Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

ZAINO study now underway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 01:59 AM
Brad4rdHay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh, sory to let you down but that coat of Z1 stripped all of you previous coats of Z5. You should've gone directly from Z5-Z2
Old 07-06-2002, 02:00 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, is this guy parked next to a Z???
Attached Thumbnails ZAINO study now underway-parked-next-to-a-z-copy.jpg  
Old 07-06-2002, 02:03 AM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

Exclamation W.O.W> !!

Dr Bonz that looks amazing. Is it worth 12 hours of work? I’m leaning pretty far towards YES. The car looks gorgeous. The last test is the wear test. How long will it look that good. And finally how much less time does it take for follow up applications.

Great Car.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:11 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Brad: That was a typo that I fixed in the original post. Should have said Z-3 and not Z-1. Z-3 is the equivalent of Z-2 but for non-clear coated cars.

The follow up applications are supposedly not too bad. You wash with the Z-7, dry, and apply the Z-6 again. You can also use either the Z-2 (or in my case for this car the Z-3) or the Z-5 again with Z-6 between coats.

Here is the entire protocol the Zaino guy sent me LONG:

The process involved washing it with water and dawn dish soap to strip the existing wax, then claybar, wash again, z-6 mist polish, z-5 polish & swirl remover, then z-6, again. That process went 4 times over with z-6 then z-5 to really pack it on it layers. They say the more layers you stack on the better it looks. After the 4 coats of Z-5, i finished with 2 coats of Z-2 finish polish, and this stuff goes on and comes off so easy it's amazing. No swirls, nothing, and it looks so deep, its badass.

First off, here is the run down of materials needed:

From Zaino:
ZFX curing agent - helps the wax harden, will help polish dry in 30 minutes - 1 hour.
Z-18 Clay bar - Removes contaminates from surface
Z-6 Spray Polish/Cleaner
Z-7 Car Wash
Z-5 Show Car Polish (Z-5 is thicker than Z-2, and will help with filling scratches and swirl marks)
Z-2 Show Car Polish

From any other store:

Dawn dish soap (used to strip the wax already on the car)
100% cotton terry cloths
6-pack of Gerber CLOTH baby diapers (this is about the softest cloth you can find out there)
2 or 3 NEW empty spray bottles
Bucket
Viking white cotton wash mits

First off, mix up a bucket of water and Dawn dish washing soap. Dawn is excellent for stripping the wax that is on the car now. You MUST do this step to get rid of the existing wax. After a good hand washing, spray the car down and chamios it off. Next, pull the car in the shade or in the garage. You want the surface to remain cool so the liquid that gets on the car doesn't quickly dry leaving spots.

Take one of the spray bottles, mix one capful of the Z-7 car wash with water and mix it up. You will need one of the thick terry clothes and one of the diapers. You will also need the spray bottle. To really understand what this does, take this test before starting this step. Stick your hand in a plastic sandwich bag and feel across the top of the car, the bag will let you feel dirt and grime still stuck to the car that was under the old wax. Now, spray that same area of the car with the Z7/water mix and rub the clay bar on it, keep the surface very wet while claying the car. Rub over the area like you are drying it with the clay bar, circular motions a number of times in one area. Now, dry the liquid that is on the car with the terry cloth, and wipe clean with the diaper. Stick you hand in the bag and go over it again. Notice the difference? Completely smooth now. Repeat this for the entire surface of the car, doing only small areas at a time. The liquid on the car is holding all the dirt that the clay bar is taking off, so keep the area wet until you wipe it off with the cloth.

Next, its wash time again. Once again, you are washing with Dawn and water, to remove any thing that was broken loose with the clay bar but not picked up. After another good hand washing, chamios or blow dry the car. Blow drying with an electric leaf blower works very well if you have one (and don't use a gas one, it will get oil and **** on the car).

Now the car is free of contaminants and about as close to being in the condition it was when it rolled out of the paint booth the very first time. Z-6 the *****. 1 bottle of Z-6 should last for about 15 applications to the car. It's somewhat concentrated, so you can mix it 50/50 with water and not loose any of the cleaning power. Spray the Z-6 on a terry cloth (not on the car) and wipe clean, this stuff works wonders in small amounts, so don't over use!

