Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: With gas prices sky rocketing how many people put premium, plus or regular unleaded?
I use PREMIUM Unleaded ONLY!
90.86%
I use PLUSUnleaded most of the time!
4.96%
I use REGULAR Unleaded because I'm broke!
4.18%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

With gas prices sky rocketing how many people put premium, plus or regular unleaded?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:50 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CAN0802
Honestly, I could care less how much gas is, and yes, I can afford an M3, I simply chose to be different. Have you seen how many 3 series are out on the road in SoCal?
As for those complaining about the cost of gas, a good deal of them can barely afford the car note and insurance, then gas prices went up. Personally, I do not see myself changing anything about my driving habits due to the higher fuel prices. If the extra $5-10 a tank hurts your wallet so much, buy a moped. I hear they get excellent gas mileage.
Sorry, I am not happy about gas prices. Oil companies are making more money than anyone at anytime in history and the "we are just making 8 cents per gallon" is BS. The cost to pump oil out of the ground has not drastically changed since it was over $1 less per gallon a year ago. The bottom line is the oil companies are just picking any reason they can to raise the price of fuel be it a storm, Iraq, or China. Just because there is more demand does not make it more expensive to pump oil and refine it, then get it to market.

FYI, I have absolutely no debt, everything is paid off with money in the bank. It is not a matter of what I can afford, it is a matter of being screwed over.

Different, there are done of Z's on the road thus they are not exclusive. If you need a car to make you feel special then you got more problems than the price of gas.

Last edited by zland; 04-30-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-30-2006, 12:35 PM
godmans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe less pedal to the medal but definitely NOTHING lower than 91
Old 04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
04silverzcoupe

Originally Posted by Peking
It makes me laugh when some people say our prices here are high or out of control...

Many other places, like most of Europe... China, etc... Pay twice as much as us and have paid more than us for quite some time now.

So it could be much worse.

im sorry but this should be nominated for dumbest post of the year award
who cares about gas prices in europe and china. i guess bc another country pays more than we do that we should raise our gas prices to match
wait heres a better idea, maybe we shoyuld lower them to other countrys prices, like the 90c/g price in kuwait.
and also not just for us, who all obviously make a decent amt of money, but what about hte people who have min wage jobs and a family to support? those are the people gas prices are most affecting
btw premium 95%, every now and then when im real low on gas and im in the cvicinity of my house i only fill like a gallon or two of reg. gas is like 20 cents higher here on theisland than in town so....
Old 04-30-2006, 12:45 PM
04silverzcoupe

Originally Posted by zland
It is not a matter of what I can afford, it is a matter of being screwed over.
exactly
exxon posting record profits again, but its somehow sooooooo hard for them to get the oil and so expensive to do so.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:38 PM
cfdemarco

Originally Posted by 04silverzcoupe
wait heres a better idea, maybe we shoyuld lower them to other countrys prices, like the 90c/g price in kuwait.
Now that's the smartest thing in this thread so far.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:05 PM
DevineOrn

for those of you out there that swear by a certain brand (chevron, getty, or whatever) you'd be very disappointed to know that almost ALL gasoline in the US travels through the same shared national pipelines from the refineries...sux for you. however much a company puts into the national pipeline system at one location is exactly how much it can take out at another location elswhere in the nation. 93 octating-rating gas being sold at a fastlane in florida IS the same 93-OR gas being sold at texaco in cali...different companies simply add their own additives...some of which are not recommended for your engine anyway in the long run! LOL, just buy some damn gas...

btw, i swear by 93 octane from wawa...

Last edited by DevineOrn; 05-03-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:10 PM
SteveZ33

Originally Posted by DevineOrn
btw, i swear by 93 octane from wawa...
wawa . Wonder how many here know what that is. Can see a super one from where I'm sitting.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:42 PM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by zland
Sorry, I am not happy about gas prices. Oil companies are making more money than anyone at anytime in history and the "we are just making 8 cents per gallon" is BS. The cost to pump oil out of the ground has not drastically changed since it was over $1 less per gallon a year ago. The bottom line is the oil companies are just picking any reason they can to raise the price of fuel be it a storm, Iraq, or China. Just because there is more demand does not make it more expensive to pump oil and refine it, then get it to market.

FYI, I have absolutely no debt, everything is paid off with money in the bank. It is not a matter of what I can afford, it is a matter of being screwed over.

