Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

91' NSX or 06' 350Z?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 05:15 PM
kpiskin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 Z without a doubt IMO. NSX's still look sexy and are fairly rare, but they are nowhere near as awe inspiring as they once were for the money. Yes the NSX is a reliable Honda, and they were designed to be reliable street race cars. However, as cars age, there is more maintenance regardless of brand. This is a 15 year old car.

Like the other guys said, with the Z you get the full warranty, lower maintenance and probably lower insuance costs. It is more economical to drive and has a longer range. Plus I think the Z is probably much safer.

If you don't care that you will be putting more money into the car almost as soon as you buy it and want an instant classic, then I say get it. Otherwise pass.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:12 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by Clapton9286
hyper- You obviously don't understand that this is a HONDA.
my sister has a 93 honda with well over 100k miles no problem so I get its reliable... and I understand acura is honda...

In general most people don't work on their own cars and in general a 15 year old car will have more little things go wrong with it than a brand new one... I am not talking just engine but other random things like AC, water pump, switches and *****... Such things that would be convered under warrenty on a brand new Z.

sure if you work on your own car things like oil changes and changing belts won't be that expensive but thats also not really the norm either. But I have a feeling anyone with the skills the work on a NSX himself wouldn't post a thread asking whats better a NSX or Z.

I am not saying the Z is better than the NSX i am just saying its not really an even comparison since the true cost to own will be more for the NSX.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Clapton9286

Yea but you know what...the NSX is a car that only comes around once in a generation. It bested big time sports cars at their own game, and did it with reliability and effectiveness. Not to mention it was engineered with the help of one of the greatest race-car drivers of all time. You're not only buying that, but you're buying a car that still outperforms most of the cars out there.

If i ever saw an NSX for under 25K i'd most likely jump on it.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
angelico

Go with the 350z, I had an 93 NSX. They are nice but you would not want to drive it every day. I also think the 350z is faster and more people will turn there heads, the NSX not everyone is in love with it. Plus the 15 years is a big space the 350 will be a saver choice.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
NTRIGUE

Originally Posted by theanswer0127
i found a 91' NSX w/ 58000miles and costs 28k. seller claims it to be in "excellent condition". would u get this over the 06' 350Z??

is the NSX a good dd? and is such an old car safe?? (alum body, air bags n all that ****)

thanks in advance!
I was in the same boat. Maybe a 1996+ with the 3.2L but not a '91. Maintenance although nothing like an older Porsche will be common.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Jyoder7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clapton9286
Umm dudes..its a Honda..maintenance? Cmon..gimme a break.

NSX.
The auto transmission in my Accord tore itself apart 3 weeks after its warranty ended, I've also had several other minor problems it has been the most unreliable vehicle my family has ever owned.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Clapton9286

I wasn't aware the Honda ACCORD was an NSX. Even though I do see your point..there are lemons everywhere. However..the NSX was lauded as a supercar/sports car with above par reliability. And I have never heard of any major problems with them; my eye doctor has had one for 8 years and nothing has been wrong with it at all.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Chambers

58K miles? go for the Z. If the NSX had lesser mileage on it and was a little bit newer, definately go for the NSX
Old 04-24-2006, 08:32 PM
SH1FT-Z

IMO, if you can get a deal with the seller and end up getting the NSX for $25K then get it....otherwise, get the '06 Z
Old 04-24-2006, 09:06 PM
medic165

I love the looks of an NSX...timeless. However, i just couldn't justify paying 30k for a 15 year old car compare as getting a brand new 350z. Then again, i'm just a guy making average money but if i had $$ to spend like that, i'd get the NSX.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:08 PM
NzZ

Depends on how long and often you're going to use the car. As a second car the NSX would be great...but no matter how well made or low mileage a 15yo car is rarely dependable. Items such as rubber bushings, filters, etc. have a limited lifespan. As far as safety, the NSX is probably ok but its technology is 15yrs old - no side airbags, VDC, etc.

As I said if it were my second car, I'd strongly consider the NSX. But if this is something I'm zipping around in every day, a 91 NSX is just too damn old to be reliable (unless you sink tons of money into it).
NzZ
Old 04-25-2006, 06:09 AM
davidf

There have been soooo many changes since the 91' debut, maybe $23,000 but IMO not $28,000. Remember for every year you own this car it will lose even more value.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:17 AM
novaz

'06 Z - New car, full warranty, etc.
I love the posts about other cars vs. the Z on here....
Old 04-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sooooo many changes, huh? Ok, there's the 3L to 3.2L which brought along the 5speed to 6speed change. There's the brake upgrade in 97, and revised front end in 02. Not much else has changed. Near perfection is hard to improve.

