Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Clutch Burning - Heavy Traffic - Happen to everyone? Advice Please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:08 PM
odin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I get banned for this message, well I dont give a F*&%

Listen, and listen damn good you morons!

You guys have obviously never driven in heavy traffic before, obviously.
Mostly because you people dont work and can drive whenever you feel like it.

In heavy traffic the cars move forward so slowly, that it takes a few minutes for the car in front of me to move forward by 2-3 car lengths. By this stage the driver behind is inching closer and closer to me because hes getting irritated I am not moving forward.

So Now I start to drive forward slowly, slowly releasing the clutch until the car starts moving.

Now before the clutch is fully released, or just when the clutch is fully released I am already close to the bumper of the car in front of me, and have to put the clutch back in.

So this goes on and on for like 15-30 minutes. Theres nothing I can do about it, nobody on this forum would be able to fully release the clutch and drive forward.

I am not talking about slow moving traffic, liek you are used to.

And no, I shoudlt have bought an Automatic, this traffic is not like this always, just once say every 2-3 weeks if theres and accicient or something.

So please stick your advice where it belongs if you cant answer a simple bloody question.

Goodbye!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:39 PM
derangedtoolman

Originally Posted by odin

In heavy traffic the cars move forward so slowly, that it takes a few minutes for the car in front of me to move forward by 2-3 car lengths. By this stage the driver behind is inching closer and closer to me because hes getting irritated I am not moving forward.

So Now I start to drive forward slowly, slowly releasing the clutch until the car starts moving.

Now before the clutch is fully released, or just when the clutch is fully released I am already close to the bumper of the car in front of me, and have to put the clutch back in.

So this goes on and on for like 15-30 minutes. Theres nothing I can do about it, nobody on this forum would be able to fully release the clutch and drive forward.

I am not talking about slow moving traffic, liek you are used to.

And no, I shoudlt have bought an Automatic, this traffic is not like this always, just once say every 2-3 weeks if theres and accicient or something.

So please stick your advice where it belongs if you cant answer a simple bloody question.

Goodbye!

no...i have been driving 2 years and i think i know way more than you do after 15 years....sorry dude they are right and i agree with them

EVERYONE has been in slow moving traffic get over it...we all have lives not just you

edit: i just usually read on thee forums...but this post was so idiotic i had to say something

Last edited by derangedtoolman; 07-06-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:46 PM
240Zplus110

How do I NOT take that personal? All I did was share my driving experience... and I even answered your question.

How the *ell do you know what my daily commute involves.. or whether or not I'm employed ??
Do I need to make it simpler for you to understand? NO -- I have not experienced a burning smell... but YOUR commute must be very unique in comparison to the rest of this community of Z owners... oh wait.. most of us don't commute.

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 07-06-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:52 PM
mikeg8r

I know his post is just flame bait but I can't help it...

Goodbye!
YOU don't know what heavy traffic is until you've driven to Los Angeles from Las Vegas on the 15 on a holiday weekend.
Also try driving the 405 past LAX in either direction during rush hour (which in L.A. starts at about 2PM and ends way past 7PM)
Unless you done either then don't try and tell me I have never driven in heavy traffic

I won't even comment how inane the rest of your last post was.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:56 PM
kPaNdA350

Originally Posted by mikeg8r
I know his post is just flame bait but I can't help it...

YOU don't know what heavy traffic is until you've driven to Los Angeles from Las Vegas on the 15 on a holiday weekend.
Also try driving the 405 past LAX in either direction during rush hour (which in L.A. starts at about 2PM and ends way past 7PM)
Unless you done either then don't try and tell me I have never driven in heavy traffic

I won't even comment how inane the rest of your last post was.
Oh.. Damn.. I've been tehre, I drove from LA to Vegas on New Years Day... the drive was a b*tch. Sat in traffic for about 2-3 hrs and only made it to Barstow.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:57 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Listening is what YOU should have done to begin with. Had you acted like an adult and listened to what was being said, you wouldn't be getting called out by everyone for being a no-driving noob. I'm not being disrespectful either - that's not my style - I'm just calling it exactly how I see it.

You guys have obviously never driven in heavy traffic before, obviously. Mostly because you people dont work and can drive whenever you feel like it.
As if your reading comprehension wasn't in question already, it sure as hell is now.

As stated previously, I am a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER. Are you smart enough to figure out what that means? It means I drive for a LIVING! It's what puts food on my plate and gas in my Z. If that doesn't pull any weight with you and you think your "experience" and "knowledge" extends beyond mine, well then by all means do whatever the hell you wish. If that were really the case you wouldn't have posted this dumbass thread in the first place.

Have fun having your clutch replaced. It should cost anywhere from 500-1000 USD. After a few clutches in a short period you might decide to remove your head from your ***. Then again, that entirely depends on if you have more money than brains.

And no, I shoudlt have bought an Automatic,
Damn straight. You should stick with public transportation.

How about removing your head from where it doesn't belong. I DID answer your question. I also gave you a host of helpful and accurate information that was 100% relevant, yet you still don't think you are doing anything wrong. I can't help it you don't know anything about automobiles and you get your feelings hurt when someone who does tries to help you. You don't want to listen? That's fine. Keep justifying your stupidity with more stupidity.

Last edited by roast; 07-06-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:33 PM
odin

Thanks guys.
This is actually quite funny now, hehehe

You guys have all actually indirectly answered my question.
At last.

If you guys drive in such heavy traffic as stated between LA, and blah blah, wherever.

