Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z $28K better than GSR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:31 PM
cvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally love the GSR. The B18 motor is one of the great tuner motors out there.

right now i have a 350Z touring as my weekend car and my commuter car is a 99' civic dx...when the dx motor blows, guess what's comming in place of it...he,he.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:41 PM
MeetJoeAsian

I'm actually looking for a Type-R for a toy car, I'm still gonna keep my Z, but I want to see what's everyone's take on that going between a Z and Type R?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:51 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
I'm actually looking for a Type-R for a toy car, I'm still gonna keep my Z, but I want to see what's everyone's take on that going between a Z and Type R?
The type R is uber fun compared to the GSR...25 more hp plus a great factory tuned suspension. the type R's come with a premium price since they are more rare than the gsr. i think a gsr with type r cams with shock and spring combo will garner closer and more economical results...it just won't come with the type r stickers, 5 spoke wheels, and emblems...lol
Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I know what you mean about Hondas. Just that nimble quick agile feeling that makes it fun to drive. I built a turbo EG just to keep around, I can't give up on the Hondas. The Z is pimp though you can't really get that factor with many Hondas.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 07-07-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Kam350z

Definately check out an S2k. You'll probably like it much more than a Z.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:59 PM
chuquison

Originally Posted by Riggz
I went from a GSR also. My gsr handled amazing after suspension upgrades. I miss driving a slammed car, but the attention I get in the Z is so much better. I also didnt want to look like just another street racer in the gsr, so I got a more 'mature' car...the Z!!!

I miss vtec sometimes, but would never go back to it after having the Z now.
mature car? why not get the S2000 and still have the Vtech, I built my gsr twice the first time it got stolen second time around here are the stats:
head: skunk2 stage 2 cams, valve springs and retainers. 3 angle valve job.
aem cam gears. milled out type r intake manifold. bigger fuel injectors 9mm sparkplug lines and msd ignition and blaster cap.
block: civic type r pistons and eagle rods blue, printed crank shaft, apr studs.
xtra: aem cold air intake, dc 4-1 headers, apexi catback. hondata piggyback, apexi vtech controler.
trans: jun flywheel, act stage 2 clutch and thats all folks
it sounded sweeeeeeeeeeeet when vtech kicked in. i dont know what it really put out but it was very fast and to tell you the truth it was faster than the Z, top end the z wins but just the feel of the GSR was priceless when you stood at a light and a mustang v8 would pull up and not notice the car was built and having his butt handed to him ahh memories, the funny part all that work and maybe i spent 9-11k on it try doing that not bad.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:09 AM
rodney35

Originally Posted by zxpwr
-acura integra GSR

make your lil bro pay and you will feel better..
lol
Old 07-08-2006, 12:39 AM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by VN_350z
people pay attention to the Z?
Not 'round these parts...
Old 07-08-2006, 12:43 AM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Went from an RS to the Z (I know, not exactly the same...). Kept the RS as the daily commuter.

My take? RWD > FWD. But that RS still runs pretty well for 215k miles on the odo.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:53 PM
fusionchicken

i used to have a 2000 gsr, and now i have an ap1.

if u liked the idea of VTEC and high revving motor (please dont slaughter the spelling ppl ) and u like nimbleness, u should definitely get the s2000 instead of the z33.

the z33 is completely opposite of the Honda's: z33 is heavy (though very well balanced), low-revving, with a big displacement engine, whereas the gsr/s2k are lighter (both around 2800lbs), small displacement engine and 8k+ redline.

if u're afraid that u'll miss the nimbleness of the gsr, the s2k is the better car for you IMO. i love the s2k and the Z (hope to get a Z soon). the Z has more low end torque, so it's much easier to live with on a daily basis and easier to drive faster. it is also faster than the s2k in acceleration (definite from a roll, from a dig driver's race up to about 70mph (after which the z33 will walk away) due to s2k's lighter weight, though 6-8k rpm launches for the s2k makes it difficult to drive right)

the z33 requires more effort to drive in the twisties due to its weight, whereas the s2k is more point and shoot because it's so nimble. both cars have really good traction, however at the limit if careless the ap1 is a bit prone to snap oversteer.

