Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tips on how to drive the Z sportscar

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:19 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tips on how to drive the Z sportscar

Ok, so I no longer feel like a complete noob to manual anymore after about 2 months or so. I drive everywhere, and I got the hang of hills!! My biggest test was bumper to bumper traffic in a spiral car garage..it was great I couldnt stop cheesing!! My auto Z was cool but MAN I LOVE MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!: **converted for life** LOL anyways now I need some tips from all ya'll Z experts or anyone on learning how to start driving the Z like a sportscar should be, especially launching it. I keep hearing all these phrases like power shifting, heel toe, double clutching blah blah blah is all new to me. As of now I've been driving the Z like a grandama, and I think am ready for the next level. Anytips you can share are appreciated..thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Above: Summit Point, WV 05/27/05

Reading about driving is a poor substitute for driving. I can get techniques from a book, but until I practice those techniques a thousand times, words mean little. Take a high performance driving class. A pro will give you tips, and you can practice in a safe environment. All techniques learned at the track can be used for daily casual driving.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:48 PM
CC 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Reading about driving is a poor substitute for driving. I can get techniques from a book, but until I practice those techniques a thousand times, words mean little. Take a high performance driving class. A pro will give you tips, and you can practice in a safe environment. All techniques learned at the track can be used for daily casual driving.
+1
I hear the "SEARCH" police coming.

Last edited by CC 350Z; 05-10-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:50 PM
SOCAL350

Originally Posted by gabez33
Ok, so I no longer feel like a complete noob to manual anymore after about 2 months or so. I drive everywhere, and I got the hang of hills!! My biggest test was bumper to bumper traffic in a spiral car garage..it was great I couldnt stop cheesing!! My auto Z was cool but MAN I LOVE MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!: **converted for life** LOL anyways now I need some tips from all ya'll Z experts or anyone on learning how to start driving the Z like a sportscar should be, especially launching it. I keep hearing all these phrases like power shifting, heel toe, double clutching blah blah blah is all new to me. As of now I've been driving the Z like a grandama, and I think am ready for the next level. Anytips you can share are appreciated..thanks
Start with the heel/toe thread about 9 posts down. Amazing how much information is here after 4 years.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
roast

Don't worry about heel-toe downshifting if you're still wondering how to launch and shift through the gears quickly. Heel-toe downshifting is a more advanced concept that is not at all necessary to know unless you have already mastered the basics. It involves several things that you must be intimately familiar with first before you even consider it. No offense, but recommending a newbie "start with the heel-toe" is terrible advice.

After learning to launch I would also suggest learning to speed shift instead of powershifting. Powershifting is not only hard on your drivetrain, it comes with no benefit. It's actually slower than speed shifting. Especially being a newbie, you will most likely murder your drivetrain trying to powershift.

I would also work on learning to rev-match downshifts. You must know how to do this flawlessly before you consider learning to heel-toe.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:55 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The advice on tracking your car is probably best but not everyone has the money or advantage of having a track nearby. The best substitue for this is to find out what car enthusiasts may be doing in your area for what they call autocrossing. Much cheaper entry and car preperation. You just need a safe car and a helmet. (edit - in fact, go to the autocrossing section of this website or the local section for the Texas area and find what you need instead of reading the rest of this! ;-) ) Autocrossing is a makeshift road course set up with orange traffic cones in large parking lots accross the country. Most events are put on by the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) or local car groups like a Porsche owners club or something. I have not done this for about 8 years but its usually like $20 for a day of racing. You will only get a few passes through the track though so eveyone gets some time. It's still a blast though. Depending on the lot size you may not get going over 40-50mph but turns will come up so quick that it's like a compressed track and you will learn awesome car control techniques either the hard way or start hanging out with the fast drivers and ask to ride along with them. The group I was with for a couple of years would have "professional" instruction available for a weekend for a fee. You will have fun and learn alot
Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bjr
find out what car enthusiasts may be doing in your area for what they call autocrossing.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 PM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 1 to all of it....but buy a great helmet first and then find a track.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:02 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by gabez33
As of now I've been driving the Z like a grandama, and I think am ready for the next level.
Just practice rev matching on downshifting. On every great corner, downshift/ rev match by blipping the throttle and then letting out the clutch before you enter the corner. Then hold your power through the corner, stepping on the gas as you start to exit.

Then go FI. It makes the Z evil
Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 AM
tienlo

Originally Posted by roast
Don't worry about heel-toe downshifting if you're still wondering how to launch and shift through the gears quickly. Heel-toe downshifting is a more advanced concept that is not at all necessary to know unless you have already mastered the basics. It involves several things that you must be intimately familiar with first before you even consider it. No offense, but recommending a newbie "start with the heel-toe" is terrible advice.

After learning to launch I would also suggest learning to speed shift instead of powershifting. Powershifting is not only hard on your drivetrain, it comes with no benefit. It's actually slower than speed shifting. Especially being a newbie, you will most likely murder your drivetrain trying to powershift.

I would also work on learning to rev-match downshifts. You must know how to do this flawlessly before you consider learning to heel-toe.

Rev matching is very important. I learnt to heel toe about a month after i first drove a manual by driving up and down a street with 4 roundabouts (single lane, no other traffic around) for HOURS.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:41 PM
lw3

Learn to double clutch so you can put the Z in first while rolling 15 mph. If you dont double clutch you will grind first gear.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:21 PM
roast

You should "double clutch" ANY time shifting into first gear or reverse.

More specifically, if rolling and shifting to first you need to double clutch and rev-match. You push the clutch in, select neutral, release the clutch, apply throttle to the appropriate rpms(this is the important part and gets the tranny spinning to the appropriate speed), depress the clutch again and select first. At this point it should slide right into first gear with no effort on your part and minimal wear on your first gear synchro. You should never have to force the shifter into gear and you should never hear your synchros whine.

Last edited by roast; 05-11-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lay on the Gas Full Bore and Use the Horn whan an Obstacle Appears.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:05 PM
rightwinger

Then go FI. It makes the Z evil [/QUOTE]

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is "FI"..??
Old 05-13-2006, 05:31 PM
youngZ33

FI = forced induction

Like... turbo and supercharge
Old 05-13-2006, 06:29 PM
rightwinger

Why thank you ...rarely can ask question with out a following flame.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 PM
bamyi

the oposite of FI is NA

NA = naturaly aspirated
Old 05-13-2006, 09:21 PM
rx7/350z

Originally Posted by davidv

Above: Summit Point, WV 05/27/05

that pic is funny . it loosk like the vette and z are just sitting there and the cobra and the integra are pushed to the limits
Old 05-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Mathys

Originally Posted by rx7/350z
that pic is funny . it loosk like the vette and z are just sitting there and the cobra and the integra are pushed to the limits

Mabye because the Z and vette just enter the corner and the others are in the middle of it?
Old 05-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Fletch69z

Autocrossing will teach you a lot.

Quick Reply: Tips on how to drive the Z sportscar