2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

shifting red light??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 10:01 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting red light??

i was wondering if i could just set the rpm shift light to like 7000 and shift at another rpm cuz that light keeps bugging me.

also lets say i was going 40 on 4th gear and slowed down to likt 30 cuz of traffic do i have to shift down to 3rd gear or can i just leave it on 4th? when do i shift down?

yes im a noob to 6mt. ive searched but could not find.

Thanks..
Old 05-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try your owner's manual, you can set your shift point at 7k...or even above...the owner's manual might save you from being flammed
Old 05-29-2006, 10:24 PM
anniversary car

I have a 5AT. As for when to shift down, sorry, can't really help with that much due to the 5AT. But I can tell you that you should down shift coming to a red light i.e.:stopping. to first or second. Once again can't really help you with the exact one. Or of couse when you have a race while just cruising around in 6th down to 5th or 4th should do it. Atleast I think so. In the 5At, I go from 5th to 3rd or just whatever is neccesary, just like you.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:27 PM
LeMansZ33

Originally Posted by myZter
i was wondering if i could just set the rpm shift light to like 7000 and shift at another rpm cuz that light keeps bugging me.
Yes

also lets say i was going 40 on 4th gear and slowed down to likt 30 cuz of traffic do i have to shift down to 3rd gear or can i just leave it on 4th? when do i shift down?
Yes I would downshift, you dont have to if your only going thirty but i dont recomend that, its fun downshifting anyways
Old 05-29-2006, 10:30 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

how come i cant just slow down on 4th gear?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks..
it's ok. We have all been a noob once.

The 6mt stands for 6-speed manual transmission. As it says, it has 6 forward gears. usually, people shift up in 10mph increments for gas efficiency. So when you go from 40mph down to 30mph, it's best to change to third gear to still have enough power to accelerate afterwards. However, because of the amount of "teeth" in the gears, it may chew into your carburator if revved too high...hence the shift light. It should be set at around 3500rpms to prevent overheating of the engine due to excessive use, therefore damaging your carburator and spitting engine oil out the window washer. That's a common problem for 6mt cars. For the best protection, mix some loc-tite into the engine oil, making it thicker so it wouldn't shoot out the window washer. Instead, it will come out from the air filter like normal, thus lubricating the filter. This way you can rev safely to 7000rpms, or even higher. The clutch is also being worn when you shift down from 4th to 3rd gear at 30mph, because the engine speed is so low. Just go into 4th, hit redline, and then downshift to third...you'll hear a really loud engine noise, which is its way of telling you "I'm alive!" After you get that down, try hitting redline in 4th, then downshifting to second gear, and so on. Just make sure you change your transmission fluid regularly. Just twist off the shift ****, and pour 1.2 quarts of transmission fluid directly onto the shift shaft.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:34 PM
LeMansZ33

how come i cant just slow down on 4th gear?
jus downshift, its not hard haha

Last edited by LeMansZ33; 05-29-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by nitrouz

The 6mt stands for 6-speed manual transmission. As it says, it has 6 forward gears. usually, people shift up in 10mph increments for gas efficiency. So when you go from 40mph down to 30mph, it's best to change to third gear to still have enough power to accelerate afterwards. However, because of the amount of "teeth" in the gears, it may chew into your carburator if revved too high...hence the shift light. It should be set at around 3500rpms to prevent overheating of the engine due to excessive use, therefore damaging your carburator and spitting engine oil out the window washer. That's a common problem for 6mt cars. For the best protection, mix some loc-tite into the engine oil, making it thicker so it wouldn't shoot out the window washer. Instead, it will come out from the air filter like normal, thus lubricating the filter. This way you can rev safely to 7000rpms, or even higher. The clutch is also being worn when you shift down from 4th to 3rd gear at 30mph, because the engine speed is so low. Just go into 4th, hit redline, and then downshift to third...you'll hear a really loud engine noise, which is its way of telling you "I'm alive!" After you get that down, try hitting redline in 4th, then downshifting to second gear, and so on. Just make sure you change your transmission fluid regularly. Just twist off the shift ****, and pour 1.2 quarts of transmission fluid directly onto the shift shaft.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:42 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Good luck.
i was asking if its ok to shift at lower rpm when set at 7000 rpm. im not even trying to go 7000 on my new car.
you do what ever you told me to do and take some pics cuz i need directions with pics..

