2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Deep Water

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:54 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Deep Water

OK, HERE WE GO... LAST NIGHT HEADING HOME 7/5/06 AROUND 10:00PM PARKVILLE MD. ITS RAINING BUCKETS, WIPERS FULL SPEED CANT SEE A DAMN THING. SO I PULL OVER INTO A PARKING LOT AND WAIT ABOUT 15 MINUTES. ANYWAY ON WITH THE STORY. WHEN I WENT TO LEAVE THE STORM DRAIN HAD BACKED UP OUT ON THE MAIN ROAD THST I HAD JUST DROVE INTO THE PARKING LOT ON (I DID NOT KNOW THIS AT THE TIME). LONG STORY SHORT GOING ABOUT 5MPH DOING MY BEST TO SEE IN THE DARK AND RAIN I HIT SOME DEEP WATER, PROBABLY AROUND 10" DEEP. I IMMEDIATELY LET OFF THE ACCELERATOR AND THE CAR STALLED OUT. I THINK I MAY HAVE SUCKED WATER RIGHT INTO THE INTAKE, IT WAS ALMOST INSTANT. AS SOON AS I HEARD THE WATER SPLASH UNDER THE CAR IT SHUT OFF, NO TIME TO REACT. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE TO START?? WARRANTY?? INSURANCE?? OUT OF MY OWN POCKET?? COULD THE MOTOR BE "HYDRO-LOCKED" THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS WORKING AND THE STARTER KICKS BUT WONT TURN THE MOTOR. H E L P! ! ! ! !
Old 07-06-2006, 04:05 AM
slam

I posted somethign similiar earlier because I had to drive through water over a foot deep today. But my car didn't shut off. It's still bone stock and I see you have a CAI so maybe that helped suck in more water. You should probably get that car to the dealer a.s.a.p. unless somewhere here knows an easy fix for you.

Next time I get caught in a monsoon and there's over a foot of water ahead...I'm just going to turn on my hazards and sit there 'til the traffic behind me passes and I can back up and take another route. Sports cars just aren't designed to handle that crap.

Last edited by slam; 07-06-2006 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:12 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

If you sucked up water, don't worry, it's not a major drama. Take your spark plugs out completely, and then crank your engine over a few times. This should force all the water out. Then put the plugs back in, and she should fire right up. Also, if i were you i would swap out to a ram air intake, not only is it proven to give a little bit more power, but you wont have that problem again. Just some friendly advice. But definitaley try the spark plug thing, and if that doesn't work, then you should take it to the dealer.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 AM
tmounk

Originally Posted by DROPPEDIT2WCE
OK, HERE WE GO... LAST NIGHT HEADING HOME 7/5/06 AROUND 10:00PM PARKVILLE MD. ITS RAINING BUCKETS, WIPERS FULL SPEED CANT SEE A DAMN THING. SO I PULL OVER INTO A PARKING LOT AND WAIT ABOUT 15 MINUTES. ANYWAY ON WITH THE STORY. WHEN I WENT TO LEAVE THE STORM DRAIN HAD BACKED UP OUT ON THE MAIN ROAD THST I HAD JUST DROVE INTO THE PARKING LOT ON (I DID NOT KNOW THIS AT THE TIME). LONG STORY SHORT GOING ABOUT 5MPH DOING MY BEST TO SEE IN THE DARK AND RAIN I HIT SOME DEEP WATER, PROBABLY AROUND 10" DEEP. I IMMEDIATELY LET OFF THE ACCELERATOR AND THE CAR STALLED OUT. I THINK I MAY HAVE SUCKED WATER RIGHT INTO THE INTAKE, IT WAS ALMOST INSTANT. AS SOON AS I HEARD THE WATER SPLASH UNDER THE CAR IT SHUT OFF, NO TIME TO REACT. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE TO START?? WARRANTY?? INSURANCE?? OUT OF MY OWN POCKET?? COULD THE MOTOR BE "HYDRO-LOCKED" THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS WORKING AND THE STARTER KICKS BUT WONT TURN THE MOTOR. H E L P! ! ! ! !
My friend did the same thing a couple weeks ago, he has a 03' RSX Type S with a cold air intake with the filter less than 10 inches off the ground. The engine cut off on him as well. After 15 min, the engine cranked and he was fine. Well, he thought he was fine, I told him I did the same thing with my 97 Accord, same set up as him. Lowered, AEM intake, but a lot worse. My block was completely flooded. I was stuck in the water and my floors got flooded as well. I had to get towed to my house were my cousin helped me fix the problem. When I drained the oil, it was like mud, literally, we had to crank the engine while the spark plugs were out. I’ll never forget it, tons of water splashing out while we cranked it from the engine. I thought the engine was done. But after cleaning it out and letting it dry out, the car is still running strong today.

As for my friend with the RSX, he thought he was good, but water did get into the oil. I convinced him to change the oil, I even paid for it. When we drained the oil, we noticed the oil was very loose, so after the oil was completely drained, we filled the empty oil bottles and the first bottle had about ¼ cup of water, all together there was probably half a cup of water that accumulated in the oil. We also had to change the spark plugs because the ends were burnt. Now the car runs better before, so don’t sweat it. Just get the oil out and check the spark plugs and make sure all the water is out of the engine.

