Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Down Shifting vs. Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:01 AM
arneltec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SO never "N" + Brake!

So you guys are saying that there is never ever a time that it is okay to "N" and brake to a stop.

So I'm going 20mph and theres a light that turned red infornt of me and there is no cars for miles. You're saying that even though I'm ready to shift into gear and my left foot huvering over the clutch waiting just for the time that the light might turn green, even though I know that that light is going to take a while to turn green cause I've stopped at that light 2,503 times. It's still under no circumstance that it is okay for me to go into nutral and hell just let the car coast to stop (just brake slowly to a stop). So this is absolutly never ever okay because its a noobish thing to do. Does that also mean that we should all power shift, because hell I think I take too long to shift cause I like to make a smooth transition between gears, and if I'm on my clutch, then technically I'm virtually driving in nutral for those split seconds, so thats shouldn't be okay also. But I dont know, I dont go on the race track, I don't drive on the road like its a race track.

I know its not a good Idea to go on neutral and slam on your brake at 80mph, but to say its never ever acceptable to cruise in nutral and slow to a stop even for a second is kinda extreme. The reason a MT is chosen over a AT is because it's versatile, you shift when you want, not when a computer wants you to. If you're never ever going on neutral, then get a Triptronic!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arneltec
So you guys are saying that there is never ever a time that it is okay to "N" and brake to a stop.

So I'm going 20mph and theres a light that turned red infornt of me and there is no cars for miles. You're saying that even though I'm ready to shift into gear and my left foot huvering over the clutch waiting just for the time that the light might turn green, even though I know that that light is going to take a while to turn green cause I've stopped at that light 2,503 times. It's still under no circumstance that it is okay for me to go into nutral and hell just let the car coast to stop (just brake slowly to a stop). So this is absolutly never ever okay because its a noobish thing to do. Does that also mean that we should all power shift, because hell I think I take too long to shift cause I like to make a smooth transition between gears, and if I'm on my clutch, then technically I'm virtually driving in nutral for those split seconds, so thats shouldn't be okay also. But I dont know, I dont go on the race track, I don't drive on the road like its a race track.

I know its not a good Idea to go on neutral and slam on your brake at 80mph, but to say its never ever acceptable to cruise in nutral and slow to a stop even for a second is kinda extreme. The reason a MT is chosen over a AT is because it's versatile, you shift when you want, not when a computer wants you to. If you're never ever going on neutral, then get a Triptronic!
Yep.

At least, if you read only part of what everybody said and only quotes the “Don’t coast in N” bits, that’s what we said…

We’re just saying (to people who asked our opinion on the subject), that it’s not a good practice to coast in neutral, for safety. We’re (well, me anyways) also saying it’s not a good practice to use engine braking instead of the brakes.

So, if you really what to take these advises to the letter, you can’t slow down at all.

Use your judgment…
Old 03-24-2006, 12:53 PM
03performz

How is it more safe to stay in gear while stopping...that's nuts. You guys have been watching too many action movies. How often does a car come out of nowhere..head on that would require accelaration around it? Most often accidents are caused by "short" stops where the person following "rear-ends" someone.(not brokeback mtn. style either ) and which would be quicker to stop suddenly...depress just the brake or have to depress the clutch AND the brake?..common sense.

And if your in a FWD car its a no brainer..you can manuever around an object quicker without torque being applied to the front wheels(less torque steer).

By the way I have NO accidents, NO tickets and NO points on my license or insurance.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Old 03-24-2006, 01:02 PM
deviantC

Originally Posted by 03performz
How is it more safe to stay in gear while stopping...that's nuts. You guys have been watching too many action movies. How often does a car come out of nowhere..head on that would require accelaration around it? Most often accidents are caused by "short" stops where the person following "rear-ends" someone.(not brokeback mtn. style either ) and which would be quicker to stop suddenly...depress just the brake or have to depress the clutch AND the brake?..common sense.