And since davidf is on a roll- By the time you put 30k miles on an '06 350Z it will be worth less than most 91 NSX's you can find. Talk about pissing money away...

Wouldn't you like to drive a car that is built better, handles better, accelerates faster, responds better to mods, turns more heads, is more reliable and when you're finally done having fun with it you can turn around and sell it for damn near what you paid? It's like the cost of ownership is ZERO. Now I'm not saying it's the same for a 94+ NSX cause those are still depreciating. However there is a plataue and the 91-92 NSX's are just about there. Find one for low $20's and you absolutely can not lose. It's like a Supra MKIV when it comes to resale.

Not saying that a 350Z isn't a great performance car, cause it is. But when you start comparing it to an NSX you've over stepped a boundry. It's like an NSX owner comparing their car to an Enzo. Yea, right...whatever.

But hey, coming from someone who's owned seven cars before age 23, dumped thousands of dollars in each, took hits on resale, been there and has done that, what's my $.02 worth? Probably a penny cause I'll take a hit on that too, lol.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:08 AM
rythex

Guy on a local forum from where I am (Edmonton) just bought a 91 NSX that was in "excellent" condition.. too bad he needed all new tie rods right away, and needed it towed after the rad hose fell apart.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:18 AM
LODOSS

NSX is an exotic car, if you have another daily driver then yah i would rock the NSX for sure.. when your driving the NSX.. your in a different league. but payign 28k is too muc. i remember a couple of times when i was looking into buying them. i was able to find 91-94's for around 15-20k. and they are all excellent condition and low miles since the only people that can and would buy them are people that collects them and drive them for what it is..
Old 04-25-2006, 07:22 AM
LODOSS

oh yah add: just about every true magazine, tv show has said that the NSX is probabaly one of the finest sports car ever made in Japan.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Built2shredZ

Have to agree with the other guys who have said to buy it IF you have another car. A sports car that is 15 years old is more of a project car then a daily driver. Your going to have lots of small things go wrong with it from being so old. Rubber hoses, gaskets, etc... wear out from old age...

I have a fried who has a 96 NSX and few months back we were talking about maintance costs on it, and he said the costs are no different then any other 6 cylinder Acura. Although Im sure there are some dishonest dealerships out there that would try and rip people off by charging more for the NSX regular maintance because they can say its an exotic sports car.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by Nihilation
LOL @ all your Z biased opinions. The NSX is no more unreliable than your average Civic and as far as maintenance costs go the most expensive one you'll run into is the water pump/timing belt @ ~90k which cost the previous owner of my 91 NSX a grand total of $1800.

Now to further this with facts, the NSX is damn near depreciated all it's going to. What will your Z be worth in 10-15 years? $10k at best? My 91 with 80k miles would sell for close to $30k all day long. Daily drivable? Yea...I drive mine as often as I can 60 miles round trip- of course I have another truck I drive when the weather sucks but it's no worse than driving a 300ZX daily(which I did a little over a year ago).

Besides, how many Z's do you see each day? It'd take more fingers than I've got to count with for sure...at least that's how it is in northern VA.
On what planet? I sell high-end cars. I will pay you $1000 for each customer willing to pay $30K for a 91 NSX. Hell, I sold a 2000 NSX-T for $38K and I thought I was ripping him off. You can still get 05s for near $50K. A 91 NSX in any condition is never going to be worth more than $20K. Considering it was near $80K new, I think its depreciation is in line with any other car that started out at that price. If you ever want to upgrade to a newer model for $35K after you sell your piece of gold for $30K let me know. The NSX is a hit-or-miss car. It will sit on the lot until one of the NSX freaks come out to get it. Do yourself a favor and get the Z or even something else but if you are hell bent on getting an NSX and willing to pay $28K, PM me. I can find you around a 96 model for that price but those cars don't come around every week so you'll have to be patient.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Desimale

Originally Posted by Nihilation

Not saying that a 350Z isn't a great performance car, cause it is. But when you start comparing it to an NSX you've over stepped a boundry. It's like an NSX owner comparing their car to an Enzo. Yea, right...whatever.
Like comparing an nsx to an enzo? lol. Someone earlier was saying how his z handled way better than his nsx.

Quick Reply: 91' NSX or 06' 350Z?!?