2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This Is Y The Elders Tell Teenagers Not To Get A Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006 | 11:39 AM
Z_freak

Amen brotha
Old 04-13-2006 | 12:41 PM
gmoney7770

You know i just don't understand racing. Going to the TRACK to get a personal best time or break a new time in the 1/4 i can understand, but racing? To endanger your life and the life of others, i could never live with myself if i were to ever harm someone by doing somethine so stupid. People try to race me all the time in my Z, i just look at them and have a few thoughts:

1. I like my Z the way it is, nice and clean and more importantly in my driveway, not at the impound with the cops.
2. I like my license where it is, in my wallet, not revoked.
3. I like my insurance the way it is, $800/Yr for full-coverage (cheap) and i'm only 24/yrs old.
4. As for pride...i have nothing to prove to anyone. If i race someone on the street, who are they to me? No one. If i race and win, oooh what do i get besides braggin rights to someone who probably has little significance in my life. I have pride in the smart decisions i make and that's the type of pride that should count.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be a jerk but i just don't think it's the smartest thing to do..besides if i have to race someone to be cool, then i'm fine not....i totally agree with sry110.....
Old 04-13-2006 | 12:49 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?
Premier Member

LOL @ teenagers.

*flame suit on*

Old 04-13-2006 | 03:11 PM
lex350

Originally Posted by lw3
When Fast and the furious 3 come out you will probably see stories like this every week because idoits will want to show off "their tyte drifting skills on public roads"
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 04-13-2006 | 03:43 PM
Z_freak

Originally Posted by gmoney7770
You know i just don't understand racing. Going to the TRACK to get a personal best time or break a new time in the 1/4 i can understand, but racing? To endanger your life and the life of others, i could never live with myself if i were to ever harm someone by doing somethine so stupid. People try to race me all the time in my Z, i just look at them and have a few thoughts:

1. I like my Z the way it is, nice and clean and more importantly in my driveway, not at the impound with the cops.
2. I like my license where it is, in my wallet, not revoked.
3. I like my insurance the way it is, $800/Yr for full-coverage (cheap) and i'm only 24/yrs old.
4. As for pride...i have nothing to prove to anyone. If i race someone on the street, who are they to me? No one. If i race and win, oooh what do i get besides braggin rights to someone who probably has little significance in my life. I have pride in the smart decisions i make and that's the type of pride that should count.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be a jerk but i just don't think it's the smartest thing to do..besides if i have to race someone to be cool, then i'm fine not....i totally agree with sry110.....

need anybody say anymore
Old 04-13-2006 | 09:04 PM
Fletch69z

People just don't understand that they have 3K pounds of metal hurtling ahead of them. Pay attention to what is going on in front of you.
Old 04-14-2006 | 09:09 AM
Titan0385

Originally Posted by Kanyon71
I will NEVER understand why people feel the need to race in the middle of the day on croweded urban streets. Flame me all you want but thats just stupid. Screw endangering your own life what about endangering the lives of people who had nothing to do with the STUPID thing you are doing. I have no issues with racing but there is a time and a place to do it.

AMEN. I left work yesterday for some lunch and some stupid girl in an Evo rev'd up on me.. I live in San Diego, it was around 11AM, on one of the busiest shopping area around town.. I am guilty of street racing every once in a while, but its later at night and there is NOBODY around.. If i f' up and wreck my car, its me being stupid but at least I will not hurt anybody else. Street racing is stupid but everybody gives in at least once.. if you do, be safe.
Old 04-14-2006 | 05:42 PM
tmb

Originally Posted by skeleton jack
Well, older people are involved in a lot of dwi deaths.
Please explain what relationship that baseless,unfounded statistic has to do with street racing?
Old 04-14-2006 | 06:11 PM
ZlleH

I think he is giving an example of generilzation. The original poster implied by his title that teenagers should not have a sports car because some teenagers street race. So I'm guessing skeleton jack was trying to generalize that if old people arre involved in a lot of DWI, they shouldn't have a sports car either.

I think he was just trying to make a point in how you shouldn't generalize and punish someone because other people in their age group does something stupid.

