Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can't ever get a Full Tank Reading

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 07:46 PM
240Zplus110

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I almost forgot one other fuel delivery problem that has shown up on some cars -- fuel regulator vibration/buzzing .. more of an annoyance.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah damn.... 240z... are you talking about that annoying vibration that sometimes happens when engine braking from high rps?m

Last edited by roast; 12-18-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:06 PM
240Zplus110

That is problem I had at high rev's on my 6MT G35 -- took me a while to find someone with same issue. Haven't investigated a fix yet...

Try a search on www.G35driver.com -- that is where I found it.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:20 PM
03zsmith25

My 04.5 enthusiast did it like 2 days ago...3/4 tank....its only the second time i have had to fill it up and the first time it went all the way full...hmm.....
Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 PM
roast

Originally Posted by 240Zplus110
That is problem I had at high rev's on my 6MT G35 -- took me a while to find someone with same issue. Haven't investigated a fix yet...
I've got the same issue on my 04.5 base Z. It hasn't presented itself as a serious problem, although I knew it wasn't normal.

You've got me interested, I'm going to look into it.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:09 PM
knightwing559

I agree with roast. His documentations and proof can be verified. I understand, and I am in the same boat as well. I have Nissan 350Z 06, and I have the same problem with filling up the gas. It shuts off the pump. Just because you work a Nissan 350Z car with 3 vehicles (which why you have 3 Nissan 350Z is beyond me) and you work at a dealership. It makes no sense of your credibility. Plus roast's documentations, his grammar, and his proof of documentation prove to be very credible. Now for the name calling and showing how you work at a Nissan is not very professional. It is good to know your stuff and show it and prove it that is the best policy. My saying, "Action speaks louder then words." And boy, roast proved his actions.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:59 AM
240Zplus110

Originally Posted by roast
I've got the same issue on my 04.5 base Z. It hasn't presented itself as a serious problem, although I knew it wasn't normal.

You've got me interested, I'm going to look into it.
G/L with the fixes!

I've been on the G35 boards for almost 3 years and have experienced and read alot of issues - some are real & solved and some are just subjective. As I am in process of trading my G for a Z, I hope that the knowledge I gained will help me and also fellow Z drivers... after all many of the components are the same -- except that the P/N's change
Old 04-05-2006, 08:10 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by knightwing559
I agree with roast. His documentations and proof can be verified. I understand, and I am in the same boat as well. I have Nissan 350Z 06, and I have the same problem with filling up the gas. It shuts off the pump. Just because you work a Nissan 350Z car with 3 vehicles (which why you have 3 Nissan 350Z is beyond me) and you work at a dealership. It makes no sense of your credibility. Plus roast's documentations, his grammar, and his proof of documentation prove to be very credible. Now for the name calling and showing how you work at a Nissan is not very professional. It is good to know your stuff and show it and prove it that is the best policy. My saying, "Action speaks louder then words." And boy, roast proved his actions.

the thing is im not too worried if you think my spelling or punctuation is great or not. the reason i have had 3 350z cars is simple. wrecked one and got another. traded for another. pretty simple actually.

now if you use a little reading comprehension you will possibly get into your head that we are not talking about a simple pump shutting off because of a bad shudder valve. we are talking about FILLING UP A CAR AND TOPPING IT OFF AND IT STILL SHOWING 3/4 A TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how hard is that to understand?

incorrect fuel level are consistant with bad sending units. not shudder valves.

his documentation doesnt mean dick! it is a simple tsb for the gas pump shutting off before the tank is full.

i think every z owner out there knows of this issue.

we are talking about FULL TANKS AND THE GAUGE ONLY SHOWING 3/4!!!!!

now obviously you can read as you are talking about grammar and puncuation. lets try understanding what we are reading now!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:13 AM
dlucke17

Hey called about that yesterday for the same problem and it was a little funny, cuz i have had the car for a little less then a year with no problems.. But, got the recall on the gas vent tube that they are now changing out and in the last two weeks after the change have not been able to fill up all the way... called Tues. and they told me that there IS a TSB... check it out...
Old 04-05-2006, 08:14 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he used to work for nissan, that explains everything about the attitude, just like our trusty dealerships hahah
Old 04-05-2006, 08:18 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by roast
You have done nothing but flaunt your own intolerance and stupidity.

That's interesting. You have located a problem before nissan has? I suppose that is possible, but highly unlikely.

I also understand you are "filling the car up". The tank is not taking a full tank because the valve that is designed to close and make the pump shut off malfunctions and closes too early. It makes you assume you got a full tank because the pump shuts off. And yes, if you continue to pump the gas it will overflow even though the tank is not full, because the valve has shut prematurely.

That's because you're not getting a completely full tank.

So now it's 18-19? I guess you changed your tune once you figured out the tank is 20 gallons.

