Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hit a Deer AND a Possum last night!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 08:35 AM
k2we

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a Deer AND a Possum last night!!

Well.. I've been driving for just shy of 39 years and I never struck any type of animal... Until last night.. I was heading south on the Taconic Parkway in Columbia County, NY.. I was doing between 65-70 MPH on an empty road.. I saw 2 deer run across the road in front of me.. I let off the gas when all of a sudden a third deer tried to cross.. It struck my front bumper and I ended up running over it with both drivers side wheels..I though for sure I tore the entire front off.. I pulled off at the next exit to take a look.. I was surprised to find a very small dent just behind the front wheel.. That was it.. Guess I should consider myself very lucky.. Now for part 2.. I exited near my house and was doing 20 MPH when a Possum darted in front of me.. I hit it with the front wheel.. I just couldn't belive it!! When I got home, I took a look but saw no damage.. Just some blood and fur below my passenger door.. It washed off with water..I had the car put up on a lift to check for any other damage and everything looked fine.. Who would ever think I would hit 2 animals in one evening!!

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry & Saratoga Springs, NY 46,809 miles since Sept 17,2002
Old 06-23-2006, 08:53 AM
djnc

lol...quite a night...it could've been much worse...glad the Z made it out alive
Old 06-23-2006, 08:55 AM
taurran

I'd suggest picking up a new front bumper that's made for pushing animal carcasses out of the way. Something along the lines of this:

Old 06-23-2006, 08:58 AM
GMZ

I hit an aardvark when I was going through TX. I was so tired I saw it laying in the road but I wasnt sure what side it was on so I just held on! Worst sound Ive ever heard! Didnt break anything though, surprised.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:59 AM
tmounk

Animal Killer
Old 06-23-2006, 09:01 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

should've strapped the buck to your hood, took er home and made some saussage
Old 06-23-2006, 09:04 AM
cessna

Originally Posted by k2we
Well.. I've been driving for just shy of 39 years and I never struck any type of animal... Until last night.. I was heading south on the Taconic Parkway in Columbia County, NY.. I was doing between 65-70 MPH on an empty road.. I saw 2 deer run across the road in front of me.. I let off the gas when all of a sudden a third deer tried to cross..think I would hit 2 animals in one evening!!

Steve
Steve,

A word of wisdom...
When you see a doe or a buck slow right the hell down. Especially if your on a rural country road!
Deer travel generally in packs, chances are that when you first see one or two of them crossing a half dozen more are lying in wait behind the tree line... Its almost like they sent scouts out to check everything out before all heading out!
I'm not kidding
Old 06-23-2006, 09:42 AM
plumpzz

Cessna, the croc wrestler.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:50 AM
davids
F U StuLax18

Well.. I've been driving for just shy of 39 years and I never struck any type of animal... Until last night.. I was heading south on the Taconic Parkway in Columbia County, NY.. I was doing between 65-70 MPH on an empty road.. I saw 2 deer run across the road in front of me.. I let off the gas when all of a sudden a third deer tried to cross.. It struck my front bumper and I ended up running over it with both drivers side wheels..I though for sure I tore the entire front off.. I pulled off at the next exit to take a look.. I was surprised to find a very small dent just behind the front wheel.. That was it.. Guess I should consider myself very lucky.. Now for part 2.. I exited near my house and was doing 20 MPH when a Possum darted in front of me.. I hit it with the front wheel.. I just couldn't belive it!! When I got home, I took a look but saw no damage.. Just some blood and fur below my passenger door.. It washed off with water..I had the car put up on a lift to check for any other damage and everything looked fine.. Who would ever think I would hit 2 animals in one evening!!

I noticed your location. I used to live on Broadway in Dobbs Ferry for about 6 years right accross from the high school. I kinda miss that town....and Ardsley.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:00 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well there goes your PETA membership!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:08 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by GMZ
I hit an aardvark when I was going through TX. Worst sound Ive ever heard! Didnt break anything though...
Besides the aardvark.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:21 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by GMZ
I hit an aardvark when I was going through TX. I was so tired I saw it laying in the road but I wasnt sure what side it was on so I just held on! Worst sound Ive ever heard! Didnt break anything though, surprised.
I'm not sure if we have aardvarks in Texas but I'm quite sure what you ran over is an "armadillo." Either way, it's a road kill.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:51 AM
AZZGUY

Default Hit two animals

Yes, it could have been much worse - you could have hit a skunk!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:57 AM
GMZ

Originally Posted by z-u-later
I'm not sure if we have aardvarks in Texas but I'm quite sure what you ran over is an "armadillo." Either way, it's a road kill.
Yea I think thats what i was! I was confused, when I hit it I told my wife I hit an anteater! Yea I was zombified
Old 06-23-2006, 05:03 PM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by davidv
Well there goes your PETA membership!
LOL!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:55 PM
RANDY350Z

WILDLIFE -2, Z +2 points
Old 06-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Yeah, I have been hearing about a lot of road kill lately. I had my run in or is that a run over - a couple of weeks ago. Stupid Squirrel he just went up on his rear legs to listen to my sweet exhaust. We'll let just say that's the last thing he/she heard.

S#ck$ to be roadkill .......

Update - 6-24: This is too funny. I had another moron squirrel run out and played chicken with me today. I hit me brake and horn. He jumped up in the air and lit out for the bushes.
Attached Thumbnails Hit a Deer AND a Possum last night!!-squirrel-omfg.jpg  

Last edited by Z_Driver; 06-25-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Leslie

Originally Posted by tmounk
Animal Killer

Some night eh k2we? Glad it turned for the better. But it happens to all of us,tally for moi so far, im sure most of us here dont want to make acedome

But then again Im betting some are going for that medal

Last edited by Leslie; 06-24-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 AM
ANXIOUZ

^^^ lmao

My first thought when I read this post was to cue the announcer for Unreal Tournament: "Multi-Kill!!!" "Killing Spree!!!"
Old 06-24-2006, 06:53 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

animals ftl!!

Quick Reply: Hit a Deer AND a Possum last night!!