Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Base coupe - any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006 | 01:22 AM
6swhite350z

Default Base coupe - any regrets?

Hey guys... ive seen numerous threads about traction control and what not.. but i was wondering.. to those who have the BASE COUPE without the traction control, do you guys regret it? how is it in the rain? ne problems?

i have a 05 rx8 with DSC, and its always on. sometimes i turn it off, but then i go easy on the throttle. but considering the 350z has a lot more torque, is it a problem?

the enthusiast model costs a few grand more than the base, but it seems like i can only afford the base. would i regret it without traction control? input please
Old 03-15-2006 | 01:54 AM
UBERMENSCH
Banned

I know those that have 03's do not have HID on the base models, and that really sucks HID is very important to me.
Old 03-15-2006 | 03:12 AM
FrankieZZ

Never wanted either . The 03 base is like a ball of clay that YOU get to mold .
Old 03-15-2006 | 03:46 AM
BlueMeany

I agree 100%. With the base, you everything you need and nothing you don't. I've heard that the factory lsd sucks anyway. and I've seen numerous threads of people disabling their traction control. Get the base and put an aftermarket lsd. as for traction control, wider, stickier tires. take the extra couple thousand b/w the base and enthusiast and get those. You spend the same, and come out on top.
Old 03-15-2006 | 03:52 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by BlueMeany
I agree 100%. With the base, you everything you need and nothing you don't. I've heard that the factory lsd sucks anyway. and I've seen numerous threads of people disabling their traction control. Get the base and put an aftermarket lsd. as for traction control, wider, stickier tires. take the extra couple thousand b/w the base and enthusiast and get those. You spend the same, and come out on top.
no no no ...
about traction control, since most drivers now a days are handicapped, VDC is really really important...
stickier dry traction tires just wont cut it because you need the VDC when it comes bad weather, a la rain, snow where your max performance summer tread is rendered useless...
if its a weekend driver/racer then get the base since you probably wont take it out in bad weather
but if its a daily driver and your driving isnt mario andretti or tiff needell level yet...
get the performance trim or higher!
because when you upgrade, you can always sell the stock parts off (yes its at a discounted price but you wont regret it)
Old 03-15-2006 | 04:17 AM
LIdrew

I would have to agree with Bee Ess Pee. VDC has saved me from wrecking my car on a few occasions, mostly in the rain but alos when it was dry with some sand on the street. I only shut it off on dry days in summer when it is warm so my stock potenzas grip better. You would probably get by if you upgraded to a better tire other than stock, but I still believe VDC is important. I got an 03 Touring just because it was the only Black/Burnt Orange/ 6MT they had on the lot.
Old 03-15-2006 | 04:19 AM
delorean696969

No regrets. My 06 base does fine in the rain, and in min. snow I got around all winter with the stock tires. Not having cruise control sometimes sucks because I have a heavy foot on the interstate, other than that i'm very satisfied!
Old 03-15-2006 | 04:38 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by 6swhite350z
Hey guys... ive seen numerous threads about traction control and what not.. but i was wondering.. to those who have the BASE COUPE without the traction control, do you guys regret it? how is it in the rain? ne problems?

i have a 05 rx8 with DSC, and its always on. sometimes i turn it off, but then i go easy on the throttle. but considering the 350z has a lot more torque, is it a problem?

the enthusiast model costs a few grand more than the base, but it seems like i can only afford the base. would i regret it without traction control? input please
Forget the VDC and fancy light.

A Base has NO cruise control... I'd shoot myself driving long distance on the highway without that ! And I'd be getting plenty of speeding tickets as speed just piles up without you noticing it...

A Base is a race car shell. Might as well buy a recked one and build it up.
Old 03-15-2006 | 04:53 AM
Vamos_Rafael

ah jesus...
i got cruise control and i've neve used it before...
even in my audi (first car) i had cruise and didnt figure out how to use it lol...
imo driving the car is i select the gear, i choose how much power and i choose which direction to go, NOT the computer
btw if you do get the base i'll sell u my cruise control available steeringwheel so you can have cruise too
Old 03-15-2006 | 05:02 AM
Kolia

If it was availlable, I'd get a car that can drive itself to the race track and THEN I'd drive it....
Old 03-15-2006 | 05:22 AM
Vamos_Rafael

yes master K, i totally agree!
but i wouldnt trust the artificial intelligence of today yet (i just did an A.I. presentation for comp sci class)
Old 03-15-2006 | 05:29 AM
gixracer

i did not want to get get a base cause of my wife. if she wants to drive it she would need the vdc so she doesn't wad it up. i bought a track for the non eather seats and brakes. no vdc for me means fun- vdc for my wife,even though she has only driven it 50 miles last year, is saftey.

as for modding your base model, the best mods are driver mods go to a school and learn how to drive what you got.
Old 03-15-2006 | 05:30 AM
deezz

I have had my base for about 2 months and TC could have probably saved me once. It was more a case of just being careful in the rain more than anything. I don't miss VDC or TC, just use "Throttle Control" and you should be alright.

