Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Potential Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:14 PM
whitetiger777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Buyer Questions

I have recently sold my 97 Eclipse GSX, and am looking for a new platform to work on. I was looking at a couple of cars untill came across the article in Modified magazine stating that the 350Z was the number one tuner car of the year. After learning that they start at around 300 hp stock I definatly would like some more info. I know that there are a couple difforent moddles; all I care about though is that it has a manual tranny and a LSD. The questions I have are:

Do you guys run regular or supreem?

What do you guys observe as your milles per gallon. I would like actual observations, not a quote from a book. I've seen people claim any where from 17 to 28 MPG. I would like ouners observations.

How easy is it to work on this car? I've hear rumours that if there is anything you have to do the engine, you have to yank it out of the car. Is this true, or except for the tight space can you work on this car rather easly?

Are there common things that break on this car? (i.e. On the Eclipse you are constanly looking for crank walk, or a balence shaft freezing) Or what do you find, either your self, or see repeatedly posted on the forums, as to something going wrong?

Also how do you visualy spot the difforent packages? Base, enthusiest, track touring, and so on?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:25 PM
ouch1011

Not to be off topic, but was your Eclipse green??

<--Also from Salem, OR. Also looking at Z cars lol
Old 06-24-2006, 11:29 PM
whitetiger777

No, Mine was white with a black aluminum wing. It had a JDM 6-bolt swap, EVO III Big 16G turbo, custom exhuast 660cc injectors, 190 fuel pump, ect, ect. If your thinking of the green one with the green wing, and the center part of the brake lights painted green, it is ouned by a friend of mine named Chris.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:32 PM
GFrnk69

Originally Posted by whitetiger777
I have recently sold my 97 Eclipse GSX, and am looking for a new platform to work on. I was looking at a couple of cars untill came across the article in Modified magazine stating that the 350Z was the number one tuner car of the year. After learning that they start at around 300 hp stock I definatly would like some more info. I know that there are a couple difforent moddles; all I care about though is that it has a manual tranny and a LSD. The questions I have are:

Do you guys run regular or supreem?

What do you guys observe as your milles per gallon. I would like actual observations, not a quote from a book. I've seen people claim any where from 17 to 28 MPG. I would like ouners observations.

How easy is it to work on this car? I've hear rumours that if there is anything you have to do the engine, you have to yank it out of the car. Is this true, or except for the tight space can you work on this car rather easly?

Are there common things that break on this car? (i.e. On the Eclipse you are constanly looking for crank walk, or a balence shaft freezing) Or what do you find, either your self, or see repeatedly posted on the forums, as to something going wrong?

Also how do you visualy spot the difforent packages? Base, enthusiest, track touring, and so on?
1) requires supreme gas
2) MPG depends on how u drive, if u drive easy, roughy 25mpg
3) The 05+ models are known to have less problems then the previous models
4) Hard to spot the different trim levels from the exterior.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Miko

Yo buddy.
I'm your MPG man :-) You can get 28 MPGs pretty easily in the city, with traffic, etc. Driving around with no traffic at like 2am (lol) you can get 30 in the city. My Z is a freakin civic dude, no joke - but you have to drive like a grandma, thats the catch. Note that its really difficult driving this car like a grandma, you have to have some big discipline, because I just lost mine today and did alot of freeway runs and city runs at WOT. I'm so pissed at myself Next time I tank up I'll promise to get 29+ MPGs hehehe
But seriously man, you'll enjoy the ride...it can be your racecar and your civic at the same time :-P
Old 06-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...lots of questions, I think most of the answers you could prob find w/ search, i had a GS-T waaay back when, trust me, stock Z > stock eclipse...modded Z > modded eclipse...as for mpg, i think around 16-17 city, 20-23 highway, yes, the space is pretty tight in the engine bay...as for 6mt, it comes in all trims, viscous LSD comes w/ some models (search), supreme gas only, 03-04 had many problems (search) not so much i heard w/ 05, not sure about 06...hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:38 PM
whitetiger777

It seems like there is a debate when it comes to octane ratings. Some say they run regular, so say supreem only, some say supreem only if you're forced air induction. This is based on the thread I read titled "retard at the gas station put in regular." So I'm not realy sure. I am currently debating between this car and a Honda S2000.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:55 AM
whitetiger777

Originally Posted by bugsbbunny
Wow...lots of questions, I think most of the answers you could prob find w/ search, i had a GS-T waaay back when, trust me, stock Z > stock eclipse...modded Z > modded eclipse...as for mpg, i think around 16-17 city, 20-23 highway, yes, the space is pretty tight in the engine bay...as for 6mt, it comes in all trims, viscous LSD comes w/ some models (search), supreme gas only, 03-04 had many problems (search) not so much i heard w/ 05, not sure about 06...hope this helps.
Ok, so I've bean browsing through old posts. What problems are you talking about?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 AM
Built2shredZ

How can you get 28 MPG in a 350z with city driving?? your definatly not calculating your gas right, on average with city driving you should get between 19-21 mpg at most...
Old 06-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Miko

Yeah, 19-21 if you drive the Z the way it *should* be driven
If you have the patience, then, fill her up, reset the trip monitor and the MPG guage and then: accellerate really slowly, shifting at 1800 RPMs and be in 6th @ 40mph. Do this you'll get 28MPGs easily, not only according to the guages, but also your trip monitor. After 13 or so gallons, fill her up and do the math, you should get close to 400 miles.. i dunno, but i swear on it you will get 28 if not higher!
Old 06-25-2006, 02:10 AM
whitetiger777

Wow, I've never come across so big of a dissagreement on MPG for a car before. 17-20 and 28-33 are quite a big gap. But if i am buying a used car how do I find out what package the car is. Aside from actulay seeing a GPS in the dash to give it away as a grand touring, how do I spot an enthusest, or track edition? These are the packages I am looking for, I just want to know how to find out what a Z is eith during looking at it or after. Is there a way to check if the car a LSD phyiscaly? I know with a miata, you jack up the rear end, put it in gear, then spin one of the tires. If the other tire spins the oposite way, the car has a LSD. Is this the same for a Z?