Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Burning - Heavy Traffic - Happen to everyone? Advice Please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 PM
syndacit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

odin I've gotten the same smell after a few times of driving my z, and I have to conclude myself it is most likely my own fault for burning the clutch

I'm used to a 5.7L v8 clutch, so I think I burnt my z's clutch and I could smell it sometimes, but I got mad cause the dealer kept saying it was the "protective spray" of the new transmission, he stopped the second the clutch gave out going down the freeway and almost causing a collision.

I'm getting it fixed at the moment, they dont know if its a defect or my inability to drive a clutch well. hopefully its a defect so I dont have to pay for a new clutch

But odin, I was told you can burn out a clutch in less then 5 minutes if you dont know what you're doing in a manual car...

(by you, I dont mean you, I mean person, as whole....generally speaking....ignore me >.< lol)
Old 07-05-2006, 09:53 PM
pinoyZ

No
Old 07-05-2006, 09:55 PM
syndacit

Originally Posted by pinoyZ
No
no what?

no on the 5 minute clutch burn out?
if so then a dealer owes me a free clutch

cause my clutch shouldn't burn out after less then 300 miles in about 5-6 days of driving from a dealership thats way to far away....
Old 07-05-2006, 09:56 PM
odin

Originally Posted by syndacit
(by you, I dont mean you, I mean person, as whole....generally speaking....ignore me >.< lol)
LOL, I knew that

Im not totally female, hehe

Anyway, this thread has moved here:
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/201942-heavy-traffic-slow-driving-slipping-clutch-happen-to-you-please-advise.html

Cheers

Odin
Old 07-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Mr_Q

The 350z's eletronic throttle is a thing of wonder.

Just let the clutch out real slow. Then feather the gas gently and then get it in to a slow crawl. Once the computer knows yer not mashing the gas, but feathering it, I can keep my foot on the brake in rush hour on the 405 crawling at 2mph, about 450rpm or so.

I rarely have to put the clutch back in. And even if I do, just repeat. No burning, no extra wear and tear.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:06 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Roast buddy.
Once again, please stop telling me know a clutch works, ok?
I can go to howstuffworks for that.
Apparently I overestimated your intelligence.

I simply wanted to know if other 350Z drivers out there experience the same thing I am.

Why turn this into an education class?.
Because you obviously need educated.

I dont care if I damage the clutch, driving like I want to.
I dont care if it shouldt not be driven this way.
Ignorance is bliss.

Again I say, all I wanted to know if what happens to me happens to others people out there.
And I answered your question. You slip the clutch, you toast the clutch, you smell burnt clutch. Yes this happens to people and is perfectly normal for your situation.

I wish people would just read posts and answer questions as they were aksed, and stop being condescending as you were.
I wish you would remove your head from your *** long enough to realize that you are being helped regardless if you like it or not.

Last edited by roast; 07-06-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 PM
mikeg8r

Odin, after reading a couple of your posts I'ld like to ask you a couple questions. So when you say you use the clutch to hold the car, I assume you mean the clutch is not fully engaged (i.e. your foot is still on it pressing it in, allowing it to slip). If you hold it like this long enough I believe you should get that burning smell. Like others have said with the Z, you don't need to drive like that. I will sometime partially engage my clutch in heavy traffic (i.e. move a couple inches, stop, move another inch, stop, etc), but only to get the car moving forward, then i press the clutch and put it back in neutral. On hills you need to give it more gas, but when you stop you still need to put it back in N. My guess is that you like to hold the car in partial gear on hills because you don't get that roll back, but I really don't think that is wise. I've been driving standard for most of my driving life (there was 4 years that I had an auto, i'm 35 now) but mostly trucks. It took me about 2 weeks of hill driving (I work in a really hilly area) to get the timing down so I hardly roll back at all when i let off the brake and put it into first and go. Now I don't even think about it. On really steep hills I still need to use the e-brake, but that's even easier to do. Anyway, try driving it without riding the clutch for a while and if you don't get that burning smell anymore then you will know what the problem was

GL

Last edited by mikeg8r; 07-05-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:33 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

i sometimes cant get back to first gear after stopping or going down a hill is that slipping. i have no experience with clutch. and some times the gears dont go though smoothly is that cuz im not stepping the clutch all the way? even tho i make all this mistake i dont smell anything burning
Old 07-05-2006, 10:35 PM
kPaNdA350

Hm.. Yeah, I've been having the clutch burning smell also for about the first 3 days since I've had the car. It's not so bad now. As someone on here said, i just let the car's space out until I have a clean and open cruise, then I go. I'm trying not to burn the clutch as much. It's either i got the hang of it, or the clutch burning smell goes away... I have around 400-500 miles on my Z also.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:38 PM
pinoyZ

Originally Posted by odin

A simple yes or no will do fine.

Odin
NO
Old 07-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Wow...if there wasn't the new rule about being disrespectful I would really tear into this guy...I would say things like "you're a complete idiot, your clutch is burning because you don't know how to drive stick" or..."if you can't figure out why it's happening you should buy an auto" or maybe a few other things about how retarded he is and shouldn't be allowed to continue using our bandwidth...but I'm not going to say those things because that would be disrespectful...
Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Bananax

Exactly.

