Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nismo Suspension Import Problem, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 10:01 AM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismo Suspension Import Problem, HELP!

Hey guys, I need your help deciding if I am right or wrong in a certain matter. As many of you know, I ordered the Nismo S-Tune suspension about 2 weeks ago. I had it shipped out of Japan. I worked out a price and was told that was a "shipped to my door" price. I have never had anything imported from Japan before so I thought I just order and it would show. About a little over a week later I get a call from the shipping company telling them I needed to give them power of attorney so they can clear my items through customs. No biggie, although that once again slowed the process as I was told I should be able to get the suspension in about 1 week. Well, customs takes a few days and then I get a call from the shipping company to arrange final delivery. Problem is there is $120 duty due on the shipment. I was never informed by the seller that there would be any further taxes, or duty. Now, to be fair I did not specifically ask if there would be, but I did ask for a total price "shipped to my door." When I wrote the seller to complain, he wrote back that he was fully aware of the tax and that it wasn't his problem, I somehow should have known. I just found it funny that it was never mentioned in the first place even though the seller was obviously aware of it. I have been in sales my entire life and to me it's called full disclosure when a customer asks me for a total or out the door price and it's my obligation to let them know. I am already paying a premium to have the kit early before it is officially available here so another $120 is hard to swallow.

So here is my question; is it my fault for just being naive, or do you think the seller should have told me since he knew and I asked for a total shipped to my door price? Luckily I paid by CC and can easily tell my CC company to stop payment. What do you think?
Old 01-31-2003, 10:15 AM
valuetl

Sorry to hear you had a bad importing experience. Whoever you ordered your suspension from should have directed your shipping company to clear customs and charge your supplier with all customs duties. This trick they did is pretty low budget when you order something from japan they should quote you the costs for the parts + shipping customs duties. Sounds like he left everything to you. The power of attorney deal is crappy too. If the parts company considers this common practice they should be shot.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:37 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

no. most of the time when shipping from japan, the receiver pays the import taxes/duty for the items.

they should have declared it a gift so you wouldnt have to pay anything.

i dont know if you can stop payment on something thats already almost at the door. true you havent received it yet. but you've been waiting for it a long time... i know you want it bad. hehe.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:49 AM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by Chebosto
no. most of the time when shipping from japan, the receiver pays the import taxes/duty for the items.

they should have declared it a gift so you wouldnt have to pay anything.

i dont know if you can stop payment on something thats already almost at the door. true you havent received it yet. but you've been waiting for it a long time... i know you want it bad. hehe.
Yeah, I wanted it bad, and was willing to pay the premium for early adopting, but now as they say in the sales biz; "the ether is wearing off!!" I just now have a bad taste in my mouth about the entire deal.

That was at least the one smart thing I did, made sure to use a CC because of the recourse you have. They wanted a surcharge to use the CC but waived it. And you aboslutely can stop payment on nearly anything with a CC. You call the CC company. They send you some papers. You fill them out and problem solved. I had a problem with a local shop one time that ordered something for me on their advice and they assured me it would fit my vehicle. Well, I actually took it home and it didn't. They refused a refund because it was a special order. I sat the part on their counter and the guy actually picked it up, took it outside and put it on the sidewalk and said I had better take it because it was mine. I left it there, went home called the CC company and never paid. I wonder if they really left it out on the sidewalk??

Last edited by raceboy; 01-31-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:58 AM
ColecatZ

We've all discussed the duties you have to pay at customs here before. Sorry you didn't catch it in the other posts though. I know I mentioned it in the Nismo Fascia thread and Skiddzzle went into the whole process in his Nismo kit thread....

I picked up the docs from the broker and pushed the stuff through customs myself....saved about 40 bucks. Just an idea.

Good luck
Old 01-31-2003, 11:09 AM
raceboy
Banned

Well, I shouldn't be penalized because I didn't read a thread. I wonder if Skidazzle was informed there would be duty? Or maybe he knew it from past dealings, but I have never done it before.

I have Valuetl telling me he can get me the parts for less money and no duty charges and that I am getting screwed. He delivered to another member here without a hitch.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:55 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Sounds like you have a solution.