And if your in a FWD car its a no brainer..you can manuever around an object quicker without torque being applied to the front wheels(less torque steer).

By the way I have NO accidents, NO tickets and NO points on my license or insurance.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
I think the point they are trying to make is based on the "every second counts" concept. Where you simply ride the clutch to a stop, or even a slow gradient engine brake, you will be able to save some time and possible brain farting, by not even messing with neutral, just in case you need to get back into the gas.

I usually won't hit neutral until I come to a complete stop, maybe 20-30ft from my stopping point, if I'm just slowly rolling up.

Last edited by deviantC; 03-24-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:18 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by arneltec
Of course you can do it but what is the point?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 03performz
How is it more safe to stay in gear while stopping
Simple. Because the car stops more quickly in gear than out of gear.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:30 PM
nsxster

Don't listen to the BS that it's not OK to coast to "N" and brake.

How do I know?

My daily driver is a manual. I coast to "N" and brake every time except when I'm going downhill.

My daily driver has 250,000 miles on it. The manual tranny/clutch has never been replaced, and it works 100% fine. I believe part of that is not downshifting all the time.

My brakes and rotors are just fine as well. I replace the brake pads at the normal intervals and have no problems. I can shift back into gear quicker than any automatic, so coasting in "N" is NOT a problem.

I do know how to heel/toe shift. I've taken track courses, and do it from time to time in my NSX. In fact at one of my Bondurant racing classes I spent a half day perfecting my heel/toe technique.

If you heel/toe and slip into a lower gear, good for you.

But if you coast to "N" and brake, there is NOTHING to worry about, unless you suck at driving manual.

Enjoy.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Transmissions are for "GO"

Clutches are for "GO"

Brakes are for "STOP"

What's hard to figure out about that?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:04 PM
deluzrider

Talking

I am a driving instructor and i know that the dmv wants to see downshifting in manual cars as well as semi trucks so the answer in the books says to downshift becuase driving in nuetral is dangerous
Old 03-24-2006, 02:16 PM
DIMERYDER

Default in case of an emergency

Originally Posted by deluzrider
downshift becuase driving in nuetral is dangerous
i agree, it's good to have the car in gear even when slowing down. if for some reason you need accelerate in an emergency, you'll know what gear the car should be in and be able to accelerate when needed.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:33 PM
nsxster

Originally Posted by DIMERYDER
i agree, it's good to have the car in gear even when slowing down. if for some reason you need accelerate in an emergency, you'll know what gear the car should be in and be able to accelerate when needed.
bzzzzzzzzz

wrong answer

Daily driving a manual, I can't think of any reasonable scenario where coasting in "N" is dangerous.

If I'm going down hill, or if I think I may need to speed up again for any reason, I leave it in gear. But I can't think of or know of anyone who has had an accident occur because the car was coasting in "N" and they couldn't get back in gear again.

On the track you would never coast, you always downshift, of course.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by davidv
Simple. Because the car stops more quickly in gear than out of gear.
No. Unless your brake booster is busted and needs more RPMs from the engine.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by nsxster
Daily driving a manual, I can't think of any reasonable scenario where coasting in "N" is dangerous.
Is THAT where your expertise in the matter comes from?

You're daily driving a manual?!?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:01 PM
DIMERYDER

bzzzzzzzzz

wrong answer
is there really a wrong answer? it's a manual, so i guess anyone can drive it however they want. i prefer to keep it in gear because response time is quicker and the car is always "ready." it just fits my driving style. even an automatic transmission is always in gear. i don't know of anyone having an accident while coasting on "N" also, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. one time i heard tires screaching behind me while i was slowing to a stop. i guess the driver 5 car lengths behind me wasn't paying attention to the stop and almost hit me. all i did was pump the gas quickly and moved to the side to avoid the car in front of me too, the speeding car from behind was still real close to hitting me. maybe if i reacted a split second slower there would have been a disaster.

Hey, drive it how you like it.