Just not ready to listen to others.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:06 AM
odin

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
Wow...if there wasn't the new rule about being disrespectful I would really tear into this guy...I would say things like "you're a complete idiot, your clutch is burning because you don't know how to drive stick" or..."if you can't figure out why it's happening you should buy an auto" or maybe a few other things about how retarded he is and shouldn't be allowed to continue using our bandwidth...but I'm not going to say those things because that would be disrespectful...
Thanks for not being disrespecful, this is much appreciated
Old 07-06-2006, 05:22 AM
MustGoFastR

Lets make this real simple and answer your question first: I would say that more than 9 out of 10 Z drivers here do not experience this smell om a regular basis. This does not, however, indicate that there is something wrong with your clutch, it is because they know how a clutch works and how to drive the car properly without burning the clutch. I think you are asking so that you can figure out if your car is behaving normally or not and if you need a trip to the dealer. In my opinion, your car is bahaving perfectly normally for what you are doing to it. I doubt very much you will get any dealer to replace your clutch under warranty, telling them what you are telling us about your driving habits. So yes, the smell is normal, under the conditions, but no, you shouldn't be smelling it b/c it is a clear indicator of abuse and abnormal wear. You haven't mentions what other cars you have driven, but it doesn't really matter; all cars have their own manerisms and the way they like to be driven. The way you drive normally obviously doesn't agree with the Z. The Z is a sports car and you need to be a little more respectful of proper driving techniques when driving it, or you're going to making frequent trips to the dealer for repairs. If those are the conditions you drive in on a daily basis, perhaps you should have gotten the automatic transmission? Not trying to offend; just saying that it would be better suited for that kind of stop and go, uphill driving. At any rate, you know what the car is doing and that it isn't good for the car; it's up to you whether you want to keep on doing it and pay for the repairs or change your driving habits. Either way, good luck.

IMO, it really does no good to just go all over the place asking the same question fishing for the answer you want to hear. I doubt very much that you will get validation of what you are doing from anyone. The smell your clutch is producing is YOUR fault, not the car's. If other's are experiencing what you are, then they either learn from their mistake real quick or will also be making costly trips to the dealer. Deal with it. As other's have said, we couldn't really care less what you do; you are asking for advice and we are giving it; it's your problem if you don't like what you hear. This is not one of those cases where people are needlessly beating down the poster; people are trying to give you sound advice and you are being thick-headed.

Last edited by MustGoFastR; 07-06-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:45 AM
pedroosan

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Lets make this real simple and answer your question first: I would say that more than 9 out of 10 Z drivers here do not experience this smell om a regular basis. This does not, however, indicate that there is something wrong with your clutch, it is because they know how a clutch works and how to drive the car properly without burning the clutch. I think you are asking so that you can figure out if your car is behaving normally or not and if you need a trip to the dealer. In my opinion, your car is bahaving perfectly normally for what you are doing to it. I doubt very much you will get any dealer to replace your clutch under warranty, telling them what you are telling us about your driving habits. So yes, the smell is normal, under the conditions, but no, you shouldn't be smelling it b/c it is a clear indicator of abuse and abnormal wear. You haven't mentions what other cars you have driven, but it doesn't really matter; all cars have their own manerisms and the way they like to be driven. The way you drive normally obviously doesn't agree with the Z. The Z is a sports car and you need to be a little more respectful of proper driving techniques when driving it, or you're going to making frequent trips to the dealer for repairs. If those are the conditions you drive in on a daily basis, perhaps you should have gotten the automatic transmission? Not trying to offend; just saying that it would be better suited for that kind of stop and go, uphill driving. At any rate, you know what the car is doing and that it isn't good for the car; it's up to you whether you want to keep on doing it and pay for the repairs or change your driving habits. Either way, good luck.

IMO, it really does no good to just go all over the place asking the same question fishing for the answer you want to hear. I doubt very much that you will get validation of what you are doing from anyone. The smell your clutch is producing is YOUR fault, not the car's. If other's are experiencing what you are, then they either learn from their mistake real quick or will also be making costly trips to the dealer. Deal with it. As other's have said, we couldn't really care less what you do; you are asking for advice and we are giving it; it's your problem if you don't like what you hear. This is not one of those cases where people are needlessly beating down the poster; people are trying to give you sound advice and you are being thick-headed.

+1 and roast was trying to help.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Zakira

When I beat my daughter she cries. Does this happen to everyone's daughter? I mean, I've beaten every child of mine this way and they never cried. There must be something wrong with this one.

That wasn't disrespectful was it?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:35 PM
240Zplus110

I drive everyday in rush hour traffic both uphill and on flats -- never had the burning smell described.

Like some have already said, I let the clutch out till the car gets moving and then I press it back into coast. I don't care if someone decides to "take my place in the queue"... In rush hour there is no "rush".

I've driven a manual for 32 years and the only time I smelled burnt clutch is when I slipped it on purpose to avoid spinning the tires on a quick launch.

BTW... why is this same topic posted twice??? Isn't it painful enough??
Old 07-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im basically a newbie when it comes to manual trannies as this is my first manual and ive driven her for less then a year and less then 8000 miles. only time ive ever smelled my clutch was when i was pulling my car on to a lift coming in from a very steep incline. i learned my lesson after that. otherwise i have never smelled my clutch burning.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
mikeg8r

Originally Posted by Zakira
When I beat my daughter she cries. Does this happen to everyone's daughter? I mean, I've beaten every child of mine this way and they never cried. There must be something wrong with this one.

You hit the kid i mean nail right on the head
Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by Zakira

LOL

Quick Reply: Clutch Burning - Heavy Traffic - Happen to everyone? Advice Please.