Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How cars should be sold

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 04:52 PM
sage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How cars should be sold

Well, I finally have it. I’ve had it for about a week and I can not begin to describe just how fantastic this car really is. It is everything I had hoped for and much, much more.

But as amazing as the car is, I am even more pleased with how easy this purchase has been. From the beginning, my hope was to make the car purchase as easy and transparent as possible. Even though the Z was a first year model, I knew from reading these forums that there are a number of good dealers around. My goal was to buy the Z from someone who was knowledgeable, fair, and completely honest throughout the whole process.

Since I have been reading this and other forums since the 1st day I ever heard about the new Z almost a year ago, I had the opportunity to learn from other’s experience and read the contributions of some of the dealers who occasionally posted here. It didn’t take me long to figure out that Bluefish (Dan Z) was consistently posting good and honest information. I made a decision then that I would probably buy through him when the time came. Towards the end of the preorder period, my wife stopped at a local dealership just to see what the deal was. The salesman she talked to was so clueless that it just cemented my decision to not bother shopping for a dealership locally.

I had been planning on waiting for the convertible, but in September, my wife and I decided that we really needed to get rid of our old car sooner. That Saturday night, I e-mailed Dan and told him that I was interested in possibly ordering a Z and asked him what the wait times were. He e-mailed me back at 11:30 that night. Here I was, an out of state “maybe” customer, and Dan took the time to write me back on a Saturday night. I knew at that moment that he was definitely the one.

After talking it over with my wife for a few days, I finally decided to order in early October. All I had to do was call Dan up, give him my CC # for the deposit, and it was done. I remember thinking how grateful I was that I didn’t have to worry about the dealer playing any games. Instead of the process being stressful, I concentrated on the things I wanted to know about the process and finding out what options I could choose after the car arrived. Instead of angst, I had fun talking to Dan about the car. What a difference it was from what most people experience when they are making what is probably the 2nd largest type of purchase they ever will make.

I didn’t do any paperwork with Dan. No order paperwork, no agreement about price. Not even a handshake. I just had Dan’s word and I knew that would be enough. The car was expected in February.

Almost two months went by and I still hadn’t heard anything from Nissan. I finally called Nissan North America just to make sure that they had the order. I got a call back from them within a few hours and they left me a message that they had the order and the delivery was scheduled for April. Although I was a little bummed that I would have to wait a couple of months longer, I figured I had waited for that long already, a couple more months wouldn’t kill me. I never called Dan about it either. From everyone else’s experience, I long ago learned that the Z’s arrive when they arrive.

So imagine my surprise when I get a phone call and e-mail from Dan early January telling me that my car had arrived. At 1st, I was a little confused (almost startled cause I hadn’t quite planned on needing all of my ducks in a row so soon). When I spoke with Dan, he explained that Nissan had alerted him at the end of December that my delivery date had been extended to April. On his own, Dan decided that wasn’t fair to me and he got on the phone trying to track down a car for me sooner. Now I ordered a performance model in Le Mans Sunset and know there haven’t been many built in that configuration. But Dan was able to find the exact model and color, except it had splash guards. Dan insisted on paying for those himself.

Everything from there was unbelievably easy. I let Dan arrange for my financing and got a call from the finance manager the next day. He was as much a pleasure to deal with as Dan was (now that really has to be a 1st). I gave him my CC# for the down payment and they FedExed the paperwork to me. My wife and I signed the paperwork and FedExed them back that day. Again, the process was almost as easy as buying a book at Amazon.

I had aftermarket leather put in, and Dan arranged for that as well. The car was supposed to be shipped down to me about a week after that was done. The shipper that Smithtown uses only comes down south only about once a week. Since I was going out of town for 4 days, I figured I would use the next week to get caught up at work before the car arrived. But when I called Dan as I got off the plane in Tucson to make sure the paperwork arrived and everything was in order, he told me that the son of the owner of the dealership had agreed to drive a trailer down form New York with my car that Monday night, so I would have my car a week sooner then expected.

That Tuesday, after flying back into Raleigh at midnight, the car was delivered to me at my workplace. I didn’t even have to miss 5 minutes of work. To complete the whole process, I think it took about 3 e-mails and 6 phone calls. I never even had to leave my house. All money was down via CC so I didn’t even have to mess with getting a check.

I think I have bragged about my car buying experience to people more then even the car itself. Being internet savvy since late 1994, I had long ago determined that buying my next car would not be an ordeal. If you know what to do and where to look, there is no reason why it has to be stressful. I had set up very high expectations, and my experiences with Dan Z and Smithtown Nissan exceeded my expectations at every turn. It’s how it always should be done.

Thank you Dan. For everything.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:02 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrific story, sage. Might you want to give "Dan" a little PR here by posting his name, addy, dealer, & location?
Old 01-28-2003, 05:15 PM
WayneTN

Congratulations on your new Performance Z! That's a great story. Sounds like things don't get much better than that. Honesty, integrity, reasonable price, low stress, delivered early: what a novel concept!

WayneTN
Old 01-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Stone Z

Thumbs up

I too, have nothing but good things to say about Dan thus far. I'm only in the initial stages of the ordering process, but Dan has been great up to this point.....even when I decided to change my mind about the color!

Too bad they're aren't more salesmen like Dan.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:50 PM
Gendo Ikari

Excellent story/post. This post alone will probably bring him even more customers (and deservedly so). Just curious...how much did you have to pay to have it shipped to you?
Old 01-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Importlife.com

Great story Sage. Congrats on the new Z and enjoy it.