Originally Posted by tmb
Please explain what relationship that baseless,unfounded statistic has to do with street racing?
Old 04-15-2006 | 02:00 AM
DrChristianTroy

Man that must be so hard for those parents who showed up and their son is dead because he was showin off and didn't know what he was doing.

I'm 18 and I never try to race people, if I did it would be at a track. I can see driving fast on the freeway if there isn't much traffic or no traffic out.

That must be the most horrible feeling in the world to show up and see your son dead in a car. I feel bad for those parent.

It's sad some kids don't ever learn to listen to their parents like me. I think it just so corny how other dudes try and race their ****ty cars and then don't know what they are doing. It's like they think they are cool if they do **** they saw in a movie. Fast in the Furious made so many kids out there think they are super racers or something.
Old 04-15-2006 | 04:59 AM
tmb

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I think he is giving an example of generilzation. The original poster implied by his title that teenagers should not have a sports car because some teenagers street race. So I'm guessing skeleton jack was trying to generalize that if old people arre involved in a lot of DWI, they shouldn't have a sports car either.

I think he was just trying to make a point in how you shouldn't generalize and punish someone because other people in their age group does something stupid.

It is also generalizations like he did that continue to leave the wrong impressions with people so you hear things like "My Son/daughter would never do that" and he proved my point.

Here are the actual fact's about DWI drivers and their age taken from a Driver while mpaired website that I help to support financially:

Although persons between 16 and 24 years old comprise only 20% of the total licensed population, and 20% of the total vehicle miles traveled in this country by all licensed drivers, they cause 42 percent of all fatal atcohol related crashes. "

I knew this fact before I pposted above hence my tone of annoyance when I wrote the first reply.

I am so against DWI that the very mention of the subject gets me riled up and unfortuantely, the poster used the wrong vehicle to make his point.
I have a singlular VERY personal reason for hating drinking drivers as well as the fact that the most preventable death on earth still exists.

We should follow Germanys lead in all things relatd to a drivers license.
I lived in Germany for 4 months a few years ago for an extended business trip and got to know the family I was staying with and what their 18 year old son was going though to get a license - WOW.

Look it up sometime and I think you will see that the fellow who died in this article would never have had done so had we the same rules as Germany.

To tickle the curiosity of folks reading this thread to go and really learn the German system, here are a few tidbits:
1)The minimum age to drive in Germany is 18
2) You must leave your doors unlocked while driving to facilitate rescue in an accident.
3) It is illegal to drive with your parking lights only; you must use your headlights at night and during inclement weather.
4)Motorcyclists must wear helmets and drive with the headlight on at all times.
5) For most MOving Traffic Offenses, The police are allowed to collect fines on the spot. If you don't have enough money when the police gives you the ticket, he can impound your car. It is totally up to him.
a favorite of mine because this quickly eliminates the smart a**ses from the road and teaches the driver to be respectful of the police

6) Another Favorite: Use of mobile phones is prohibited while your vehicle is in operation

7) Drinking&Driving: I write to my congressman every year to try and get these DWI laws passed and someday it will happen.
From another website dedicated to Drunking Driving in Germany:
The penalties for driving under the influence in Germany are harsh. Severe penalties are assessed to first time offenders, including the loss of your license. Penalties for drunk driving now start with a blood alcohol limit as low as 0.03. If you have an accident, the courts may determine whether alcohol was a factor even if your blood alcohol content is below that limit.

The son that I mentioned told me that it costs MANY thousands of dollars to get a license because of all the required training one must get.
MY interpretstion of the way he said this: They have not dumbed down the tests to the lowest common denominator like the US does and he is now on his second year of attempting to get his license because he has failed the test 2 times.

I forget now exactly what he had told me on this part and we have something similar but they are much stricter.
They have rules about time between tests as well as number of failures allowed before you have to start the entire process over.

He told me of a friend who is soon to be 21 and still does not have his license due to all that and this fellow is NOT stupid.

I often wonder how long it would have taken me to get my license if we had adoptrd the German system
Old 04-15-2006 | 06:34 AM
ZlleH

Just to point out in my post, I wasn't for or against his claim DWI claims. I just pointed out what he was trying to do with his true/false claims.