I think w/ or w/o TC you are going to have a few "Pucker" moments. Although I did sit in a Grand Touring Edition Z at the Auto Show and thing was very nicely appointed....of course it would have been another $9,000 or so over the base.
Old 03-15-2006 | 05:38 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by deezz
I have had my base for about 2 months and TC could have probably saved me once. It was more a case of just being careful in the rain more than anything. I don't miss VDC or TC, just use "Throttle Control" and you should be alright.

I think w/ or w/o TC you are going to have a few "Pucker" moments. Although I did sit in a Grand Touring Edition Z at the Auto Show and thing was very nicely appointed....of course it would have been another $9,000 or so over the base.
it only take 1 slip and your car is in the garbage can

so i got no idea why your saying ...
in say every 2 month it saves u once then every year u get saved 6 times...
that means alot because once on a full moon night where the devils going to get ya... you'd regret it
Old 03-15-2006 | 06:15 AM
nkohler

03 base here, i put in an OEM vlsd and HID's and the alum pedals and etc. I love not having to worry about VDC/TCS. Ive driven it plenty of times in the rain and in light snow without issue. Although all my sports cars in my life did not come with these computer aids so I really dont depend on them at all. I had some computer aid crap in my Lexus IS300 and i hated them, they didnt help at all, they actually made it less predictable if you were used to having full control.

The only thing I would want from the enthusiest may be the cruize control. That would be nice to have sometimes.
Old 03-15-2006 | 06:20 AM
deezz

Originally Posted by Bee Ess Pee
it only take 1 slip and your car is in the garbage can

so i got no idea why your saying ...
in say every 2 month it saves u once then every year u get saved 6 times...
that means alot because once on a full moon night where the devils going to get ya... you'd regret it
That one time I was leaving a gas station after a light rain, so I probably had oil,gas, and my tires were wet, so I spun a little out of control when I exited the station.
Am I afraid for my life every time I get into my car when it's raining...NO. just use some common sense and be careful and anyone with a base will be OK. Enjoy your TC or VDC by all means, but just don't become complacent just because you have that extra safety feature. I am quite certain there are plenty of totaled Z's that had TC
Old 03-15-2006 | 06:23 AM
jers09

I have an 04 Base with no regrets. There are a lot of posts on the boards about VDC and TC being an absolute necessity. For some it may be. I'm guessing that everybody on this board has driven regularly or owned a car with out VDC/TC. If you drive responsibly and keep your RPM's low in the rain (I can't speak for snow) the car can be controlled just fine. It just takes some critical thinking and restraint to make you safe.

I don't have VDC or TC and have been driving the Z for two years and have yet to have been in a situation that steering, brakes and throttle control couldn't get me out of. Keep in mind that when its slick I'm driving like an old lady. Yep it's embarrassing to get passed on the highway in the rain by a minivan but if that's what it takes to keep me and my Z safe, so be it
Old 03-15-2006 | 06:32 AM
amsweigart@hotm

I have no regrets at all with my 06 base. I enjoy being in complete control of my baby. Modding her will be fun~
Old 03-15-2006 | 07:35 AM
AndyS

I have a 2004 Base. I have never had a problem driving where I wish I had VDC or LSD. Snow sucks w/ stock tires, bought some Blizzaks for winter, problem solved. Rain, sand, dirt, whatever have never caused me to slide around on the road and lose control, not once. Only thing I wish I had was cruise control for long trips. If you drive under control you shouldn't have any problems with a base model. Buy what you want.
Old 03-15-2006 | 07:55 AM
Kabeetz

The base rocks. Who the heck uses cruise control. If you do and think it's worth 2,500 then go for it. The LSD/VDC is nice to have, but the other solution is simply driving smart. If it's snowing, don't take the car out, with or without those options. If it's raining, drive cautiously and keep a safe distance.

Sometimes the Z makes it hard to do anything but blazing through the left lane, but you gotta get over it and drive safely when conditions call for it.

If you do, you'll love it.

In addition, if it's a daily driver, car mags have been disappointed by the higher trim's ride with the suspension as being too stiff for daily use while others who don't mind a stiff ride have modded this aspect any way.

Bottom line..if you can afford more and appreciate the features, get the trim you want.

If you decide to get a base because of budgetary concerns or the urge to put more money towards mods, then you will be happy.

you simply, guaranteed, 100% will not regret whichever Z you get. Like everyone else who makes a large your mind will come up with a million reasons why you made the best choice anyways, lol.

Quick Reply: Base coupe - any regrets?