After a Z-6 wipe down, mix up some Z-5 (use instructions on bottle). Use 5 drops of ZFX to every 1 oz of Z-5 you mix (comes with mixing bottles). 1 liquid ounce can wax my Camaro 2 times, smaller cars can probably get 3 coats per ounce. Apply using the applicator pads that come with the wax. If you think your applying it too thin, put it on even THINNER. Since this stuff stacks and is so concentrated, it can not be applied too thin. Do NOT use circular motions. Go up and down (full stroke from top to bottom) on the doors and venders or any vertical surface. On the hood, roof and decklid, apply in a back and forth motion (as in the direction of bumper to bumber, not wheel to wheel). Once wax is applied, leave set from 30 minutes to 1 hour till dry. actually, you can leave this stuff on for 30 days and it will be no more difficult to remove than it would be if you tried to take it off 2 hours after you put it on. Seriously guys, this is the most simple wax i have ever seen to apply and remove. Once dry (when it doesn't streak when you remove it), remove the wax using a clean, new cloth diaper.

Z-6 the entire car again. Spray the Z-6 on a terry cloth (not on the car) and wipe clean.

Repeat the previous 2 steps about 2-3 more times (only apply 3-4 coats of Z-5 to start). After each coat of Z-5, use the Z-6 spray to mist and clean the car. You will start to feel how smooth and glossy the paint is with each coat of Z-5, and the Z-6 just helps more!

After 3 or 4 coats of Z-5, its time to wash the car. Wash the car using Z-7 car wash concentrate and a hand mit. After that, chamios or blow dry the car again. Pull the car back in the shade or in the garage.

Apply Z-2 wax to the car now in the same manner as you did the Z-5. The Z-2 is a thinner wax and will give the best final shine. After the first coat of Z-2, use the Z-6 spray on the car again once the Z-2 is removed. Repeat 2 or 3 times as desired. After removing it and Z-6'ing it, you are finished.

For future wax jobs, all that is required is a coat of Z-5 if desired, or Z-2, depending on what you want. My routine will be 2 coats of Z-5 and coats of Z-2 every two weeks from here on out. This stuff just stacks, so the nice part is, after 35 or so coats and you get a surface scratch, you haven't scratched the paint, it's just the wax. You can use a few quick polish jobs with Z-5 and the scratch will be gone after about 5 coats (depending on the depth of the scratch). If the car get's a little dusty one day, just spray it off using Z-6 on a mit and it returns the "just waxed" look to it. The initial work is great, but the pay off is in the deep, smoothness of the paint, and the ease of all your future wax jobs.

If you have any questions, let me know!
msn- scclasen@hotmail.com
Post Extras:
sean also to be using the 100% cotton with the cotton symbol viking wash mitts when washing otherwise you will be defeating the purpose of the z5 since you will just be recreating the swirl marks if you use cheap shitty egyptian blend cotton,

make sure everythign had the cotton symbol!!

I CANNOT EMPASIZE THIS ENOUGH MAKE SURE EVERYTHING TOUCHING THAT PAINT IS 100% COTTON, NOT SOME SHITTY COTTON POLYESTER BLEND!!!

Zaino is great stuff...i've been using it for a couple years now. But, you really dont need to spend all that much on Zaino products.

You can get away with just some z1 and z5 (if your is black) along with some z6 and the z7 wash. You can use another clay product (Clay Magic for $9.99 works fine) and a different tire protectant. Zfx is nice but only if you want to put multiple coats on the same day.

Remember, technique is just as important as the product itself.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:29 AM
skimark

Smile

Dr Bonz - Nice work your Stealth looks great.

I about fell over when I read 12 hours time. Is the difference really worth that kind of time investment? I use Maguires paste and hand buff it and get great results - usually in about 3 hours.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:39 AM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

Thanks for the proven directions. How many hours did it take to type? Not including the drying time for the ink. j/k
It is what I asked for.
Old 07-06-2002, 03:01 AM
ZBarrister

Here's a question, can you use an orbital buffer on Zaino?
Old 07-06-2002, 03:15 AM
rouxeny

Wow, Bonz, that's amazing. The car looks incredible. Make sure you give it a good shine before you sell it.