After reading this thread it sounds like the solution is obvious. Cancel the transaction with your CC and send in back on the next freighter! I'd make sure that you don't get caught up with any snafus with the importing process itself and/or end up being liable.

Too bad! I was really looking forward to your write-up on the S-kit. How'd things go at the Speedventures event at Laguna?
Old 01-31-2003, 12:01 PM
2003z

Steve, You need to check on that CC chargeback. If the company you dealt with is in Japan, I'm pretty sure there are no charge back rights. I've heard chargeback only works inside the US and not international.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:10 PM
apsilon

Who was the supplier if you don't mind my asking? Did you read the terms and conditions of sale. I've imported literally thousands of dollars worth of car parts from all over the world and I've yet to come across a supplier that doesn't say in the conditions that there may be duties and taxes levelled that are the responsibility of the buyer. If it was Japanparts I know they list this in their terms.

You asked for a to your door price and that's what you got. The supplier isn't charging you the duties and taxes, the government is.

I probably sound a bit harsh and I don't intend to.

Anyway it's only another $120. If you were down here that would be closer to $500 in taxes and duties.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:54 PM
rjsmit1

Originally posted by 2003z
Steve, You need to check on that CC chargeback. If the company you dealt with is in Japan, I'm pretty sure there are no charge back rights. I've heard chargeback only works inside the US and not international.
I agree. I believe that this process is based on a combination of some US legislation protecting consumers and liberal US retail return policies. To illustrate, I had trouble with a charge back to Europe- even after returning the goods. The retailer simply told the credit card company that they have a no return policy and that was that. Eventually the card company made a policy adjustment in my favor, (meaning that the card company ate the cost) and the retailer had a double win- sold the goods and got them back. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:17 PM
raceboy
Banned

At this point I am just going to pay the $120. It's not worth the fight or the hassle. As a business owner myself and having been in sales all my life I can tell you this is a horrible way of doing business. If I would have just been informed it would have been a non issue. When one of you asks for an out the door price wouldn't you think that would include all taxes?? It's probably no secret at this poing that it was Japanparts that I was dealing with. I really didn't have a chance to read their policies because this entire transaction was basically done on this board through PM's. The thing that really got me was I emailed them in a very civil manner after being told of the charges and the response I received was very hostile. Here is what I was told:

"I can't believe you can be so naive as to believe imports are Tax free, or you simply didn't check, and you most certainly didn't ask me, so who's responsible for that?"

Yes, I am guilty of being naive. I was naive to believe that I was dealing with a reputable business that would disclose all costs. They do this on a daily basis, I don't. I also truly believe the non disclosure was a purposeful oversight. Oh well, never again.

This started when I had complained in another thread that Japanparts didn't seem too interested in my business as I had been trying to contact them for a few weeks and get a price quote. They finally got back to me and just asked that when I do get my pieces that I state how the transaction went. Unfortunately for them they assumed it would go well and IMHO it hasn't. Just a poor experience from start to finish and I don't recommend them to anyone else. You are pretty much at their mercy.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:10 PM
japanparts

Default Reply to Steve Kaufman, RACEBOY

Steve,
I regret that there was misunderstanding over the Tax issue on your parts. However: you are suggesting there was conscious and deliberate misrepresentation on my part; and I dispute that 100%. I am completely upfront and transparent in all my dealings on this forum, by distance, there's no other way to be!
As Chebosto has posted; Tax is payable.
Had you asked me "Do I have to pay Tax USA side" I would have advised you the rate typically charged on Auto parts is 2.5%; that information, as well as our terms, as apsilon mentions in his post are on my sites FAQ's
You didn't ask. You also didn't call Customs, a Freight forwarder, or even consult this forum. "Gee if I didn't read a thread...."
you simply ASSUMED that that there was no Tax to pay
Somehow this is my fault.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. And: I shifted heaven and earth behind the scenes to get you that suspension as cheaply and quickly as possible, so cheaply in fact I asked, and you agreed, not to post the pricing as it was unrepeatable!
If you feel you have been unjustly overcharged by Customs (Commerce Dept.) your side, you have the right to appeal and I will provide you with invoicing for the parts if you want to take that course, to assist you.
Graham E Ware
Export Manager
http://www.japanparts.com
Tokyo
Old 01-31-2003, 06:22 PM
ksj

Well I ordered from Valuetl and DIDN'T have to deal with this. I agree that Steve should not have to know the intricacies associated with importing, or that it's naive to be unaware of import duties.

