Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

please try downshifting from 4th to 3rd for me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:28 PM
roberto350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please try downshifting from 4th to 3rd for me!

I have my second tranny here, and Nissan, even though they are willing to change out my tranny AGAIN without hesitation, keep muttering "well, if you didnt drive like THAT..."

so is it me? All I am doing in downshifting from 4th to third when getting off the freeway.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:12 PM
ZON

I downshift from 4th to 3rd like THAT and I have no problem. It does it real good and she likes it!! I really like how she goes from 2nd to 1st at like 25 mph. She does that well too.
Best tranny I ever owned!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:36 PM
raceboy
Banned

I have my 2nd tranny also and now my tranny is starting to make the same noises it was making before in 3rd and 4th, but now it's making the noise in 6th!! 6th is hardly even used and I have never done a hard shift into 6th. Very weird.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:43 PM
s9am_me

4th to 3rd seems fine to me coming off the freeway. What symtoms are you experiencing??
Old 02-18-2003, 10:47 PM
zmadnez

Default What's the VIN of your Z?

Curious to the VIN of your Z. Please post them.

My VIN is 8618 and I have no problems with my Tranny.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:03 PM
s9am_me

i think its in the 5000's... but i remember it was made in Sept. 2002
Old 02-19-2003, 03:32 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default smoooooth

After 1 week of driving... no problems.... just a little notchiness going into 2nd gear. All others are a dream !

Hope you get his figured out.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:37 AM
Inova

man... i have been to a couple different z forums and a lot of people seem to be having problems with their tannys. this is really worrying me because im not sure how often this happens to ppl. what are the chances that i will have a faulty tranny?? oh yea roberto... beautiful car man that is the exact one i am getting as well...
Old 02-19-2003, 06:07 AM
Killermove

Default Re: smoooooth

Originally posted by fairladyZ in Japan
After 1 week of driving... no problems.... just a little notchiness going into 2nd gear. All others are a dream !

Hope you get his figured out.
The nothiness will go away throughout break-in.

I have NO PROBLEMS and I down shift 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd...all no problem. I always blip the throttle to help rev match, but 4th to 3rd shouldn't hurt anything either way (with the exception of redlineing 4th THEN going down to 3rd!).

That sucks about the tranny's. Keep us posted.

Ryan
Old 02-19-2003, 06:55 AM
g35or350z

I tried downshifting 4->3 and 3->2 today while getting off the freeway. No problems felt and very smooth. Now 1st gear is hard downshifting into unless going less than 3 mph.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:22 AM
michael350

Well from what I see.. You have an automatic.....If you wanted to shift you shoulda bought a manual......Besides that if your using it like an auto stick..... Your supposed to used it from a stand still.. when you downshift, You put tremendous strain on your transmition. My suggestion is dont downshift to 3rd.. You can go from overdrive too drive... but not "Drive" to 3rd top 2nd... especially not at higher speeds.......

And if you deciede to flame on me..... I dont care....... Your the one who's ruining your tranny not me....
Old 02-19-2003, 09:14 AM
roberto350z

are you talking to me michael? Oh wait, I dont have an auto... so youre definitely not talking to me. sorry...
Old 02-19-2003, 09:29 AM
roberto350z

also, my VIN is 2809, my buddies car is 27XX and he has the same problem. It seems these tranny's have weak third gear synchros. This is usually indicated by a car that grinds during down shifting. A personal theory of a mechanic is that the third gear is too "steep" and doesnt align well. For now I will downshift by rev matching, but I dont pay 30k for a car that I need to "band aid" with p*ssy driving. My dinky 1O year old civic never had a problem, and my 300zx didnt have a problem until it hit 100,000 miles.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:34 AM
nwind21

Sorry to hear about the tranny issues.

I've been listening to my transmission/engine since people have had problems with it and I haven't heard or felt anything that's odd.

What mileage are you at? I'm only at 2600 so perhaps I just haven't reached that wear and tear limit yet.

Gonna start speaking outa my a** but I wonder if the root of the problem is not THE transmission. i.e. perhaps something else in the drivetrain is defective and the end result is the problem you're seeing now? Kinda like... if your alignment is bad your tires will wear faster... but replacing the tires won't solve the problem even though that's where the you notice the wear & tear. Just a thought?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:50 AM
roberto350z

Originally posted by nwind21
Sorry to hear about the tranny issues.