Good Luck, hope everything works out fine for your Z.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:02 AM
abyss

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
If you sucked up water, don't worry, it's not a major drama. Take your spark plugs out completely, and then crank your engine over a few times. This should force all the water out. Then put the plugs back in, and she should fire right up. Also, if i were you i would swap out to a ram air intake, not only is it proven to give a little bit more power, but you wont have that problem again. Just some friendly advice. But definitaley try the spark plug thing, and if that doesn't work, then you should take it to the dealer.
Sorry but that gave me a good laugh. You can't always blow the water out, and everytime you attempt to crank it you push the water in further. Saying its not major when someone sucks water up in their car is just stupid.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

It Was Major Drama Last Night When I Was Dead On The Road And Needed A Snorkle To Stand Outside Lmao!! Ill Try Pulling The Plugs, Turning The Motor Over, And Changing The Oil Crossing My Fingers And Praying The Whole Time. Cold Air Intake Is Definetly Being Replaced With A The Jwt!!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Originally Posted by abyss
Sorry but that gave me a good laugh. You can't always blow the water out, and everytime you attempt to crank it you push the water in further. Saying its not major when someone sucks water up in their car is just stupid.

If you read his post, it says that the motor wouldn't turn over when he tried to crank it. That means the water has already got to the cylinder and caused a hydraulic lock, so at this point, the worse that can happen is that water goes out. I'm a marine engineer and i work with engines flooded with sea water every day (which is worse than fresh water, in case you didn't know), and yes, you can blow the water out of the engine, and as long as you monitor your engine closely when you first run it up, and change the oil, your totally fine. So yes, sucking up water in your engine, as long as it doesn't bend a rod or something, it is totally fine!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:07 AM
pchong154

its been raining like crazy in MD..... hope you get everything worked out
Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
tmounk

I live in Chantilly, VA it's been pouring all month long, lots and lots of floods
Old 07-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Fletch69z

Ins. if you can't get it to turn over. That's a claim for sure.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:37 AM
MoJ

Won't crank at all or just won't start/run?

There are a million things that could cause it to not start after the engine bay has been drenched. Some cure themselves after drying out. Are there any signs of water in the intake or on the filter? Don't freak for the worst just yet.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
zdotcom

I hydrolocked my 91 300zx and eventually was totaled by my insurance company. thankfully they paid for everything. unfortuately not a new engine.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
thefastestz

WHOA....i had this happen to me back in october....EXACTLY to a T....witht he same feeling you had.

Well to make a long story short....after 2 days it dried out....i thought the motor was locked....but NO...it cranked two days later and drove fine....had a CEL....

I took it to the dealer....they cleaned my intake...cleared the code...been on the road ever since..
Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

its gonna take more then that to hydro lock your car i think. some guy earlier last month had a similar incident and it just turned out to be wet spark plugs. i still have no idea why anyone runs cai's on our cars.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:06 PM
ihatepotholes

a lot of people think they hydrolock their engine because of the intake... which is not completely true, most of time u hydrolock through ur exhaust... when u let go of the gas... water and ur air flow creats bubbles, thats when water gets sucked into ur exhaust, header etc...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:08 PM
ihatepotholes

Nexx whos that girl in ur avatar anyway... she's gorgeous, she looks mix
Old 07-06-2006, 03:53 PM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by ihatepotholes
a lot of people think they hydrolock their engine because of the intake... which is not completely true, most of time u hydrolock through ur exhaust... when u let go of the gas... water and ur air flow creats bubbles, thats when water gets sucked into ur exhaust, header etc...
I don't think you have ever done this. If your engine is running, it is putting pressure on the exhaust, going out the tailpipe. Those bubbles you see are not the result of water displacing air (or exhaust), it is the exhaust gas making them. 99.9% of the time (maybe even greater), it is because water got sucked up into the intake. I've done it to three cars now, and have become rather proficient at getting them back on the road in under 30 minutes.
Now for that 0.1% that could potentially happen through the exhaust. Is it possible? Yes, but you'd have to be at such an extreme angle for the water to travel that far up the piping and up your headers, not to mention the fact that the exhaust itself would have to not vaporize the water and push it backward, or simply be pushed back by the pressure itself. So, I won't call it impossible, but I think I have a higher chance of getting hit by lightning.

To the OP, do as ReV2Red stated, but also change your fluids in the tranny, engine, and rear end. If done, you should have no problems.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatepotholes
Nexx whos that girl in ur avatar anyway... she's gorgeous, she looks mix
100% korean. she is a pop singer. Lee Hyo-Ri, do a google search, you'll find many pics. she is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:37 PM
lilaznxboi08

i think you should get a bypass valve, which is the same thing as your intake, a foam cone that sucks in air, it just is much closer to your engine, where water cant reach, it comes with the nismo intake. it basically sucks in air if your intake is soaked. it can save you
Old 07-07-2006, 06:04 AM
ihatepotholes

Originally Posted by CAN0802
I don't think you have ever done this. If your engine is running, it is putting pressure on the exhaust, going out the tailpipe. Those bubbles you see are not the result of water displacing air (or exhaust), it is the exhaust gas making them. 99.9% of the time (maybe even greater), it is because water got sucked up into the intake. I've done it to three cars now, and have become rather proficient at getting them back on the road in under 30 minutes.
Now for that 0.1% that could potentially happen through the exhaust. Is it possible? Yes, but you'd have to be at such an extreme angle for the water to travel that far up the piping and up your headers, not to mention the fact that the exhaust itself would have to not vaporize the water and push it backward, or simply be pushed back by the pressure itself. So, I won't call it impossible, but I think I have a higher chance of getting hit by lightning.

To the OP, do as ReV2Red stated, but also change your fluids in the tranny, engine, and rear end. If done, you should have no problems.
u might wanna check with all the garages then... they will tell u the same thing i told u...

Quick Reply: Deep Water