Then there is a problem with my clutch. Because if you dont get that burining smell in that heavy LA traffic, then I shouldnt also.

End of the day you guys didnt read or understand my question.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

The problem isn't the way you're inching forward...it's the way you hold the clutch partially in and give it gas to hold yourself on a hill instead of using the brakes.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:02 PM
odin

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
The problem isn't the way you're inching forward...it's the way you hold the clutch partially in and give it gas to hold yourself on a hill instead of using the brakes.
Fair point. yes, I did do that occasionaly, but only when I could see the car in front of the one in front of me was starting to move and in a few seconds I would be able to start moving. This happened a few times on the uphill piece of road.

So if that little bit caused it to burn, ok fine, Ive just never experienced a clutch burning like that before ever. I used to get a new car every 6 months because I worked for a nissan dealer before, I I had stacks of demo cars to drive, and I never cared about the demo cars clutch, but still it never happened in any of those cars (more than 30), and my personal cars (more than 15).

So even though I did hold it inplace for short intervals, like expained above.
I still think it shoudlnt happen.

Anyway, this thread is not going anywhere, and its just abusive now, in all directions.

peace!
Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
irish27

I've owned 4 Nissans since 01, and they have all smelled hot to one extent or another when they are new.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:09 PM
mikeg8r

Originally Posted by kPaNdA350
Oh.. Damn.. I've been tehre, I drove from LA to Vegas on New Years Day... the drive was a b*tch. Sat in traffic for about 2-3 hrs and only made it to Barstow.
LOL, I was in vegas this New Years as well. Driving back was a *****. It took us about 8 hours end to end. At one point there was so much fog you could barely see the car infront and then there was all this tumbleweed flying around. The car next to me got hit in the grill and it was stuck to it for about a mile. Freaking hillarious... good times...
Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 PM
mikeg8r

Thanks guys.
This is actually quite funny now, hehehe

You guys have all actually indirectly answered my question.
At last.

If you guys drive in such heavy traffic as stated between LA, and blah blah, wherever.

Then there is a problem with my clutch. Because if you dont get that burining smell in that heavy LA traffic, then I shouldnt also.

End of the day you guys didnt read or understand my question.
Dude are you insane? ok, believe whatever you want to believe. Just take it back to the dealer already and why don't you let us know what they say.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 PM
odin

Originally Posted by mikeg8r
Dude are you insane? ok, believe whatever you want to believe. Just take it back to the dealer already and why don't you let us know what they say.
I might be insane.
More likely I was over reacting.

Today one the way home, I take my turn off and bam...what? Another traffic jam.

Anyway, long story short.

I again drove like before, but this time used the clutch even more just to test it again. This time it only slightly smelt, and I wasnt as gentle as yesterday.

I believe it is a new clutch/car thing and was being paranoid about my 2 week old car.

I'll see how it goes, but today was much better, and I doubt I am any better a driver than I have been than in the past 15 years.

The dealer emailed me and said I was to drive it for another few weeks, and if the problem does not go away, ie. possibly due to a new car thing, then I should bring her in and they would have a look at it.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:25 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.darwinawards.com/
Old 07-06-2006, 11:52 PM
theanswer0127

heavy traffic in new zealand? are the sheep trying to cross the road?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:47 AM
odin

Originally Posted by theanswer0127
heavy traffic in new zealand? are the sheep trying to cross the road?
Good one. hehehe
Actually we dont have 7 lane highways, so when a sheep gives birth on the single lane road, the entire towns traffic stands still
Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 AM
odin

Originally Posted by roast
Come on Roast.
Roast me with your 1000th post, and let the abuse really rip.
You'll feel better, I'm sure
Old 07-07-2006, 03:26 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Odin you should apologize to everyone on this forum for being a noob to the internet. Your first mistake was reading "tones." You can't see or read tones from written text man, you can only hear them. Therefore you have no idea what tone people are using by reading written text.

Please understand everyone of the posters that you have offended in this thread deserve an apology from you.

It is not that we think your question or you are dumb, instead it's the way you've responded to other's comments that deserves an apology.

And to answer your question:
do what your dealer told you to do. drive it for a while and see if it goes away. I had the same problem as you and it went away at around 5-6k miles on the odo. But the smell was inconstant and only happened a few times after traffic hour in LA.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:00 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
clutch will not be replaced under warranty; it is a wear item and pretty much anything that happens to it is driver fault.

You can drive amazingly slow in 1st with the clutch fully released; in fact, of flat pavement, if you release the pedal very slowly, you can let it up without giving the car any gas pedal and it will idle forward similar to how an auto trans does. Little trickier going up a slight hill, but you should be ableto work the gas well enough to keep the clutch engaged and do a slow roll. Otherwise, be ready to buy a new clutch.
^ what he said you just gotta learn your car
Old 07-07-2006, 07:04 AM
eddyrox

Originally Posted by irish27
I've owned 4 Nissans since 01, and they have all smelled hot to one extent or another when they are new.
06 Track model. approximately 400 miles. 6 sp, M/T. driving standard trannies forever (since 1985 - F*CK I'm old). anyway, I agree w/ most here that "riding" the clutch is not an advisable practice (even on steep inclines). I drive in Los Angeles everyday. Traffic? LA defines the term "gridlock".

To answer your question, I'd say a very "slight" smell initially, but nothing now.

Keep rockin'.
mike.

Quick Reply: Clutch Burning - Heavy Traffic - Happen to everyone? Advice Please.