I've been listening to my transmission/engine since people have had problems with it and I haven't heard or felt anything that's odd.

What mileage are you at? I'm only at 2600 so perhaps I just haven't reached that wear and tear limit yet.

Gonna start speaking outa my a** but I wonder if the root of the problem is not THE transmission. i.e. perhaps something else in the drivetrain is defective and the end result is the problem you're seeing now? Kinda like... if your alignment is bad your tires will wear faster... but replacing the tires won't solve the problem even though that's where the you notice the wear & tear. Just a thought?
I agree with the theory. Also, my first tranny had its problem at 1400 miles (same with my buddy) and my new tranny had the problem at mile 100.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:46 AM
JimH

Default HUH??

Say what? Where did you get this bit of erroneous information? If you took the time to note, the manual shift gate of the auto transmission has both the + symbol (for upshifts) and the - symbol for downshifting the transmission. Oh, and it is officially a 5th gear as in the 5AT transmission, not a 4 speed with overdrive as you intimate. (tho technically, 5th is an overdrive gearing, it is still a 5 speed transmission.) I have over 13,000 miles on my 5AT and can vouch for its ability to both upshift and downshift in the manual mode through the full range of gears. The owners manual gives clear instructions as to this ability. It will not "ruin" the tranny.
Before you spout supposed truths re: the Z, please check your facts first, and THEN apply them to the topic at hand. It is this kind of advice (unfounded) that steers those who are new buyers or pending Z owners off course.
BTW, Roberto clearly is having problems with his MANUAL tranny.
This is not meant be a flame (that you seem to be expecting) but simply correcting your post.
Sorry, first rant..... Rant now ended and we return you to your regular programming. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by michael350
Well from what I see.. You have an automatic.....If you wanted to shift you shoulda bought a manual......Besides that if your using it like an auto stick..... Your supposed to used it from a stand still.. when you downshift, You put tremendous strain on your transmition. My suggestion is dont downshift to 3rd.. You can go from overdrive too drive... but not "Drive" to 3rd top 2nd... especially not at higher speeds.......

And if you deciede to flame on me..... I dont care....... Your the one who's ruining your tranny not me....
Old 02-19-2003, 11:40 AM
zmadnez

Seems the tranny in the early production (possible pre- VIN 5000) may have an issue.

Anyone, having problems with their 6MT that have post- VIN 5000?
Old 02-19-2003, 12:03 PM
nwind21

Originally posted by roberto350z
I agree with the theory. Also, my first tranny had its problem at 1400 miles (same with my buddy) and my new tranny had the problem at mile 100.
Hmm... did Nissan check the transmission fluid for any abnormalities (burning, metal debris, etc.?) I know you can send engine oil in to labs to have the content broken down to check for irregular content ( like water, coolant, etc. )

If you got a third one put in and THAT starts having the same symptoms, what's the chances of getting 3 defective transmissions in a row? Especially if the transmissions were manufactured at different times and in different lots. That statistically doesn't bode well for the QA at the plant.

Anyways, I'd be interested to hear what develops.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:11 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by roberto350z
also, my VIN is 2809, my buddies car is 27XX and he has the same problem. It seems these tranny's have weak third gear synchros. This is usually indicated by a car that grinds during down shifting. A personal theory of a mechanic is that the third gear is too "steep" and doesnt align well. For now I will downshift by rev matching, but I dont pay 30k for a car that I need to "band aid" with p*ssy driving. My dinky 1O year old civic never had a problem, and my 300zx didnt have a problem until it hit 100,000 miles.
err....you should always rev match your downshifts. Do you like the jerky feeling you get? Plus, it puts extra stress on your clutch. Rev matching is DEFINATELY not considered "***** driving".
Old 02-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VIN is 4173 and I've downshifted plenty of times, 6-5, 5-4, 4-3, no grind, no noise, no problems. My only possible complaint is that occasionally it's hard to get into first while the car is doing a few MPH.

Quick Reply: please try downshifting from 4th to 3rd for me!