He asked for a price to his door and that's what should have been quoted. If there were "extras" such as import duties, etc. then it should have been noted in the quote so there was no misunderstanding. It's called setting expectations and is something every good sales organization does so they have happy customers.

Now if I just had those caps for my Nismo wheels...
Old 01-31-2003, 07:19 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I agree with Raceboy, unless you are in the business of bringing in parts from overseas you wont know about having to clear customs or pay tax, if you did you might already have a bond and a customs broker and parts will clear customs without a problem, as a company doing business with the US it should have been up to japanparts to advise of the additional costs to clear customs not assume that raceboy would have known. Value is different as they are doing business IN the US and are selling the parts already after clearing customs so there are no hidden charges, we will see as I ordered some stuff from them because of their all inclusive price. Sorry raceboy that experience sucked but hopefully the Nismo kit will be worth it.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:40 PM
raceboy
Banned

Graham's entire arguement is that I didn't ask. I am not the one in the business, how would I know to ask??? Imagine you go to a Dr. and he prescribes you some medicine, you take it and nearly die, you then go back to the Dr. and he tells you you were supposed to also take it with another medicine so you wouldn't almost die. "Why didn't you tell me about this other medicine Doc?" His reply; "you didn't ask."

I was never told I was going to have to deal with a broker, give power of attorney, pay any import fees or taxes. I was simply told the items would be shipped to my door. So much left out here it's scary.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't happen to any of you. I just paid the $120 and chalked it up to a lesson learned. Caveat Emptor right? People eventually get what they deserve.

Last edited by raceboy; 01-31-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:51 PM
apsilon

Firstly let me just say 2.5%! It's typically 15% - 20% here. You guys are lucky.

If you think you've got it bad I not only have to pay import duties and import taxes but sales tax as well. Sales tax for a sale that didn't take place here. Think about that.

Anyway as unpleasent as that surprise was for you I'm sure you're going to enjoy the new suspension.

raceboy, let me just that the behaviour of Japanparts is exactly what I would expect. As I said earlier I've imported from all over the world and not once has someone explicitly pointed out that I'd have to pay duties and taxes. It's always been there in the fine print though.

Last edited by apsilon; 01-31-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:01 PM
japanparts

Default Happy customers...

I've delivered parts to dozens of members of this forum with the only complaint to date being that I sometimes don't get back with quotes as quickly as I'd like!
Members that have been "scammed" (or otherwise) are welcome to post their experiences with Japanparts.com
I can't comment on your dealings with another company.
I don't believe there was any misrepresentation on my part with this order, tho' Steve has implied that, I feel wrongly.
You are clearly intelligent and articulate and entitled to your opinion.
Thanks for your constructive criticism
Can't you assist with NISMO hubcaps
Graham E Ware
Export Manager
http://www.japanparts.com
Tokyo
Old 01-31-2003, 08:12 PM
valuetl

Can't you assist with NISMO hubcaps
KSJ You'll have them next week finally. How does the S-Tune ride. I saw the pics. Looks great. Black LM-GT4 wheels coming out now!!
Old 01-31-2003, 08:25 PM
ksj

Originally posted by valuetl
KSJ You'll have them next week finally. How does the S-Tune ride. I saw the pics. Looks great. Black LM-GT4 wheels coming out now!!
Hey Mike,

I love the ride so far. I just had it aligned this evening so I'll get a chance to really put it to the test tomorrow. I would have had this all done some time ago but ended up in Copenhagen last week and was buried in work this week...

Anyway, I should be able to post daylight pics of a clean car and get a good ride in tomorrow, so I'll post an update then.

Looking forward to getting the caps to complete the look!
Old 01-31-2003, 08:33 PM
valuetl

Better promise me a ride if I'm in your neck of the woods.