Last edited by DIMERYDER; 03-24-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:11 PM
6swhite350z

keeping it in neutral makes you have less control of the car.. and it handles poorly.. brake and downshift 1 gear.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:37 PM
nsxster

Originally Posted by Kolia
Is THAT where your expertise in the matter comes from?

You're daily driving a manual?!?
Um no Einstein... next time do your homework before you put your foot in your mouth.

I am into HPDE events. I have taken the Bondurant Grand Prix course, had the track all to myself with a Vette. I try to take a professional racing course once per year, in addition to trying to participating in track events.

I am very into tracking and racing. In fact I just finished a Jim Hall karting all day class yesterday.

I just returned from an indoor karting session just now. I have studied tracking and performance driving extensively, in preparation to buying and owning my highly modified track NSX.

Nice smug attitude you have there.

Last edited by nsxster; 03-24-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:40 PM
nsxster

Originally Posted by DIMERYDER
is there really a wrong answer? it's a manual, so i guess anyone can drive it however they want. i prefer to keep it in gear because response time is quicker and the car is always "ready." it just fits my driving style. even an automatic transmission is always in gear. i don't know of anyone having an accident while coasting on "N" also, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. one time i heard tires screaching behind me while i was slowing to a stop. i guess the driver 5 car lengths behind me wasn't paying attention to the stop and almost hit me. all i did was pump the gas quickly and moved to the side to avoid the car in front of me too, the speeding car from behind was still real close to hitting me. maybe if i reacted a split second slower there would have been a disaster.

Hey, drive it how you like it.
I suppose you're right. Everyone drives at different skill levels, so there is not right one-size-fits all answer.

For me, I have confidence that I can get back into gear quickly should there be a need. Others may not be as quick to react.

Good point.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Kolia

Um no Einstein... next time do your homework before you put your foot in your mouth.

I am into HPDE events. I have taken the Bondurant Grand Prix course, had the track all to myself with a Vette. I try to take a professional racing course once per year, in addition to trying to participating in track events.

I am very into tracking and racing. In fact I just finished a Jim Hall karting all day class yesterday.

I just returned from an indoor karting session just now. I have studied tracking and performance driving extensively, in preparation to buying and owning my highly modified track NSX.

Nice smug attitude you have there.
Read your posts and see how smug you were...

It's great you can afford these classes. Good for you. I'd spend 4k else where (like a week long trip to the Nurburgting), but that's me.

DIMERYDER summs it up very well. Sometime, we will need to get out of the way quick. I would probably have time to go for the clutch and shift in the right gear if I see someone comming up behind me. I'd rather just hit the gas and go. I'm lazy like that...

If nothing of the sort ever happenned to you with 250,000 miles of street driving it's probably because you didn't see it happen and were lucky enough the guy managed to stop/go around you.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:50 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep.

At least, if you read only part of what everybody said and only quotes the “Don’t coast in N” bits, that’s what we said…

We’re just saying (to people who asked our opinion on the subject), that it’s not a good practice to coast in neutral, for safety. We’re (well, me anyways) also saying it’s not a good practice to use engine braking instead of the brakes.

So, if you really what to take these advises to the letter, you can’t slow down at all.

Use your judgment…

^^^^^^ thats funny im not gonna slow down ever again..
Old 03-25-2006, 08:42 AM
nsxster

Read your posts and see how smug you were...

It's great you can afford these classes. Good for you. I'd spend 4k else where (like a week long trip to the Nurburgting), but that's me.

DIMERYDER summs it up very well. Sometime, we will need to get out of the way quick. I would probably have time to go for the clutch and shift in the right gear if I see someone comming up behind me. I'd rather just hit the gas and go. I'm lazy like that...

If nothing of the sort ever happenned to you with 250,000 miles of street driving it's probably because you didn't see it happen and were lucky enough the guy managed to stop/go around you.
Um, sure, whatever.

One thing I do know is that you do like to assume a lot about other people. You know what they say about assume...

Quick Reply: Down Shifting vs. Brake Pads