You are exactly correct. And considering it's so obvious to understand, you sure are having difficulties grasping this simple concept.

Have you had the above TSB addressed on your car? Maybe once you have the above TSB addressed and your problem goes away, you can come back an apologize for being such an obnoxious arrogant ignorant *****.

hey dumbass do you even know what a shudder valve is? its not a valve that opens and closes. it is a device that disrupts fuel flow once the level gets to a certain spot.... if the gas is full to the top of the neck the tank is full. use you ****ing head for something other than a hat rack

oh and did you mis this post moron?

240Zplus110 If you dig back (doing the now famous search) you will quickly see that there have been four (4) distinct issues with the fuel filling system:

1. Level sending unit failure -- reads 3/4 to 7/8 full.. no more, no matter how much fuel you try to put in.
2. Check/flutter valve sticking -- prevents filling from time to time... nozzle keeps shutting off because of back-flow.
3. Fuel filler cover not opening -- some solenoid locks have had the plunger (latch) binding and sticking making it impossible to open (can be released from inside the trunk in an emergency) -- more of an G35 problem.
4. Cracked filler tube -- Now a Nissan/Infiniti recall

I've had problems 1. 3. and now 4.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:20 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by jinsei888
he used to work for nissan, that explains everything about the attitude, just like our trusty dealerships hahah

the attitude comes from people not reading and being able to distinguishing differant issues.

we are talking about 2 different problems and it is easy to see.

oh and i still work for nissan. not used too
Old 04-05-2006, 08:25 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonylittell
the attitude comes from people not reading and being able to distinguishing differant issues.

we are talking about 2 different problems and it is easy to see.

oh and i still work for nissan. not used too
lol PWN3D!!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:34 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by jinsei888
lol PWN3D!!!!

you are the biggest jackass ive ever seen post. oh yea ive told you that twice already in other threads!

if you want to know why im an ******* to certain people. because people like you for 1 thing if they read half of something then they act like they read it all and they asume they know whats going on. (lack of reading comprehension)

then there is the fact that so many 350z owners think nissan owes them something cause they own a z car.

so what! you spent 10k more than what a cavalier costs. so what! its a ****ing car! you arent special! go buy a bentley if you want someone to wipe your tears for you!

now why dont you go back and swing on some more nuts.

Last edited by John@Victory; 04-05-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:36 AM
maxpowers

FILLING UP A CAR AND TOPPING IT OFF AND IT STILL SHOWING 3/4 A TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude - I'm neither with nor against anybody in this thread.........but just out of curiosity, how can you be sure the tank is actually full?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:37 AM
240Zplus110

hey dumbass do you even know what a shudder valve is? its not a valve that opens and closes. it is a device that disrupts fuel flow once the level gets to a certain spot.... if the gas is full to the top of the neck the tank is full.
It's actually a SHUTTER valve, not shudder. As you said... it's purpose is to cause a small backflow when the tank is full, causing the fuel nozzle to shut off since the nozzles are designed to detect backflow (backpressure).

Regardless of what has been said, or how it has been said, the whole purpose of this board is to pass along our experiences in order to help our fellow Z owners.

What this thread has been reduced to is a shame.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Dude - I'm neither with nor against anybody in this thread.........but just out of curiosity, how can you be sure the tank is actually full?

when the gass is sitting in the top of the neck and you are looking at it.

well its deffinatly full. their isnt any kind of flap to stop you from seeing the level onec its in the neck
Old 04-05-2006, 09:20 AM
AgentHubcap

What exactly are you trying to gain by this thread? If you already know that the sending unit is bad, then why not have nissan fix it? There's no reason to bash people that are trying to help you, even if they mis-diagnose the problem. Try having some respect for others and you may see some respect from others.

E-thuggin' fo' lyfe!
Old 04-05-2006, 09:29 AM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by AgentHubcap
What exactly are you trying to gain by this thread? If you already know that the sending unit is bad, then why not have nissan fix it? There's no reason to bash people that are trying to help you, even if they mis-diagnose the problem. Try having some respect for others and you may see some respect from others.

E-thuggin' fo' lyfe!

im not trying to gain anything from this thread. if you pay closer attention you will see im not even the thread starter. i just stated i had the same problem and i knew what it was.
i havent had it repaired cause i really dont care about spending several hunderd dollars on something so minor. i simply stated that he was talking about a different problem. and i stated it very nicely actually. then he proceeded to tell me that i didnt know what i was talking about and he had "proof" he was talking about..... i could really care lees what you or anyone else for that matter feel about me.

have a nice day and ill see you at the next discussion. as im done with this one
Old 04-05-2006, 02:42 PM
roast

tony - two words for you - grow up.

I'm not wasting any more of my time with your childish antics.

Quick Reply: Can't ever get a Full Tank Reading