Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

rearview mirror visibility.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:37 AM
ANXIOUZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
You should try reversing in the ZR with the top up. The rear window is for aesthetics only. I always turn my radio down so I can hear any screaming.
lmfao
Old 05-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Z_freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

greatness
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

As far as rearward visibility while moving, I have adjusted the rear view mirror so the top half shows the headliner, the bottom half of the mirror then works quite well to give me a straight back view for as far as the eye can see.

With the side mirrors most people pull them in so they can see their fenders from the normal sitting position. In this position you get quite a bit of overlap between the rear view and the side view, and in this case the redundancy does you no favors. I set my drivers side mirror by leaning my head on the door glass and setting the mirror so I can just see the fender, then adjusting the passenger side by leaning toward the center of the car and adjusting till I can just see the fender. This way I have a good view of what is traveling by the rear quarter panels. Anything I cant see in these mirrors is either out the door glass or in the rear view.

Backing up is a "beep", good luck with that one. The Z is fast going forward but slow in reverse

After a while you get used to the Z and with the supper powers endowed on all Z owners, you will have a sixth sense about the movement and pace of the cars around you.

Chris
Old 05-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Kirkster

I only use the rear view mirror to determine if I am going fast enough. If I can see another car in the mirror I obviously need to go faster.

I actually see better behind me with the side mirrors... And use the head swivel often to make sure no one is beside me when I change lanes.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:46 PM
grifferjr

yeah the rearview is really limited. in fact it was one of the "cons" to the car when recently reviewed on edmunds.com. (the pros far outweighed the cons by the way)

I think the main culprit in the coupe is the strut bar.

i have been on this site for several years now and i want to say i even remember a story of a fellow Z owner that got ticketed by an A$$HOLE cop for not enough rearview visibility due to the strut bar. the big debate about that was, can a cop do that when its a stock item on the car?? i doubted it at the time.

on a related note I know the same story has been told with those subaru WRX imprezza's, the ones with the piano on the trunk for a rear wing.

they could both be just urban legends. but the visibility does suck!!
Old 05-02-2006, 03:25 PM
maxpowers

I've done this too, it works wonders for forward visability for those of us that are tall.

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
As far as rearward visibility while moving, I have adjusted the rear view mirror so the top half shows the headliner, the bottom half of the mirror then works quite well to give me a straight back view for as far as the eye can see.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Mazinger Z

When I bought the car I had the same problem, after testing out a few configs, the best setup I found was this: turn the mirror upside down and buy one of those "long" or "convex" clip on mirrors ($10.00 on ebay) and clip it on. I guarantee that you will see better and the (homelink) buttons will still be available for use. If you clip it on without turning the mirror upside down, it will cover the homelink buttons. Good luck! I hope this helps. I could take pictures but this is pretty self explanatory.