Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z or STI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:05 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suvlaki
Not trying to knock on any cars or anythin... they all have pros and cons... I jus' think the STi and the Evo are so ugly and cheap, I dont' care if they're fast... BUT I'm reading this thread and most everyone is saying get the STi or Evo... why have you guys bought Zs when u can buy the STi or Evo for the same price, since you like the STi or Evos so much better?

Just because we recommend someone to get an EVo or STi doesn't mean we LIKE them better.

I figure if someone can even consider those cars or SEE themselves in one then why not? Too many damn Z's on the road anyway so lets maintain variety. We don't have to tell the whole world to buy Z's...it's not for everyone. For me, it was no question.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Blue Komodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverJDMCoupe
I came from an 05 STi, if you do get the STi, get ready for tons of rattles.....and much much higher insurance by the way. Please dont but anything based on how fast it is and how fast it can be made, anything could be made faster, and more and more cars are comming to the market now with 300+hp standard out the door!! I moved to the G from the STi and couldn't be happier.
It was the opposite for me. The STI was cheaper on Insurance. Maybe insurance on the Roadster is more than the hatch.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:20 PM
garrettjj

The 350z interior is really not better than the STI. Both are plain and have lots of plastic. The deisgn of the interior is important as well and the STI is user friendly and comfortable.

I'm not going to say the STI is a beautiful car, because it's not. It's purposeful and agressive. But is certainly more than an "AWD Box" as someome put it(Good for a few laughs though).

The Z in my opinion is not the best looking car either. The headlights and taillights leave something to be desired and the front end on the STI looks better to me(04-05). I do like the way the Z looks from the rear better(flared out with dual exhausts) and from the side it's a toss up.

I test drove a Z and came away feeling it was a great overall car. For me I just wanted something with a little more performance(AWD/Turbo) and room(4-doors) as well as better modability.

Last edited by garrettjj; 04-21-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Osix350Z
Banned

z
Old 04-21-2006, 03:07 PM
ckny

Originally Posted by garrettjj
The 350z interior is really not better than the STI. Both are plain and have lots of plastic. The deisgn of the interior is important as well and the STI is user friendly and comfortable.

I'm not going to say the STI is a beautiful car, because it's not. It's purposeful and agressive. But is certainly more than an "AWD Box" as someome put it(Good for a few laughs though).

The Z in my opinion is not the best looking car either. The headlights and taillights leave something to be desired and the front end on the STI looks better to me(04-05). I do like the way the Z looks from the rear better(flared out with dual exhausts) and from the side it's a toss up.

I test drove a Z and came away feeling it was a great overall car. For me I just wanted something with a little more performance(AWD/Turbo) and room(4-doors) as well as better modability.
I'm all for everyone having their own opinion, I really am... but you're smoking something that I want. The STi is NOT a looker and although the materials aren't super in the z the interior is 100x better looking than the "rental car - civic wanna be" dash of the suby (moreso the evo).
Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Starchecker

My opinion. Get the Z hands down, especially the roadster. For $10K you can Twin turbo the Z and blow a stock STI out of the water. All the money in the world won't make the STI look hot!

I say all that after seriously considering the two. I was leaning very heavily toward the STI since I live in Denver. There was something very attractive about an AWD 4 door that had all the functionality of an SUV, and the performance of an exotic.

However it all came down to looks and I went with the Z, and I literally get chills everytime I think I almost bought the STI.

If I ever get married again and have kids, then I will get the STI as a race-car grocery getter, but until then it's Z all the way! I am also just as relieved I spent the extra money on the convertible. It's at least 80% of the thrill.

Besides at sea level, the performance difference between a stock Z and an STI isn't that great(unless you are starting from a dead stop), up in Denver we lose 17% of the stock power on the Z, the STI loses very little with the Turbo's, so the difference in performance is huge at 6,000', even with that I am still glad I got the Z.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:31 PM
crazy04350z

my opinion is THE 350Z man no question about it im 19 going to 20 in August went to test drove the WRX STi and there is nothing to it but power and taking better turns and its NOT WORTH 35K (in my opinion) its not like you going to take a 60mph+, when i test drove the Z it was all about Looks,Performance,Interior,NICE SYSTEM!!! and u get girls #'s evry second...... so my decision go for the Z more reliable

Last edited by crazy04350z; 04-21-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:55 PM
tractng

Originally Posted by garrettjj

The STI is fugly!!!

How can you dispute the look

tony
Old 04-21-2006, 04:18 PM
tmb

If you are 19, I can see why the STI would appeal to you so get it.

It sure beats the pants off the Civic's I see with the goofy rear spoilers and the coffee can exhaust's.

