Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z or STI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 PM
FairladyZ34

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well in my opinion trying to compare an STI and a Z is like trying to compare apples and oranges, they only have one thing in common they both have wheels. You really cant put them side by side. It all depends on your wants and needs. If u want somethin that looks good and is decently quick and u dont care about passenger space go with the Z. On the other hand if u like the whole really fast family car (nothing against the STi but thats what it is) and AWD is always a plus go with it. You cant ask people what they think you will always get a different answer you have to go try them out for yourself. Good Luck
Old 04-20-2006, 06:57 PM
ckny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a deposit down and actually got called to pick up an sti in the first few months of release. i bailed on it and chose a z instead. for me, i was happy to sacrifice the monster performance of the sti for just a damn nice car in the z. like someone said, the z isn't exactly slow. it's certainly fast enough for me. don't get me wrong, the sti is a beast to drive but it's damn ugly and to me the interior screams $15k econo box (guages and seats aside of course). the z just was a much nicer car for me. on top of that, although the sti would be "cool" with the gran turismo set and the 16 yr old boys, i wasn't sure i'd want to be driving that car when i was 27+ yrs old. not as my only car anyway.

basically - do whatever you think you'll be happier with.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Suvlaki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyhenwee
if i lived in fl...i'd say either a s2k or convert 350z gotta have the top down on those warm miami days
Yeah... "warm" miami days huh? It's only April and its 90 degrees outside... By July this year, its going to hit triple digits. Even if my Z was a convert, I'd still be rolling w/ the top up in the summer. Winter, for sure. Summer, no thanx. Lol, God I love and hate Florida at the same time!

I am 20, jus' got my Z a couple months ago. I had a choice between a whole lotta' cars. S2k, Z, STi, Evo, Mustang GT, RX-8, to name a few. I chose a Z, and never looked back, nor have I ever regretted it.
The Z is a heavy car, so it doesn't perform quite as well as some other similarly priced cars out there, I think we can all agree on that. But a car is not all about performance. The Z has looks and flair that no other sports car out there in the price range has, IMO. You can say, "My STi can beat ur Z!" all u want while I drive off w/ the blonde in my passenger seat while you have the little boy in urs. Like a previous post said, you can't always upgrade the looks and flair of a car, but u can always upgrade the performance. Get the Z, u wont regret how u feel in it... and if ur **** about max performance for ur buck, save some money and mod it a bit.. trust me it will be all the performance u need for the street.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:29 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Suvlaki.....well said...i agree 100%.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Blue Komodo

The 2005 STI had significant upgrades, so get the '05 if your going used. The Z is a great car. The build quality and attention to detail is better than Subaru's (I've had both). It's true that girls pay more attention to the Z, especialy the roadster. If you need a car to pick up, care more about looks, or want a good compromise of looks and performance, get the Z. If you've got game, care more about performance or practicality, or want to mod the car to kill exotics, get the STI. A point of interest; once in the passanger seat, girls were always more impressed with the roller coaster sensation from the STI, than they were with how many heads the Z turned.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 PM
ZZ33bOI

yeah S2K!!!!!! i wish i have a s2k!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Blue_Streek

GET AN 05 STi. the 04s have aweaker block and cannot take the abuse of really high power mods. plus they have a better susp and a wider wheel. i had an 04 STi, i loved it but it was having a turbo that loved to eat oil. plus AWD Donuts rule!!!

tommy
Old 04-20-2006, 08:08 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

STI is fine as long as you don't mind having to walk backwards to get to your car in order not to offend your eyes & soul!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:47 PM
roast

I don't really dig the AWD box on wheels thing, that's why I got a Z, but being a car enthusiast there are things about them I can appreciate.

Research facts on the cars you are considering. Go check them out in person. Test drive. Sleep on it.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Cannysage

sti , evo
Old 04-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sti, being able hang dry your laundry on the wing is such a nice option.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Cannysage

Originally Posted by Nexx
sti, being able hang dry your laundry on the wing is such a nice option.
plus you can take a nap on the bench wing like a bum, while holding a brown bagged wine bottle.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:34 AM
Manifest

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
STI is fine as long as you don't mind having to walk backwards to get to your car in order not to offend your eyes & soul!
hahah... well played.

neways... my friend has an STi...i've got an '05 Z... as everyone else said...you have to decide what's important to you... although you'll hear everyone saying "street racing is dumb..." etc etc... you have to decide how important speed really is to you. There's bound to be numerous times...especially in areas with alot of nice cars...where people are gonna pull up on side of you with the Z and you're not gonna be able to kill them all when you're stock. My friend's found, with an STi, alot less people even try to run em... they know better. The Z is obviously slower...but it's still quick. I honestly didn't wanna subject myself to the fugly looks of the STi... the Z's got great performance (enough for me for now) and looks like one of the best cars on the road, imo.

Decide if brutal speed and semi-fugly looks is ok. Or if you want something SEK-Z with some fairly good speed behind it. Coming from an accord... u might find the Z fast enough for you.

Last edited by Manifest; 04-21-2006 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:36 AM
novaz

Get the Z.

(Simple answer for any and all posters/trolls looking to see which car is preferred on our Z forum)
Old 04-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Fear's Track 06

i dont fit in s2000
Old 04-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by RadioManJ350Z33
Sti is cheapy inside and not comfortable. They both have pros and cons. I think the Z has more class.
The STI is MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE than the Z.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Suvlaki

Not trying to knock on any cars or anythin... they all have pros and cons... I jus' think the STi and the Evo are so ugly and cheap, I dont' care if they're fast... BUT I'm reading this thread and most everyone is saying get the STi or Evo... why have you guys bought Zs when u can buy the STi or Evo for the same price, since you like the STi or Evos so much better?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 AM
SilverJDMCoupe

I came from an 05 STi, if you do get the STi, get ready for tons of rattles.....and much much higher insurance by the way. Please dont but anything based on how fast it is and how fast it can be made, anything could be made faster, and more and more cars are comming to the market now with 300+hp standard out the door!! I moved to the G from the STi and couldn't be happier.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:56 AM
psucaptkickass

Originally Posted by RadioManJ350Z33
Sti is cheapy inside and not comfortable. They both have pros and cons. I think the Z has more class.
Right, tons of class staring at a gauge console of molded plastic.

STi FTW. It has more go, and you'll have an easier time modding it.

Quick Reply: 350z or STI?