Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Questions about going over 130 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Brief story. I'm 63 & my wife is 59. I've been taking her on some of the speed runs. Turns out she loves it & is quite comfortable. Last weekend I'm up to 125 or so on the above referenced road which has a number of different crops planted on each side. She's telling me about the crops we are whizzing by and says 'Oh, look at how healthly that green bean (or whatever) crop is". I responded, "Love I'm a little busy right now, tell me later!" LOL!

I only hope her confidence remains justified!

I had two Yamaha R1's and I had my second one up to an indicated 173 MPH and it handled fine.

I have only had my Z up to 130 so far but it handled fine too. I would rather go 173 on a bike than go 150 in a car because bikes stop quicker. You get 3,000 or so pounds moving at 140+ and a deer or other animal or person jumps out from behind those crops and well there ya go.

Good luck
Old 06-09-2006, 02:49 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're 63 years old and asking if there is anything you need to know about exceeding 130mph on public roads.

Am I reading this right?

After living 63 years and still not being seasoned at driving cars over 110mph, maybe there is a reason why you lived that long? Why take unnecessary risks now? I do think life is short and you should drive hard, but there is no good reason to push your luck and risk losing your life.

130mph is plenty fast. I've seen the Z's 159mph speed limiter a handful of times, but under every day circumstances I don't generally exceed 125ish by much (top of fourth). There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car at high speeds though, if that's what you're wondering. It was specifically designed for it, and as you've probably noticed, you can rest assured it's solid as a rock. Roast tested and mother approved!!!!

I would recommend enrolling in a high performance driving school if you really want to improve your driving in a safer environment. Just speeding up in 5mph increments is not going to do you any favors should something go wrong. I bet you would be surprised at how much stuff you are probably doing wrong(or could be doing better) before you even reach 60mph.

Something to think about?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Manu

Originally Posted by Chad68
I would rather go 173 on a bike than go 150 in a car because bikes stop quicker.
Good luck
No offence but that is incorrect. Bikes take longer to brake than cars, as their contact patch with the road is much smaller. Of course a Yugo will not stop quicker than a superbike like an R1, but a car that can be compared to a R1 will stop quicker.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:44 AM
LeMans 05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been up to 130 twice, once as a quick test and I backed off as I was coming upon a curve, and then once I held it there for a short while. Very stable at 130, I felt no hesitation about taking it faster if I wanted to. Just keep your eyes down the road far enough, and remember the steering is tight... don't sneeze!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:57 AM
davidf

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Brief story. I'm 63 & my wife is 59. I've been taking her on some of the speed runs. Turns out she loves it & is quite comfortable. Last weekend I'm up to 125 or so on the above referenced road which has a number of different crops planted on each side. She's telling me about the crops we are whizzing by and says 'Oh, look at how healthly that green bean (or whatever) crop is". I responded, "Love I'm a little busy right now, tell me later!" LOL!

I only hope her confidence remains justified!
Now thats funny.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:02 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans 05
I've been up to 130 twice, once as a quick test and I backed off as I was coming upon a curve, and then once I held it there for a short while. Very stable at 130, I felt no hesitation about taking it faster if I wanted to. Just keep your eyes down the road far enough, and remember the steering is tight... don't sneeze!
I have taken gradual 20-30 degreeish turns at 140mph+ a couple of times, and the Z did OK. I backed off comming in to about a 45 degree turn at 145 because the rear started gradually slide as I was about to come in to it, had I attempted to make the turn, I would have problably spun. I made the turn at 125 OK. Lightly banked 90s are good up to about 65, 90 to 130 lightly banked you are really pusing it at 45mph.

Last edited by sq40; 06-09-2006 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:43 AM
mpowers

I would suggest to do a track day to gain some experince and more importantly stay safe.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:44 AM
05-Z

Just seems like an unnecessary risk to take, but that's just me.

Make sure you give the tires a once over before attempting, since you're in the "planning" phase....
Old 06-09-2006, 06:49 AM
iknowitsfast

fastest i got the car is 145ish on a long strech of highway, ill NEVER do that again. Scared the hell outta me. But i think it woulda been better if i woulda had newer tires too, it handled ok tho.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Chad68

Originally Posted by Manu
No offence but that is incorrect. Bikes take longer to brake than cars, as their contact patch with the road is much smaller. Of course a Yugo will not stop quicker than a superbike like an R1, but a car that can be compared to a R1 will stop quicker.

I will post proof later.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Chad68

I will post proof later.

Unless I'm wrong. I know for sure a sportbike can outbrake a lot of vehicles. It might be close with a Z. Still I would rather haul a$$ on a bike than trying to get a bunch of sheetmetal with paint chips to a stop
Old 06-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Chad68

I will post proof later.

Unless I'm wrong. I know for sure a sportbike can outbrake a lot of vehicles. It might be close with a Z. Still I would rather haul a$$ on a bike than trying to get a bunch of sheetmetal with paint chips to a stop
Old 06-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Chad68

I will post proof later.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:23 AM
dantez

I've gone up to 158mph on the digital gauge. Above 120mph the car begins to feel heaver. The weight is a reassuring feeling. The speed does not feel as if it overcomes the handeling, although I wasn't changing lanes. It was a smooth increase up to 158. I just coasted down to 100mph before braking. It lasted forever. It isn't the brightest of things to do, but be as safe as you can if your going to.

If your ever in Vegas... rent a Z for about $150 dollars a day, and take the 160 mile drive to Zion National Park. It's an amazing drive, miles of straight then great turns. You could rent an exotic but I'm still young, I even had to get my boss to rent the Z for me.

Note: If you hit the limiter it'll shoot you down 10mph, and it feels alittle concerning. Once, I get the ecu reflashed I'm sure she's got abit more left in her. 180?

Last edited by dantez; 06-09-2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:29 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Appreciate the input guys.

One thing i did not mention in my first post is that there are no ditches or trees/buildings on either side of the road I discussed........meaning no place for animals to hide & pop up at the last second. It is another reason I like this stretch for running hard.

Animals are a problem as several of you mention above. a couple weeks back I was on another road where I can crank it up (though not much over 100) and I notice a little white spot moving in a ditch down the road. I backed off quickly & here comes a damn goat out into the roadway. LOL!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:39 AM
xedes

You are sooo wrong my friend. Bikes take almost half the distance to stop than a car. Car=3500 lbs. Bike w/ riders=550-600 lbs. its physics!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Z_freak

i have had mine at 154 twice now and I cannot believe how stable the car is....to me it seemed a lil un-stable until i passed through 140 then it just sucked to the ground and it was tight.....for all who said look out for animals and all that heed the advice, things come very quickly at that speed as we all know and your reaction distance gets very short.....

slow down through the tranny, i did not even think about touching my brakes until I was back down to like 80 or so......

good luck, be safe and have fun......
Old 06-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Chad68

One thing I would like to add is that if it were me, I would personally not have my wife or anybody else in my car going that fast.

Would you really want them to check out, if you did?

Just a thought.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Z_freak

One thing I would like to add is that if it were me, I would personally not have my wife or anybody else in my car going that fast.

Would you really want them to check out, if you did?

Just a thought.

great point, I did one run alone and one with a friend of mine who said he wouldn't mind dying at 150mph so I said "then you just signed your waiver"
Old 06-09-2006, 10:06 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

I generally agree on not having another person along. The first few times I was over 110 and on up the speedo scale I was solo.. But once I was comfortable with a certain speed then I would bring Sherry along.

Still, criticism for doing so is valid.

Gals do get a rush from speed & turn into wet noodles! LOL!

Quick Reply: Questions about going over 130 MPH