For me who is in my 40's though, I wanted a ballsy,great handling car that was more like a work of art than a plastic model car.

After all, the Z was designed to have the look of the orginal 240Z but be a modern car and not a retro looking one.
Take the Mustang - it is merely a retro copy of the car from the 60's.yuck.
The 350Z,on the other hand, is a worthy tribute to the 240Z's design lines.

Course, you aren't going to care about all that and I would not expect you to.

To me the 350Z has the soul of the original and those Subarus are merely gaudy cars that got popular because of those 2 street racing movies (which I thoruighly enjoye,BTW)

I see those various Subaru models and say "yep, driver must be under 25"

I am not knocking you in the least. If I were 19 and wanted a car that said "look at me", I would get the Subaru also.

My opinion only so please no knocks but :This forum has 2 basic age groups (to generalize).
The 'older' group owns the Z obviously because of it's handling/performance but ALSO because this is a car with a long heritage.

Thye 'younger' group I would only be guessing as to why they choose the Z over something else.

The interesting, to me at least, is which age group does the serious modifucations to the Z.
The 'older' crowd has the money and hence can say "the heck" with the warranty and is much more able to modify the Z for better handling and power as there are a zillion things one can do to this car.

Not a clue on the modification capability of the Subarus
Old 04-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Ayankees2772
Banned

I just bought my z a few weeks ago at 19...i would go with the 350z, it has looks, performance, and it will get more girls. An sti is pretty much a rally car man, thats all, ****ty inside...the z is sleek, luxery, and plain old beautiful! goodluck bro
Old 04-21-2006, 04:28 PM
mc4life

Originally Posted by Everybodywildou
I'm nineteen too man. For some reason you'll find more haters if you drive a 350z rather than an STI. At least thats how it is around my neighbordhood. The other day some kid with a Civic Si told me I needed to get a real car. I was dying for a good 10 minutes in front of him. Anyway man. STI's are awesome but you gotta take care of em and not beat on em too much.
very true im 19 as well...test drove both..liked both but i got a better deal on the Z so I got that but look wise Z is like Jessica Alba and sti is like that ***** from the ozbornes....
Old 04-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Suvlaki

Originally Posted by mc4life
... but look wise Z is like Jessica Alba and sti is like that ***** from the ozbornes....
LMFAO! HAHA NICELY PUT!

Ok so I saw an STi tonight, (havn't seen one in a while, actually) so I parked my Z next to it... and took a good side-by-side look at them. Everyone has opinions, so I'm not makin' fun or anyone or anything... But as far as I go... Anyone who thinks the STi looks even DECENT when compared to the Z is smoking some ****. Seriously, the STi when compared to my Z.... I mean, I'd rather stare at pictures of my *** instead of drive in that thing. But everyone has their own opinions, so whatever floats ur boat... But personally, the Z is more of a serious car with overall value... the STi is ... just plain wrong. Put a turbo in the Z and u'll smoke it.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:15 PM
invisible-z

I have both the STi and 350z.

They are both great cars. Depends on what you are looking for. I think the STi is more fun to drive if the feel of acceleration and speed is what you are looking for. I get a lot of good comments from my STi but way way more in my Z.

I have an 03 Z. I think the Z feels way more balanced and natural. When you drive a AWD its a totally different animal.

Both are extremely fun cars.
Attached Thumbnails 350z or STI?-img_305711.jpg   350z or STI?-8e21339d.jpg  

Last edited by invisible-z; 04-21-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:17 PM
invisible-z

https://my350z.com/forum/media-share/166403-really-ugly-z.html

The pictures of my Z is here...
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM
r26

i like the old sti front end better
Old 04-21-2006, 09:42 PM
abui01

I drove an STI, couldn't break the tires loose, those things handle like non-other. I'm an extreme AutoX guy so I would've chosen the STI if I was 19. Now I'm a bit older and deal with clients so I need something that would give a little more class. If I had to choose, I'd love the Performance of the STI in the Z's body, but the happy medium would be a Z in general. Think more about your future aspirations rather than the current power hungry soul, it'll eventually get played out and your older self will be looking for that Z.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:07 AM
UCLAzzz

FJ cruiser and a Z, i'm happy with that combo! But I'm old at 29!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:10 AM
canyonghostZ

Same problem i couldn't choose between the Sti, Z,or Evo
gettting my Z in two months. cant wait

Overall performance and looks for 30k the Z
Sti and Evo only performance

if you dont care for looks STI!!
but imo if i'm going to spend 30k for a car it better look good.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:46 AM
aleok

g35
Old 04-22-2006, 02:58 AM
dkmaxitus

Originally Posted by aleok
g35
too many of those you guys get in 'O'ahu... nah nah nah

Quick Reply: 350z or STI?