Let's see...if it takes one attending 12 hours, it should take 4 interns and 3 residents about 6.
Old 07-06-2002, 03:16 AM
Brad4rdHay

yes you can use an orbital, but it will use more product.
Old 07-06-2002, 03:19 AM
JJH

I have had experience with Zaino before and myself and everyone that has tried it is very impressed with the product. Zaino has been pretty big in the F-body(camaro's and firebirds) community. I currently own a z28, and zaino is amazing. It leaves the paint as smooth as glass. A friend of mine has used it on his white z28, and all i can say is wow! Have you ever seen a white car that you can see yourself in the reflection? The product is great and i highly recommend it. I used to be a skeptic and would only use meguires until i tried this stuff.
Old 07-06-2002, 03:46 AM
joepublisher

Cool

Whoa! Super look! The work looks to me to be well worth it. Also, I'm impressed . . . no dings in your doors!
Old 07-06-2002, 05:29 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

OK Doc...I'm sold...especially loved the last pic..can picture you on your hands and knees on the driveway again positioning the model...hope your neighbors haven't been watching through their kitchen windows the past couple days
Old 07-06-2002, 06:21 AM
MSOsr

Doc: the car looks great! It's much shinier than those earlier pictures you posted.

I used Zaino today for the first time on my son's brand new RSX. It is black; we washed it with Dawn, one coat of Z2 with ZFX, coat of Z6, another coat of Z2 and a final coat of Z6. Looks like it will glow in the dark!
Old 07-06-2002, 07:01 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Thanks everyone. I was really impressed how nice this 10 year old car can look with Zaino. Just think what a brand new Z will look like. I think the Brickyard will be breathtaking with this stuff!

Roux: I like the idea of the interns and residents. We have about 3 interns that just started who will be gunning for the first year ortho spot next year. If I can just train them to do the steps correctly, I think I've got it made

Pat: I made absolutely sure NO ONE saw me doing that! I was even reluctant to let my wife see me. She did make fun of me several times today as I sweated away about 5 lbs. I had the 4th and the weekend off so I took today as a day off too for the 4-day weekend. She apparently thinks I could have made better use to the time....WOMEN!!! I asked her to pose for a bikini pic next to the car. As you can see from the posts, she refused. If I can get her to do it for the pics that I use when I put the Stealth up for sale though.........$$$$$$$$

Joepublisher: No dings in the doors but I do have several small chips that need to be filled in but overall, not bad for a ten year old car.

NiZZan: All I can say is thank goodness for "copy and paste".

Goodnight all, anyone know a good masseusse?
Attached Thumbnails ZAINO study now underway-tamiya-z-copy.jpg  
Old 07-06-2002, 07:11 AM
gammbino350z

geez your pics make me miss my dad's old white stealth. like the 350z that car was an incredible bang for the buck. it'd be nice if Dodge and Mitsu brought back the Stealth/3000GT combo.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:17 PM
#15Blade

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
... I like the idea of the interns and residents. We have about 3 interns that just started who will be gunning for the first year ortho spot next year. If I can just train them to do the steps correctly, I think I've got it made

DANGER Will Robinson, DANGER! I've yet to meet an intern who less than tripled my work, much less did what I asked right... LOL!

Sorry, old joke, but couldn't resist. Your car looks great - especially the reflected bricks in #4.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:24 PM
mdouvris

Default Wow!

doc, Thanks a lot! That shine is unreal. I love that one pic of the side that looks liquid. You sold me. Jmanz should give you a shirt for doing research for our beloved new Z. Im ordering today..Thanks again Doc. Enjoy the rest of the weekend
Old 07-06-2002, 06:40 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Next evil plot working perfectly......

Recieved free Valentine One in mail today. Pretty good reward for some nonsensical drivel posted on message board.

Free Zaino now on the way. Not bad for posting stolen Dodge Stealth pics pilfered from Stealthsrule.com.

Note to self, remember to write up glowing review of British Petroleum gas and don't forget to include BS about new "no-knock" additive. Also, remember to send Thank You card for $1000.00 gas coupon.

BWAAAAAH HAAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!!!
Old 07-07-2002, 05:47 AM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How durable is Zaino?
Old 07-07-2002, 05:57 AM
abz123

>>>Recieved free Valentine One in mail today. Pretty good reward for some nonsensical drivel posted on message board.

Free Zaino now on the way. Not bad for posting stolen Dodge Stealth pics pilfered from Stealthsrule.com. <<<

You are the evil doctor.
Bwhahahahahaha

I need to try that.