Different, there are done of Z's on the road thus they are not exclusive. If you need a car to make you feel special then you got more problems than the price of gas.
It isn't the oil companies deciding what the price of oil is, it is investors. Everyone is on their high horse thinking it is Bush and company doing all of this, and it isn't. If anything, he is simply a puppet. If you want to lower the price of gas, you have to lower the price of oil, and the only way to do that is to take it off the publicly traded market. The problem is, that will never happen, as too many people are making a ton of money on it.
As for having a car to make me feel special, that isn't it. But I do own a roadster, and while I might see one here and there, it is nothing like the BMWs you see in these parts. Exclusivity? Maybe, but I really don't like driving what everyone else drives. Makes it easier to find mine when I go out.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:47 PM
reddawgy

I thought this post was on grade of gas not prices? As far as grade I have been one of many who believe that high performance engines perform worse on lower grade gas. I know, no big news. The point is that you get better mileage on premium with a HP engine so paying less for lower grade and getting poorer performance, and mileage is kind of a wash. In addition low octane gas in a HP engine can lead to pings and things.

As far as gas prices, it seams clear that if Amercian oil companies were charging more because they were paying more thier profits would be relatively stable. They are not, thier profits are obscene making me think I am being taken to the cleaners.

Just because a guy drives $20k, $40k or $60k car doesn't mean a doubling of gas prices doesn'ter to me, it does. Every dollar I spend matters to me, and to most people whether they have more than 2 to rub together or not.

In my opinion $40k is not a pricey car, it is mid range in todays market. Personally I spent $34k. I could have spent $90k for a Porsche 911, but I chose to have a car I can drive without so many concerns. I got my first paint chip on my $35k car, it hurt a lot less than the chip I got on my $50k car. Maybe it is just me.

Ya know a ot of people who have money have it because they don't buy a car to indicate thier status, they buy it because it fits thier needs and desires. If you gave $90k, I would still buy the Z and invest the rest. No flames, just my opinion.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:53 AM
novaz

I use only premium in the Z.
I didn't purchase a new car to have problems by not following the manufacturers requirement for premium fuel.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:07 AM
jrod1014

Put premium (91, 93) fuel in these cars, people... Besides the fact that you shouldn't own a Z if you are trying to save on gas, the difference between the grades is as someone mentioned, a caffe latte... If that...

Fun with facts:

Real gas prices here in Miami:
Chevron Service Station on SW 157 Ave & SW 88th St.

2.99 Reg 87 - cost to fill up x18.2* gallons = $54.418
3.09 Plus 89 - cost to fill up x18.2* gallons = $56.238
3.19 Sup 93 - cost to fill up x18.2* gallons = $58.058

*= 18.2 is where the pump usually clicks for me... I run on E for a couple miles before gassing up...

Difference between Premium and Plus is a whopping $1.82
Difference between Premium and Regular is a mind blowing $3.64

So what did we learn with this little math lesson? Fill your tanks up with premium unless the less than $4 is hard to come by... In which case, again, you should not be driving a Z or any car that requires premium.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 AM
Sven

Default Inflation

Whether you own a Z or a Corolla, high gas prices drive up inflation.

I agree that it's silly that 6oz of a Gronday Lotay at Sbux costs as much as a GALLON of gas, the investors in the energy market count on making the Exxon's of the world filthy rich, and they know we'll pay for it.

I hate the money grubbing bastard CEOs and investors like anyone else, but at the same time, I don't complain too much about having to put 93 oct. in my Z.

I knew the costs of owning the car when I bought it.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 AM
chuckie311

i mean is 3 bucks more going to kill you putting in the right gas per fill up. i doubt it
Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 AM
WATSON1

I always use premium. Used it in my Max, Alti, and now the Z. Only thing that gets regular is the wifes Saturn and the 4-wheeler .
Old 05-01-2006, 08:21 AM
Sven

Default And...

Wouldn't you feel nice when you're 1 out of 250 cars on the road driving a Z cause you don't let high gas prices get in the way of your hobby/passion/enjoyment?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Joe2

Originally Posted by fairladyZ in Japan
Yes. Even thinking of putting anything less than premium into the veins of my Z sends shivers up my spine.
exactly, my Z is my daily driver. if i couldn't afford premium gas i would take the friggen bus. nothing but premium 92+ octane goes in my baby.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:08 PM
gprro1

What's the deal with Cali. and crappy 91 octane premium? Why no 93 or 94? Two months ago i could get 94 super in NC for cheaper than the 91 when I moved out here. WTF
Old 05-01-2006, 12:40 PM
z32-z33

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

will adding octaine booster to CAli's 91 octane do any good?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Blue_Streek

^^^no there was an articl back in Sport Compact Car a few months back. they tested about 4 methods of inproving octane. i think only 1 booster actually worked. but i think it got to about 92.7. so is the $5 worth that extra, maybe.
but i think if gas gets to $4, i might start using 100 octane race gas.

tommy

Quick Reply: With gas prices sky rocketing how many people put premium, plus or regular unleaded?