also the s2k with rwd and similar weight with the gsr will SLAUGHTER the gsr in the handling department stock for stock. (say bye bye to understeer (appliecable with the z33 as well)) it is a very big difference that is noticeable the first time u drive it. also the vtec crossover is VERY different than the vtec xover on the gsr IMO the s2k is everything the gsr is performance wise, but to the next level.

the 350z and s2k both achiever similar performance via very different approaches. however based on ur description the s2k sounds more right to u. good luck mate. check out www.s2ki.com

Last edited by fusionchicken; 07-08-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Mantis3024

Right now in my garage is my 2001 GSR and 04 350Z. My Z has been sitting there for the past 4 weeks untouched and undriven. Why? Because the GSR is MUCH more enjoyable to drive. I've actually been planning on selling my Z for over 3 months now but havent had the time to de-mod it. Ive had the Z for about 2 years now and the glamour and hype has died long ago for me. Sure its a nice looking car but theres a ton more on the road now than there was when I got it so its nothing special now. If you plan on making the Z a daily driver, I strongly suggest you thuroughly test drive it and make sure you'll be comfortable with the way it drives and feels. I personally am much happier with the GSR. Everything about it is smooth. The ride, the clutch, the gearbox, and the sound of the motor. Now that you're wealthier I suggest you start saving your money for something better or investing it. I just purchased a condo last thursday so the Z definately has to go and the GSR is staying.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:19 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Why don't you get both Z & S2000 like me. Both cars are great. S2000 handles better than Z. Gearbox is way better. But Z is little bit faster and sound way meaner
Attached Thumbnails 350Z K better than GSR?-350z_small.jpg  
Old 07-08-2006, 06:03 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GSR is a fun car!! That and the last prelude....ive driven both a couple of times and that high end VTEC rush is fun and addicting. I'd probably kill a car like that if i owned one. Never driven the new RSX-S, i wonder what its like in comparison to the old Prelude and GSR Integra?

I LOVE the torque of my Z though...and it will rev too!!! =)
Old 07-08-2006, 06:30 PM
evolved326

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
Right now in my garage is my 2001 GSR and 04 350Z. My Z has been sitting there for the past 4 weeks untouched and undriven. Why? Because the GSR is MUCH more enjoyable to drive. I've actually been planning on selling my Z for over 3 months now but havent had the time to de-mod it. Ive had the Z for about 2 years now and the glamour and hype has died long ago for me. Sure its a nice looking car but theres a ton more on the road now than there was when I got it so its nothing special now. If you plan on making the Z a daily driver, I strongly suggest you thuroughly test drive it and make sure you'll be comfortable with the way it drives and feels. I personally am much happier with the GSR. Everything about it is smooth. The ride, the clutch, the gearbox, and the sound of the motor. Now that you're wealthier I suggest you start saving your money for something better or investing it. I just purchased a condo last thursday so the Z definately has to go and the GSR is staying.
Man! thats exactly what I am scared of
Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Z is a SPORTS CAR. Dont buy it unless you are prepared for that.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:33 AM
MeetJoeAsian

Originally Posted by MyZ4U2C
The Z is a SPORTS CAR. Dont buy it unless you are prepared for that.
+1....don't buy it and expect a luxury ride....
Old 07-09-2006, 08:18 AM
evolved326

Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
+1....don't buy it and expect a luxury ride....

I am not. All I am saying is will I miss nimbleness and agility over brute power and RWD. The GSR with TYPE-R suspension is harsher by far than the Z's. The Z is the one that feels luxurious.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:30 AM
angelzhope720

To be honest with you I used to look down on GSR's and Type R's until I raced my friend's. He has a Type R with a b18c1 (he blew his c5). Even so with some mods (not sure how much), from a 70mph roll we both dropped it on 3rd and he stayed pretty close to my Z. Although he didn't pass me, for less than half the price of my Z that's a well rounded car.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:42 AM
fusionchicken

yea the gsr is a much harsher ride than the 350z....after driving that thing for a year i'm not used to talkin on cell phones on the highways anymore lol
Old 07-09-2006, 10:56 AM
cvt

Originally Posted by MyZ4U2C
The Z is a SPORTS CAR.
it is? i thought it was an overweight touring car with a cookie cutter engine that's found in 10 other nissans....lol. I kid! I kid!...lol

but i think people associate harsh ride to sportiness which really isn't the case. for example my koni yellows make my Z ride more tollerable and handle better than the harsh stock ride.

Quick Reply: 350Z $28K better than GSR?