to the horsepower peak at 6000 rpm(redline was 7300), but 7000 was really as high as you needed to go for a great time.

The review of the 350 indicated there was a rush of power when you hit 4000 rpm; the MR2T rush hit at 28-3200(torque peak).

Sounds I will get what I wanted plus more: hp, torque, room, and a civilized ride, the MR2T sometimes bounced from pothole to pothole instead of keeping its wheels on the ground. Slows you down. The 350 doen't seem to have this problem.

For me, faster is nice, but the driving experience comes first.

Boomer-- waiting, waiting,.......

Last edited by Boomer; 07-06-2002 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:55 AM
joeandcarol2

Default Re: Obession w/#s

Originally posted by Boomer
I just read my Car and Driver. I am saved: the Z equals or betters my beloved MR2 Turbo.

The MR2T went 0-60 in 6.2 secs basically stock; and
did the 1/4 mile in 14.7 secs; again worshipers of the Mister Two Mark II , don't put out a contract on me. These are bone-stock times.

Carand Driver says the 350Z does 0-60 in 5.4 secs, given that I ordered an auto trans, with parasitic losses of .5 of a sec thats 0-60 in 5.9 secs, a winner! The 350 does the 1/4 mile in 13.9 secs and figuring the same parasitic losses, the auto should run the 1/4 mile 14.4 secs, another winner(bone-stock)!

Based on the data, both objective and subjective, C&D praises the 350 as the new incarnation of the original 240Z.

You know what, I really don't care much about numbers. An example: My first new car was a two seater British sports car that ran 0-60 in 10.5 secs and the 1/4 in 17.5! Bog slow and incredibly fun to drive. Both my wife and I agree, it was our favorite car of all the sports models we ever owned. When C&D said how well the 350 handled and how comfortable it was to go fast in it, my appetite for the car has increased 10 fold.

Don't get me wrong, numbers are great when they approach or surpass much more expensive cars; but for me it is the driving experience that pulls my chain, one of the reasons I chose a 5spd auto for variety as well as convenience.

I also became addicted to the MR2T's roll-on acceleration in all gears since it was terrific. At 2400 rpm the turbo lag disappeared and the car pulled like a freight train all the way to the horsepower peak at 6000 rpm(redline was 7300), but 7000 was really as high as you needed to go for a great time.

The review of the 350 indicated there was a rush of power when you hit 4000 rpm; the MR2T rush hit at 28-3200(torque peak).

Sounds I will get what I wanted plus more: hp, torque, room, and a civilized ride, the MR2T sometimes bounced from pothole to pothole instead of keeping its wheels on the ground. Slows you down. The 350 doen't seem to have this problem.

For me, faster is nice, but the driving experience comes first.

Boomer-- waiting, waiting,.......
Phew thought i was alone. Yes ergonomics of driving is as important as the performance. Sometimes a car with a 0.80g skidpad feels better in corners than one with 0.85g.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:06 AM
BrianZ

Default Re: Re: Obession w/#s

Originally posted by joeandcarol2

Phew thought i was alone. Yes ergonomics of driving is as important as the performance. Sometimes a car with a 0.80g skidpad feels better in corners than one with 0.85g.
I thought you weren't even getting a 350Z, so all this talk of "agreement" is so much binary noise.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:07 AM
joeandcarol2

Default Re: Re: Re: Obession w/#s

Originally posted by BrianZ

I thought you weren't even getting a 350Z, so all this talk of "agreement" is so much binary noise.
Get a life BrianZ. I am considering several cars and will make my choice after i can drive them. The 350Z is on the list. What is your problem? Actually I can afford a 350Z and another car. My wife likes manual tranny sportscars so we may get one for her. You don't like people with opinions other than yours?