Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs. S2000

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 09:35 AM
ToddLuc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by S2kRob
As for the torque issue, what you guys are forgetting is that the 350Z redlines at 6600rpm, and the S2000 redlines at 9000rpm, so you can run 36% lower gearing on the S2000 to match the 350Z's speed in gears. 36% lower gearing = 36% torque multiplication at the wheels, which narrows the torque gap considerably.
What we are not forgetting is the S2000's torque is 152ft-lbs and the 350Z is 276ft-lbs.

I have ridden in the S2000. It is a great car. Fun to ride in. The torque was a bit weak, though. It sounded great, but didn't really put me in the seat at all. I would rather have lots of torque at lower rpm than have to drop the clutch at 6000rpm+ to get the torque feeling using VTEC.

This is not a bash. I really did like the S2000. I just want torque.

Regards,
Todd
Old 07-08-2002, 10:03 AM
NissaNZ

Default Hahaahaaa...

Please don't put the s2000 in the same sentece with Ferrari.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:49 PM
mav

Well a Ferrari, the S2000 is not... maybe one can consider it to be the poor man's Ferrari.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:21 PM
BigBadBuford

The S2000 is a nice car, but its not really for me. I checked one out at the Honda dealer a few months ago and it was just too small of a car for me. Plus, they were still charging over sticker for it and they wouldnt let you test drive it without a down payment. What a joke!
The biggest reason I dont think I'd like one is the lack of torque. The car I drive now has 530 lbs. ft. of torque at 2400 rpm. It has to be the perfect daily driver. I love the effortless torque. You don't have to rev it over 3000 rpm unless you really want to move, and going up steep hills doesnt phase it one bit. I hope the Z will have some of the same characteristics. I hate driving a small displacement 4 cylinder where you have to keep it on the boil to accelerate up a hill, or downshift 2 or 3 gears to pass on the highway. For a daily driven street car, torque is king.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:52 PM
ITZBITZ

Originally posted by JDZ
What reason does Honda have for making this car limited production? Are they hand built or something? If it is simply to drive up the price and make the car more exclusive that is reason enough for me not to do business with Honda (at least on this car).
Could it be that they understand their market? There is not a market for unlimited production units of a car like that. Believe it or not, most people do NOT want a two-seater convertible with no room in it.

Honda is not an American car company and they don't think like one. America's answer is 'just keep making them, if we can't sell them, well mark 'em cheap and sell 'em quick and the dealer won't make any money.'

Nissan is going to try to sell 30,000+ 350Zs in the first year alone. That's going to be tough for them to accomplish. Sure, it's easy to generate hype and get 6400 preorders, but then what happens? In December, do you really think people are going to be lined up waiting for the next 350Z's to show up so they can drive them home in the snow and rain? I don't think so.

Between the G35, G35C, 350Z -- there are a lot of cars to be sold that will meet many people's needs. And that's just Nissan. So who is to say, but you can't blame Honda for good business sense. They do it with the Oddysey, Pilot and S2000. Keep production just behind demand to keep the price at MSRP or higher. A dealer selling 10 cars at MSRP can do as well or better than a dealer selling 20 cars at just over invoice.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:07 PM
J Ritt

I can't wait to hear reviews of the Z from you S2000 owners. It seems like a lot of people were or are trying to decide between these cars, including myself (and a good friend). My friend and I both went with the Z's...basically I talked him in to it..heh. We both drive integra Type R's now, and we're looking for something with a little more grunt.
I'll be really curious to hear straight out comparos from people that live with both cars day in and day out. I think they are both amazing cars for different reasons. The whole torque debate is an endless one. I've personally never owned a bigger displacement car, so I'm really psyched to try something new. Based on a few other cars I've driven and ridden in (911, M3, vettes, supra turbo, etc.) I have a feeling that I will like the engine characteristics of the Z much better than a high revving inline 4 like I own now. I simply don't get to rev it as much as I like on a day to day basis...rarely actually. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what people think after putting some miles on their Z's...should be fun.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:20 PM
FstQban

Hey Matt- yes I know it is called i-vtech. However I have found that most people just get confused by the extra letter!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 07:22 PM
rai

I've read that the S2000 is hand built, It may be at the same place that builds the NSX. That doesn't make it any better, but it keeps supply low and may help resale down the road. It is fun to drive, but it doesn't have the latest bells and wistles the Z has. Such as TC, Stability control, brake force distribution, and drive by wire. Some might not care for these feaures, but in this price range its almost unheard of.

Also I kove the sound of the engine, but I'm afraid it may not hold up as well as a more relaxed, bigger displacement engine. I mean the piston speed is faster than a F1 cars.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:22 PM
J Ritt

Cool

He means that you spelled VTEC wrong! He's saying that you should know that.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:28 PM
nizl

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
The car I drive now has 530 lbs. ft. of torque at 2400 rpm. It has to be the perfect daily driver. I love the effortless torque.
Jezus, what do you drive, a tractor?!
Old 07-08-2002, 07:32 PM
joeandcarol2

Seems to me that the S2000 and the 350Z are very different cars and really like comparing apples and oranges. The S2000 is more of a throwback to older sports cars that did not have lots of torque but handled supurbly. Both are great. Its a matter of which kind of car best suits you.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:49 AM
mav

To clear up some misinformation...

The Honda S2000 is mostly hand built in Honda's exclusive Takanazawa Plant in Tochigi, Japan, the same factory that produces the Honda/Acura NSX. For the most part, it is completely hand built minus the painting process.

The S2000 was never developed for mass production. It is a limited production roaster meant to celebrate Honda's 50th Anniversary. The first year it was released in 2000, many dealers were marking up the price, since it was so rare and in such high demand. This was just inevitable. It's called market conditions. Same with the new Z. Some dealers are marking it up to $5K from what I understand. Nowadays, most Honda dealers have come back to reality and selling the S2000 for MSRP, some even less. I got my 02 for $1k under MSRP. I suspect that the new Z will head the same route.

And I'm sorry but I rather MUCH prefer and pay top dollar for a limited production, hand built, high quality car in the S2000 then your normal, everyday mass produced low quality domestic car if I had to choose. In the end, it comes down to personal preference and what's more important. Quality vs Price.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:46 AM
S2kRob

Default Re: Hahaahaaa...

Originally posted by TwinTurboZX
Please don't put the s2000 in the same sentece with Ferrari.
Hehe, a friend has owned a Ferrari 328, a Pantera, a Lotus Esprit, and an S2000 and he says the S2000 is the best of the bunch. If you haven't experienced an S on the perfect twisty road, I suggest you do, because you are missing out on a truly brilliant experience.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:07 AM
S2kRob

Oh yeah, just to let you all know, the main reason I didn't buy the Z was because I wanted a car for this summer, and I just wasn't sure about preordering after driving a G35. Now I've got a great sports car and can sit in the sidelines and watch the flood of hot new sportscars hit the market and see how they stack up. Should be fun!
Old 07-09-2002, 06:11 AM
nizl

Hey, shouldn't your login be "StookRob"?

Quick Reply: 350Z vs. S2000