Last edited by myZter; 05-29-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:06 PM
punish_her

You can do any thing you want, but down shifting while you slow reduces alot of wear on your breaks.

Have you ever taken a good look at a clutch plate and the friction surface of a flywheel? It's essentialy a break that is alwas on clamping engine force to the rest of your drive train. So when you down shift the engine slows you down. and you dont wear on your breaks.

Now when your down shifting comming to a light, you walk the gears down: 6,5,4 and so on. DO NOT GO FROM LIKE 6th TO 3rd! VERRY BAD!

At lights never ride or slip the clutch. Like your sitting at a light and you left the clutch out alittle to partialy enguage it so you can take off like a bat-outa-hell. Yeah thats slipping it, and dont do it. It wears out your clutch plate, potentialy glazing it (making it shinny) and reducing it total clamping force. Also this will cause hotspots on the friction surface of your flywheel. The metal get real hot and looks like it was flammed fith a torch. My Stock clutch had hot spots from every day normal driving and a few highway runs here and there.

When it comes down to it, your car, your driving style. You can do what ever you want to do, but you have to be willing too accept the consiquences.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:17 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by punish_her
You can do any thing you want, but down shifting while you slow reduces alot of wear on your breaks.
Which would you rather replace, brakes or a new clutch?

Now when your down shifting comming to a light, you walk the gears down: 6,5,4 and so on. DO NOT GO FROM LIKE 6th TO 3rd! VERRY BAD!
How is going from 6th to 3rd bad?? Its just like going into any other gear. Just make sure that the rpms are matching.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:24 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Set the shift light to whatever you want. Its just a flashing light.

Downshifting techniques vary. There are no rules set it stone. If you feel comfortable in certain situations downshifting, do it.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just twist off the shift ****, and pour 1.2 quarts of transmission fluid directly onto the shift shaft.

Good luck.
Thats BS. The owners manual says 1.5 quarts.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:24 PM
LIdrew

Have you ever taken a good look at a clutch plate and the friction surface of a flywheel? It's essentialy a break that is alwas on clamping engine force to the rest of your drive train. So when you down shift the engine slows you down. and you dont wear on your breaks.

At lights never ride or slip the clutch. Like your sitting at a light and you left the clutch out alittle to partialy enguage it so you can take off like a bat-outa-hell. Yeah thats slipping it, and dont do it. It wears out your clutch plate, potentialy glazing it (making it shinny) and reducing it total clamping force. Also this will cause hotspots on the friction surface of your flywheel. The metal get real hot and looks like it was flammed fith a torch. My Stock clutch had hot spots from every day normal driving and a few highway runs here and there.

When it comes down to it, your car, your driving style. You can do what ever you want to do, but you have to be willing too accept the consiquences.
This is all very debateable. Every time you use the clutch pedal it puts wear on your clutch. So, when coming to a light you can just as easily coast to a stop as opposed to downshifting. I think brake pads are cheaper than a clutch. Just push in the clutch before the car hesitates. And I would not "WALK THE GEARS DOWN" as you said. There is NO reason to go from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3, etc. That is unnecessary use of the clutch and will wear it. There is nothing wrong with shifting from 6 th to 3rd so long as the revs and speed match.

AS far as slipping or riding the clutch, someone on these forums once said something like "pretend the clutch pedal is red hot and you have barefeet" Shift quick and get your foot off.

To the original poster. You can probably do 15 mph in 6th gear without stalling this car, but should you need to accelerate(like if traffic starts to move again) then you would need to downshift so the car would actually move.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:08 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can set it anywhere you like. It does not matter.

In that situation you would not have to downshift. You could if you wanted to, but it's not a big deal either way. You mainly only need to downshift if you're in too tall of a gear for a certain speed, or need to accelerate harder. You should know how to rev-match a downshift. Clutch braking (not revmatching downshifts) will toast your clutch.

It's all good. Everyone was a noob at some point. Don't mind the flamers, they didn't get enough attention as children.