That said, DWI is very avoidable. Here in Canada, we are close to the laws of Germany. At least Ontario, Canada.

1. The legal age for driving is 16, BUT their are stages to getting your license. First stage is G1, you can only drive with a person with a full 4 year license, you can't drive between midnight and 5:00am, 0 blood alcohol level, and no highway driving. You then go for a test(must drive with G1 license for a year before you can do the test, reduced to 8 months if you get professionally trained) and if you pass, you go to stage 2. Stage 2 is G2, you can now drive without a valid license passenger, you can dry at night, you can drive on the highway, but maintain a blood alcohol level of zero. Then you go for a second test. If you pass that, you then get a valid license.

2. I don't know why this is a good idea in Germany, but other places, there are lots of car jackings and not the best policy to put out there. Also, the police up here have this stick that breaks glass window very easily. I work for a police agency and have seen their training session on this. Also, if you get into a car accident, most likely your door will not be able to open the normal way anyways.

3. In Canada, every car must have "Day running lights". it's basically a light that goes on as soon as you start your car. If you import an American car, you have to get a DRL installed before you can get a permit for it.

4. I know some states allow you to where no helmet, but up here, you must were a helmet when you are on a motorcycle, no buts about it. It is so out of place here to not wear a helmet that if you do, you might as well put a huge sign on you saying "Please pull me over with a fine"

5. I disagree with collecting finds on the spot, this could lead easily to corruption and mishandling. This practice is often used in third world country and the people suffer for it.

6. I believe a cell phone ban is in the works. There needs to be more "tragedies" with cell phone before there is a big outcry for the ban.

Originally Posted by tmb
It is also generalizations like he did that continue to leave the wrong impressions with people so you hear things like "My Son/daughter would never do that" and he proved my point.

Here are the actual fact's about DWI drivers and their age taken from a Driver while mpaired website that I help to support financially:

Although persons between 16 and 24 years old comprise only 20% of the total licensed population, and 20% of the total vehicle miles traveled in this country by all licensed drivers, they cause 42 percent of all fatal atcohol related crashes. "

I knew this fact before I pposted above hence my tone of annoyance when I wrote the first reply.

I am so against DWI that the very mention of the subject gets me riled up and unfortuantely, the poster used the wrong vehicle to make his point.
I have a singlular VERY personal reason for hating drinking drivers as well as the fact that the most preventable death on earth still exists.

We should follow Germanys lead in all things relatd to a drivers license.
I lived in Germany for 4 months a few years ago for an extended business trip and got to know the family I was staying with and what their 18 year old son was going though to get a license - WOW.

Look it up sometime and I think you will see that the fellow who died in this article would never have had done so had we the same rules as Germany.

To tickle the curiosity of folks reading this thread to go and really learn the German system, here are a few tidbits:
1)The minimum age to drive in Germany is 18
2) You must leave your doors unlocked while driving to facilitate rescue in an accident.
3) It is illegal to drive with your parking lights only; you must use your headlights at night and during inclement weather.
4)Motorcyclists must wear helmets and drive with the headlight on at all times.
5) For most MOving Traffic Offenses, The police are allowed to collect fines on the spot. If you don't have enough money when the police gives you the ticket, he can impound your car. It is totally up to him.
a favorite of mine because this quickly eliminates the smart a**ses from the road and teaches the driver to be respectful of the police

6) Another Favorite: Use of mobile phones is prohibited while your vehicle is in operation

7) Drinking&Driving: I write to my congressman every year to try and get these DWI laws passed and someday it will happen.
From another website dedicated to Drunking Driving in Germany:
The penalties for driving under the influence in Germany are harsh. Severe penalties are assessed to first time offenders, including the loss of your license. Penalties for drunk driving now start with a blood alcohol limit as low as 0.03. If you have an accident, the courts may determine whether alcohol was a factor even if your blood alcohol content is below that limit.

The son that I mentioned told me that it costs MANY thousands of dollars to get a license because of all the required training one must get.
MY interpretstion of the way he said this: They have not dumbed down the tests to the lowest common denominator like the US does and he is now on his second year of attempting to get his license because he has failed the test 2 times.