I am not shocked at all with your experience. Smithtown Nissan and Dan Z (bluefish) are both 1st class.

I was lucky to have found them as well.

Matt
Old 01-28-2003, 06:38 PM
sage

Originally posted by Gendo Ikari
Excellent story/post. This post alone will probably bring him even more customers (and deservedly so). Just curious...how much did you have to pay to have it shipped to you?
$300 or $400, I can't remember.

That was really the only "extra" cost I incurrred by ordering from Dan in NY. But it was never about saving the last dime for me, it was much more important to make sure the process was comfortable and the people I dealt with were honest and up front. So it was worth it for me.

But I figure I may have broke even anyway. I took of zero work time for the entire process. That alone probably equaled what I payed to ship it.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:39 PM
sage

Originally posted by Dlovtsur
I too, have nothing but good things to say about Dan thus far. I'm only in the initial stages of the ordering process, but Dan has been great up to this point.....even when I decided to change my mind about the color!

Too bad they're aren't more salesmen like Dan.
Honestly, that's why I took the time to post. I hope more salesman realize that the best way to make money in the long run is by treating people faily and without the B$.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:44 PM
sage

Originally posted by The Rat's Z
Terrific story, sage. Might you want to give "Dan" a little PR here by posting his name, addy, dealer, & location?

Dan has been a member of this forum since almost the beginning. He posts as Bluefish.

But for the new folks:

Smithtown Nissan Of Long Island New York
www.smithtownnissan.com/smithtown/extra/z-experience/index.asp

His e-mail address and phone number are listed on the website.

For folks who haven't ordered and haven't yet found a dealer they are comfortable with, I encourage you to give him a call. Regardless of where you live, you might find it isn't that expensive to ship a car.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:02 AM
bluefish

Default Your Welcome

Sage, thanks so much. I'm proud of the job i do, and honestly enthused about the Z process with every customer it almost does not feel like a job...

After years in the Sale arena, i wanted to do something i was passionate about... i have found my calling.. Nissan ROCKS.

Thanks for your kind words, and contunied good luck with you Z

Old 01-29-2003, 08:39 AM
grayfox

Dan,

We wanna know which model and color you drive =)
Old 01-29-2003, 08:53 AM
bluefish

Default model and color

Well, i had the chance to take home a Redling Touring/ 6 speed this Winter... But the Winter Part got in the Way..

Too much snow for me, and the family needs come first..

delivering 42 Z's by December 31, 2002 gave me chance to drive more then most owners.. hehe

I have a wonderfull 1999 Nissan Maxima SE-Limited... pictures are at my site. I held her a little while longer till the 2004 Maxima debut...

I am getting a 2003/4 Nissan 350Z Ragtop in August ( please nissan make it early)... Untill i see the colors available, it is REDLINE forever....

Thanks again to everyone who help salesman like me maintain the highest level of customer satisfaction possible.

People do business with People..
Old 01-30-2003, 02:44 PM
archduke

Default Hey Big guy

Dan,
Long time no see, I'm glad to see there is another "generation" of satisfied customers @ Smithtown Nissan. I'm not surprised that they are singing your praises. I have done it since last January. So when is the next 350Z meet?
I have been trying to keep "Duke" clean and also out on the road when permissible.
Waiting for more info on the new Maxima for the missus.
Keep up the good work!
Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang down at the dealership.
Rich
Attached Thumbnails How cars should be sold-duke.jpg  
Old 01-30-2003, 03:27 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

Thumbs up

RICH LIVES.

got your perverted email and i like it.

dan ill be there saturday at 1015-1030 i left you a voice mail.

friend only wants coupe for seats basiclly so if it does cost signifigantly more then a z i think you can sell him.
he also would probally be your youngest customer 21!!

BUT NOT YOUR COOLEST
Attached Thumbnails How cars should be sold-fonz.jpg  
Old 01-30-2003, 03:36 PM
Stone Z

Talking

Originally posted by Tom-in-NY
he also would probally be your youngest customer 21!!

BUT NOT YOUR COOLEST
Yeah, I've already taken care of that!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:59 PM
bluefish

Default COOL

Thanks Tom.. see ya Saturday

Rich, i'll preview the Maxima this Month ( well Almost) Feb...

I'll get the info to you As soon as i get it..

Dan
Old 01-30-2003, 06:33 PM
archduke

Default Tom and Dan

Thanks for the compliment Tom, and Dan I look forward to any first hand info on the Maxima.
By the way Tom I know your the "Fonz" I just like using the pic.
It's better than some of the nasty ones I have seen like the attached one.
PS
This is not meant for you Tom just an illustration of what is nasty.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2003, 06:48 PM
BRONXWARRIOR

i like the mddle finger but the little kid doesent fit it just screems childess.

you can use my fonz cause your cool to
Attached Thumbnails How cars should be sold-fonz.jpg  
Old 01-30-2003, 08:17 PM
rouxeny

Nice thread. My dealership experience was not as painless.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:40 AM
bluefish

Default picture update

For thoses thinking about long distance shipping/delivery options.

We at Smithtown Nissan have developed a system of wrapping the car to insure protection and flawless deliveries..

below is a pic of a shrink wrapped ( yes like a boat) Z sent ot CA from NY.

Arrived today to a member of the forum.

Let me know if anyone is haveing trouble finding a 350Z, i can ship for free in most cases.

Quick Reply: How cars should be sold