9.00%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

350z or rx8 or rsx-s

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:28 PM
fusionchicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thanks a lot for your responses.

i know there will be a lot of biased opinions, but they are obviously expected on a 350z forum honestly u guys are displaying less fanboi-ism than the rx8 forum

also rsx-s takes premium. i feel bad for the guy who was feeding it regular octane...that rsx-s must be a sad, sad car by now. even sadder current owner i presume.

yea my friend should ask u guys the questions, but since he doens't know much about cars, he told me the questions and let me ask for him.

another factor is he doesn't know how to drive manual yet. i'm teaching him now, but i dont want him to go test drive mazda/nissan's flagship sports car and stall them in the parking lot.

again thanks for all ur inputs. i'm primarily looking for the folks that went from rsx-s or rx8 to 350z. wanna hear ur thoughts
Old 05-29-2006, 04:50 PM
streetracer

Originally Posted by 05Blu3z
the "old" rsx and the "new" rsx are the same the only thing they changed on the exterior are the lights....
Disagree. The newer ones have a black background in the headlights that make them look racier. The backlights look more finished and slicker. Just MO.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:24 PM
HeelnToe

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
honestly u guys are displaying less fanboi-ism than the rx8 forum
Nice.

If any of you are curious to see the thread: http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=90989

Hardly fanbois, methinks.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:40 PM
MovingViolation

Welcome to 2004. Get a Kia Rio.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Garrison

In response to the manual shifting issue, the 350z comes in an automatic. you sacrifice about 25 hp doing so, but the option is there.
I'm not entirely sure I could really go with either of the other two cars. I personally LOVE the 350z, and while I have driven all of the above, I honestly can't think of anything that I would want to drive more in the given price range.

Just my opinion. Worthless as it may be.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Garrison

In response to the manual shifting issue, the 350z comes in an automatic. you sacrifice about 25 hp doing so, but the option is there.
I'm not entirely sure I could really go with either of the other two cars. I personally LOVE the 350z, and while I have driven all of the above, I honestly can't think of anything that I would want to drive more in the given price range.

Just my opinion. Worthless as it may be.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:17 PM
fusionchicken

my friend is set on a manual sports car as his next car, so automatic is out.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:25 PM
HighwaySpeed

Question

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
my friend is set on a manual sports car as his next car, so automatic is out.
How old is your friend?

Will he drive on a race course/drag strip a majority of the time?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
It out handles an RX8 in its' sleep
I would like to see proof of this. I have driven both, and the 8 has the slight advantage here. Less weight, better layout (50/50).

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
It has a true SPORTS CAR suspension
As opposed to what?? Last time I checked, the RX-8 had a fairly decent setup.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:39 PM
HighwaySpeed

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by camaro194
I would like to see proof of this. I have driven both, and the 8 has the slight advantage here. Less weight, better layout (50/50).

As opposed to what?? Last time I checked, the RX-8 had a fairly decent setup.
Most people [Not all], think that the 350Z performs better [Overall] than the RX8. That Is Why We Bought One!

FC Said: "ride quality not as good as rx8 (but not very sure since i havn't driven/sat in one)."

The 350Z has a firm SPORTS car suspension, compared to an RX8!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:47 PM
wtf no turbo

Owned both. Rotary nut for years had 4 rx7s.Tried to find a new love for the 8 and it wasnt there. After greddy turbo and 3 tranny's I tried for the z roadster. 8 is a nice highway car and fun to drive but does not have the potential of the z. Fuctional back seats are nice to have also. No comment on the honda.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Swiffer

Here are a few comparisons for you to read:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...9/pageNumber=1

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...pe_comparison/

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104196
Old 05-29-2006, 07:12 PM
ravensaxe

I had a brand new 2004 RSX type-S and traded it in for an 2003 350z. I would go with the z if you care more about performance. It is a true sports car. I loved my Acura and it had no problems where as the z's have had their share, and the ride is softer. As far as the RX-8, I would beat them in the type-S on the road and the strip. IMO i would never think about the RX-8. Sure they handle good but a miata is a much better car. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the Z, maybe find a used turbo one. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

What does your friend really need? A sporty car with four seats or a sports car with two? The acura really isn't in this comparison because of the FWD factor and that it has no power compared to the Z or even the rx-8. Drive them all and see what fits him or her best. The Z has power on tap, no matter what gear you are in just press the right pedal and your in motion. The same cant be said about he rx8 because it has to wind up like crazy to get any power at all. I drove both. The 8 has a great interior, four seats though the backseats are useless if your friend is tall. To each his own on the styling. While on the freeway i punched it and got absolulty no response with the 8, i had to downshift a couple of gears to get ANY power and that almost overwound the motor, though the renesis can take abuse, i still wont do that to my own car. If your on the freeway driving a Z and a RX8 pulls up to you trying to race, the 8 has absolutly no chance in hell unless he is either FI or downshifts to 3rd or something. Good luck, check them all out. Like i said, one is a sports car while the others are sporty cars.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Miko

The RX-8 is not that bad looking of a car, with a really nice interior as well. It just doesn't have much go off the line. Having said that, I think they over priced it by a few g's. (Not to mention how much a Miata is overpriced, wow!)
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 AM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by Miko
The RX-8 is not that bad looking of a car, with a really nice interior as well. It just doesn't have much go off the line. Having said that, I think they over priced it by a few g's. (Not to mention how much a Miata is overpriced, wow!)
Which explains why people have been getting the left over 05's for 8000 off msrp. Pretty good deal if you're in the market for one.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:51 AM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
though the backseats are useless if your friend is tall.
Not really. I'm 6'4 and have no problems fitting in the back. Granted, the person in front of me cant have the seat all the way back, but head room is not an issue.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:52 AM
fusionchicken

thanks for the responses again guys.

yea i know how underpowered the rx8's are in a straightline....i embarrased a cocky rx8 driver with my old mr2 turbo with i/e and boost controller...

as for the links to the mags: thanks but i've already read all that and more. i'm looking for some "average joe's" opinions here, and some of them in this thread are really useful.

yea the Z has so much more power...but the rx8 feels nimbler due to weight and has backseats.....

my friend is not looking to be a track *****, however he believes a sports car should come with 3 pedals however before he learns how to drive manual he'll test drive an automatic Z first, since i think that will be a pretty good idea of how the Z will feel already. the rx8 on the other hand....automatic is 40hp less than manual so driving an auto wouldn't do the manual rx8 justice, though i think the Z will overwhelm him in the power department relative to the rx8...

keep posting ur thoughts! as to the rx7 guy, other than the power, what else pulled u away from an rx8?
Old 05-30-2006, 04:34 AM
nothingremains

if its that hard of a decesion then get the ****ty rsx and dont get a z
Old 05-30-2006, 05:15 AM
Swiffer

Please have your friend drive these cars. Regardless of what is said on here, he is the one making the decision. I did not buy my car based on a poll on some website. I drove the cars, and I decided which one to buy. You should have a pretty good idea on what each car brings to the table. There really isnt much more to say other than drive the cars.

Quick Reply: 350z or rx8 or rsx-s