I forget now exactly what he had told me on this part and we have something similar but they are much stricter.
They have rules about time between tests as well as number of failures allowed before you have to start the entire process over.

He told me of a friend who is soon to be 21 and still does not have his license due to all that and this fellow is NOT stupid.

I often wonder how long it would have taken me to get my license if we had adoptrd the German system
Old 04-15-2006 | 09:02 PM
350z_2NR

Originally Posted by danvain
This is a prime example of a young person being offended. If the description doesn't fit you, "young street racer", then why on earth would you be offended? Grow up and stop trying to defend the statistically proven most dangerous age group on the road.

Carefully read my post. I never said i was offended, i just thought it was hypocritical of some ppl to flame all young people when they did the exact same thing.
Old 04-16-2006 | 01:12 PM
zero0 2 sixty

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hedotwo
I'm likely one of the older ones on the boards and I can say I still rise to a stoplight challenge if called upon. I've always had that in me, beginning with my 4-speed 65' F-85 in high school that brought me more than one encounter with the law and I can also tell you that owning a Z does nothing to discourage this old guy as he ages either The key is that the older I've gotten the less risk I'm willing to take. It's well documented that your own sense of mortality (and indirectly that of others) increases with age Add to the risk of accident the risk of tickets and the baggage they can force you to carry for 3-5 years. Bottom line is enjoy the ***** you carry when you're young, but try and think of the consequences before you accept a challenge that really doesn't feel right, in terms of risk.

Know when to just say no

Rich

I totally agree and remember we are all human...
Old 04-16-2006 | 01:29 PM
NISMO_GUY2003

Racers have no age limit.
I was at a local speed shop waiting to have a turbo timer installed in my car and an older, white-haired gentleman (50-55yrs old) pulls up in a nice black GTO. He's lugging a nitrous bottle looking to get it refilled. Said he had a supercharger in his GTO and that his car was pushing close to 600hp.

Definitely not his son's car!!
Old 04-16-2006 | 06:18 PM
drivenCSZ

im fairly young at 22, and have had my Z since i was 18 and at the slightest hint of wanting to really push it on the street my conscious kicks in and says

"hey what the hell are you thinking, you don't have the money to pay for a ticket and an insurance hike or accident"...

not the most ethical reason to not street race, but it keeps me in-line. I dont understand how kids do that crap without worrying about the financial cost it could incur. parents paying insurance maybe? i dont know.
Old 04-17-2006 | 10:31 PM
steela2110

Ur a moron

Originally Posted by z33chillin
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

People street racing is why when teenagers coming in to ask about getting a z they get flamed. Almost 90% of the street racing accidents are caused by people between 16-25yrs old.

TAKE IT TO THE TRACK
Old 04-18-2006 | 07:20 AM
skeleton jack

thx ZlleH. dont get mad tmb. all age groups with different cars can die driving wreckless. i just thought it was funny to see this thread titled, "why elders tell teens not to get a Z" because of a racing crash in florida. pfft. germany
Old 04-18-2006 | 09:50 AM
NA350Z

Why the hell would you want to race on Semoran Blvd. . . and at 3 PM in the afternoon at that. Street racing is very dangerous as it is, FL isnt like it used to be 10-15 years ago. The streets used to be dead during the day then, now you cant even go 15 miles without taking an hour to get from A-B in Central FL during the day. 3PM is about the busiest time in the afternoon, that driver was wreckless and irresponsible and ended up paying ultimately with his life, sad and tragic, yes, and hopefully it serves as an example to others. Trust me Im 23, and yea I open up my car well sometimes, you have to, the car was built for it, hell I even race at 3AM on an open freeway with friends sometimes for brief sprints to see how our vehicles changed after mods. I understand racing is dangerous, but endangering others is inconsiderate.
Old 04-18-2006 | 10:56 AM
cfdemarco

Kids just need to stop and think about what they're doing every once in a while.

From age 18-24 I've owned two LS1 Trans Ams and a 350Z and I have never even been pulled over. Kids just need to be more responsible and realize that a 300HP car is not a racecar.

Quick Reply: This Is Y The Elders Tell Teenagers Not To Get A Z