Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

break in

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imseksy
you changed the oil at 1500? i went by the maintenance guide that came with the car and changed the oil at 3750... anyone do the same?

Yes I'm, at 3,000 miles now and it still has the original factory oil in it. The book says the first change isn't due till 3,750 miles. so that's when I'm changing it.

I get sick of people saying oh you should have done it here or then or back when.

I'm just following the book.

3,750 miles seems like a long way to go without a "break in" type oil change but hey that's what it says.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:03 AM
stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad68
Yes I'm, at 3,000 miles now and it still has the original factory oil in it. The book says the first change isn't due till 3,750 miles. so that's when I'm changing it.

I get sick of people saying oh you should have done it here or then or back when.

I'm just following the book.

3,750 miles seems like a long way to go without a "break in" type oil change but hey that's what it says.
+1
All the cars I've bought new I've just followed the service intervals and it's served me well.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weee, another Break-in thread!

The book says it all.

The break-in is NOT for the engine only. It's also for your tranny...

Bring the revs up gradually (don't do 4000rpm until 1200miles and 7000rpm at 1201miles...)
Old 04-07-2006, 06:34 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikead_99
The book says 1200, but you know the manufacturer wants you to play it beyond safe to save them warranty costs for the rare occasion it doesn't break right in. I kept it below 4.5k for 600 miles, below 5K until 700 (oil changed at 650), and incremented up from there. I'm just under 1000 miles atm and just drive it like it wants to be driven. All you want to do during break-in is seat the rings and clean out the engine, it doesn't take that long. It is important to baby it at first, varying rpm's, and get the dirty oil out early, but that's it. I did the same thing with my '03 Maxima (another VQ variant) and it ran like a champ for me.
this man knows what hes talking about. i prefer to change the oil at 500, but his method is right on.

incremental breakin is important.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Kanyon71

So you all can seriously say that not 1 time before 1000 or 1200 or 1500 or what ever miles did you EVER let the RPM get above 4k-5k? Having owned few higher powered cars I must say I find it VERY hard to believe. I mean seriously don't beat the crap out of your car right off the bat or for that matter at any point and also do frequent oil changes and such. But dang I seriously hope that this car is engineered a little better then to not be able to take a little abuse at the start. As another poster here said if you think that car wasn't opened up hard before you take delivery well think again.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:50 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Manual.

Read it.
Know it.
Follow it.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:23 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual.

I dont Read it.
I dont care to Know it.
I dont want to Follow it.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:42 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Now i know where the old adage 'Ignorance is Bliss" originated! LOL!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:40 AM
allonblack

Originally Posted by davidv
Welcome. Please read the owners manual. Chock filled with valuable information.
Indeed, the owners manual has *very* detailed instructions for engine break in.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Manu

I've found that the subject of break-in is probably one of the most controversial. You can't advocate one method without implying that the other might compromise the car. Since most people take great care of their vehicle, debate gets heated quickly... It definitely beats motor oil threads.

I thrash personally
Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by Kanyon71
So you all can seriously say that not 1 time before 1000 or 1200 or 1500 or what ever miles did you EVER let the RPM get above 4k-5k? Having owned few higher powered cars I must say I find it VERY hard to believe. I mean seriously don't beat the crap out of your car right off the bat or for that matter at any point and also do frequent oil changes and such. But dang I seriously hope that this car is engineered a little better then to not be able to take a little abuse at the start. As another poster here said if you think that car wasn't opened up hard before you take delivery well think again.
Of course we all took it at least once up the rpm gauge, but then we all felt guilty. Slowly raising the rev limit over time probably does help as does avoiding constant speeds or a _lot_ of full throttle acceleration during the break in period. On the other hand, compression is _needed_ to seat the rings so you do need to drive the car under some _load_ during the break in period. If you don't believe this check out the instructions on breaking in an airplane engine! Thus you get the two camps, drive it like grandma vs drive it hard and it will be a better motor. The answer probably lies between the extremes.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
UCLAzzz

Originally Posted by sbcbaseball
This is a great question because every dealer says different things. My car has 1000 miles on it and its in the shop as we speak getting APS TT along with a oil change lol....

NICE!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Kanyon71

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
Of course we all took it at least once up the rpm gauge, but then we all felt guilty. Slowly raising the rev limit over time probably does help as does avoiding constant speeds or a _lot_ of full throttle acceleration during the break in period. On the other hand, compression is _needed_ to seat the rings so you do need to drive the car under some _load_ during the break in period. If you don't believe this check out the instructions on breaking in an airplane engine! Thus you get the two camps, drive it like grandma vs drive it hard and it will be a better motor. The answer probably lies between the extremes.
I agree it's most likely in the middle. If you beat constantly it's going to give you issue, but I also think that there is no need to completely baby this car from the start. This is meant to be a sports car and I would hope that there is better engineering built into then not going over 4000 RPM for 1200 miles suggests. I have rarely taken mine above 5k but when I do I doubt it does very little to the car. Now this is just my opinion from working on cars and building/rebuilding motors over the course of many years. I can tell you that when we where doing high horsepower motors for our older cars they where wailed on pretty heavy almost from the start